Default IRAN: SWAP SAILORS FOR OUR JAILED SPIES

By Rupert Hamer Defence Correspondent Rupert.Hamer@Sundaymirror.Co.Uk

HARDLINERS who seized 15 British sailors and marines will demand a "prisoners swap" of Iranian agents to secure their release.

Up to 50 Iranian "spies" have been captured and imprisoned by British troops in secret operations in southern Iraq in the last four years.

Now Government officials are having to consider setting them free to save the eight sailors - one a woman - and seven Royal Marines held by Iranians.

The revelation came as the sailors were interrogated by the Iranian secret service after reportedly being moved to the capital, Tehran.

Meanwhile Foreign Office minister Lord Triesman spent an hour with Iran's ambassador in London demanding their safe return.

The ambassador, Rasoul Movahedian, responded by blaming Naval personnel for straying into "territorial waters".

The sailors, serving on frigate HMS Cornwall, had been on two inflatable speed boats searching for smugglers coming from Iraq.

But shortly after boarding a small boat on the Shatt al Arab waterway on the Iran-Iraq border to check for illegal goods, they were surrounded by Iranian Revolutionary Guard gunboats. Led away under armed guard, the sailors were taken to a nearby base.

Yesterday Iranian military official General Ali Reza Afshar said the sailors had all "confessed to illegal entry into Iran's waters".

He said: "They are being interrogated and have confessed to aggression into the Islamic Republic of Iran's waters."

Afisherman on the Shatt al-Arab who witnessed the incident said the British had definitely been in Iraqi waters.

Last night a senior Whitehall source said: "The freeing of agents will almost certainly be one of Iran's demands - and there certainly will be demands.

"Some have been arrested, some have been repatriated, but many are still being questioned under lock and key.

"Their imprisonment has enraged Iranian leaders - most of whom do not even recognise Iran's borders with Iraq."

Tensions are already high between Iran and the West, as the UN voted last night for tougher sanctions against Iran's plans to go ahead with its programme to create a nuclear weapon.

Plans for President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to address the UN in New York yesterday were cancelled amid claims that visas had been obstructed.

A SERIES of suicide bombs targeting Iraqi police ripped through Baghdad yesterday, killing more than 60 people.

In the worst attack, at least 20 died when a lorry full of explosives blew up by a police station in the Dora district.

5 Star Poster

Counter offer:

How about you towelheads not touch one hair on their bodies, return them and we won`t dust off these toys and carpet bomb your carpet flying asses:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b52_bombs_156.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	87785  

When people abandon the truth, they don’t believe in nothing, they believe in anything.

5 Star Poster

2007-03-25) — "A source close to Dick Cheney said today that the vice president has suggested freeing 15 British sailors and marines from Iranian captivity by trading former President Jimmy Carter for the hostages.

The deal, which Mr. Cheney reportedly believes “has a certain poetic justice to it”, would require an executive order signed by President George Bush, but the unnamed source said presidential adviser Karl Rove “can take care of that as usual without bothering the president with the details.”

White House insiders said the trade would not violate the Bush administration’s policy of refusing to negotiate with terrorists, “since only one party in this deal would receive anything of strategic value.” "

When people abandon the truth, they don’t believe in nothing, they believe in anything.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by White_Male_Canada
    Counter offer:

How about you towelheads not touch one hair on their bodies, return them and we won`t dust off these toys and carpet bomb your carpet flying asses:
    Real life is not a Rambo or Chuck Norris flick.

While if I could go back in time and change things, God knows I would, I also realize that such a thing is impossible. So I just have to move on with my life and make sure that I come out the other side a better person. That’s all there is too it.

I predict, in this thread, vestboy and/or sheepmike will ring in with funny pictures or high school insults. Also, I predict they will never side with America or Great Britain. I further predict they will get manipulative with words and double talk.

Rookie Poster

tony blair has a choice. be jimmy carter or ronal regan

Quote Originally Posted by corbomite
    tony blair has a choice. be jimmy carter or ronal regan
    Good ol' ronal. I think you're confusing Grenada with Iran though. Oh... no... wait... so.... you think Blair can either launch a failed Delta rescue attempt or sell arms to Iran?

I think someone should... those Sandanistas could start popping up again all over the place.