Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Professional Poster

I am thinking, yes again, of taking a months vacation in Thailand this summer. Ive read about Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket and I was thinking that Phuket sounds most like what i was looking for. Beaches, fishing and diving etc etc. Plus I want to do some actual Muay Thai matches while im there...

I would also like to go see some mountain temples and also the temples in Chiang Mai while im there. Id also like to see some of the more rural areas that probably wont interest the average sex tourista.

Bangkok itself reads like too much of a tourist trap for me to want to burn any time there, no interest whatsoever.

Ive read all about the phillipines as well, and how you cant drink the water anywhere and its filthy etc etc. I DO NOT want to get sick while im there or catch and disease or parasite lol...

I would much prefer to stay in someones house while im there and ive read that such accomdations are availible, however Im very concerned about theft which is why most travel guides recommend you keep everything you can in your hotels safe. ..I know though that im not going to get an immersion in the culture staying at a hotel though...I would be far to tempted just to stay in the hotel and limit my socializing to only the people I must interact with.

How does one go about securing lodging while staying safe?? Are there reputable umm....what do they call em again...errr.....Guides? no thats not it...A girl you can hire to travel around with you that makes sure you dont wind up dead in a ditch somewhere lol...Sometimes you see thai people advertising come stay in my home, my daughter will show you around...umm...yeah okay lol>

Should I rent a safe at a bank while im there, or do i still have to worry about being rolled in my bed?

Here are my thoughts...

If you wanna see alot and do a variety of things in Thailand,try STA travel and ask them about their guided tours of Thailand.My first time there thats what I did and had a very cool time.

If you would rather not do the tour thing heres what I suggest.

Fly into BKK and spend 3 days there,then head south to Surat Thani and then head into Khao sak National park

http://www.khaosok.com/

Once inside you can chill at any of the secluded river lodges.Arts River lodge is real nice and they even had an older ladyboy working there.Its a beautiful spot on the river,wild monkees come down every afternoon and u can feed them and go hiking and exploring into the mountains.Theres a cool spot in a cave where the local monks have created a temple right inside the cave.
    There are also tree house lodges and even floating houses on a huge freshwater lake where u can fish and wrestle pythons...fun times.

For diving the best spot is Koh Tao

http://www.kohtao.com/

From there you can hit Phuket or Koh Samui

http://www.kohsamui.org/photos.html

or on the fullmoon go to Ko Phagnan where they have all nite raves on the beach til daylight

http://www.kohphangan.com/index2.html

Thailand is a very safe place,and a little common sense will go a longways..leave all your expensive jewlery at home,carry travelers cheques and dont be an ugly farang and you will be fine.

For ladyboys hit NANA in BKK and if you find a girl you like you might be able to persuade her to be your travel companion(for a nominal fee of course)

Food is generally safe,if you can handle the chilis that is,and water is fine as long as you stick to bottled,which is available everywhere.
    You will find most folks speak English in BKK and in most of the touristy places,but the further away you get the english becomes dodgy at best.

The thai Baht is out of control right now and its the strongest I've ever seen it,which is bad news for travellers.

Shopping and haggling is an art form,but basically on the street level always counter offer 1/3 what the original quoted priceis and meet somewhere in the middle....its like a sport to the Thais and they usually win 99.9% of the time even if you do get what you think is a great deal.

I love it in Thailand,akthough living there can be a hassle,and of course since I prefer latinas im a bit outta luck w/ the girls but its the price one pays to live in paradise.Hope this helps.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Pretty much what DJ said Blackadder.

A tetanus shot/booster wouldn't harm you to give that extra safety.
    Bottled water is everywhere and cheap.

Thailand is extremely safe compared to other countries (like the PI) and your at as much risk from your fellow travellers than the Thais.

Don't discount Bangkok all together. The King's Palace is fantastic and a the river area/Chinatown for older Bangkok - I've done 15 mile walks around Bangkok city discovering new places and always felt safe.
    Also Ayuttayah (?) is a couple of hours outside Bangkok and an absolute MUST visit.

If you have time a sidetrip to Cambodia is cheap, easy and safe. Any travel agent will arrange a visa and tickets for you. Hotels in Phnom Penh are cheap. Siem Reip is where Angkor Wat is. If you go there hit me up for more info.

Make a copy of your passport and upload it to a yahoo email account (ie send it to yourself) - and it's always accessable "just in case".

I'm not sure about staying in peoples houses as you mentioned - I think you might be getting mixed up with guest houses - which are more like smaller hotels/hostels. You can share a room but for the $1 or so more get your own room and private bath. A/C is more.
    There are loads of guesthouses in Chiang Mai - and most will arrange a trip with a guide into the hill tribes village. We took a 3day/2night one. They take you into middle of nowhere, you hike up to the villages in beautiful countryside. Sleep in a communal shack - hike the next day across the mountains to another village. The final day, bamboo raft downstream followed by elephant porters to take you the final distance.

Drop me an email at admin@grooby.com before you go to Thailand, on the offchance I'm in BKK I'll show you the hotspots if you like.

seanchai

Platinum Poster Hara_Juku Tgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder

Ive read all about the phillipines as well, and how you cant drink the water anywhere and its filthy etc etc. I DO NOT want to get sick while im there or catch and disease or parasite lol...
    Actually In asean countries, NOONE drinks water anywhere BlackAdder. Not in Hong-Kong, China, India, Japan, Malaysia nor Thailand or you might get dysentery. They all carry and sell bottled spring water.

But if you go to the Philippines, Go to Cebu (check in at Shangrila Plaza hotel) that's a good place if you like the sand, water, fishing and snorkling which is about maybe 20 - 50 feet away from the hotel. Also dont miss out on Boracay (3rd best beaches in the world. Notorious for its white sand and crystal blue waters) there are alot of tourist (expats). Also Puerto Gallera, Elephant Island and who would miss breath taking Palawan. I'm sure trannies arent far behind. LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

This is all very interesting and useful info. I have several Thai friends and have been looking forward to a trip to Thailand for a long time. It *may* happen later this year if I pull it together. But I want to immerse myself in the culture for a month (Jasmin, Venus and Zeira have all told me the same thing, that I'll love it and want a month or more to visit), so I have to plan carefully. And while I'm in SE Asia I do intend to visit the PI, but again I have several Filipino friends who will help me out so I avoid the nasty bits, lol.

Add to that a stop in New Zealand and Hawaii...I'll need at least two months, minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic
    This is all very interesting and useful info. I have several Thai friends and have been looking forward to a trip to Thailand for a long time. It *may* happen later this year if I pull it together. But I want to immerse myself in the culture for a month (Jasmin, Venus and Zeira have all told me the same thing, that I'll love it and want a month or more to visit), so I have to plan carefully. And while I'm in SE Asia I do intend to visit the PI, but again I have several Filipino friends who will help me out so I avoid the nasty bits, lol.

Add to that a stop in New Zealand and Hawaii...I'll need at least two months, minimum.
    That's good Ecstatic. A foreigner really needs a bevy of beautiful locals as tour guides (especially just to trek the PI and avoid muslim rebels down south).

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

I gather that's right, Hara. You've given me some good advice regarding the PI which I've filed away for future reference. I also have a Filipina friend here in Boston, and several in Cebu, so I should be all set.

It will be a working holiday, as I plan to do a lot of photoshoots while there..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic
    I gather that's right, Hara. You've given me some good advice regarding the PI which I've filed away for future reference. I also have a Filipina friend here in Boston, and several in Cebu, so I should be all set.

It will be a working holiday, as I plan to do a lot of photoshoots while there..........

Good to hear Ecstatic. I'm sure you'll love Cebu and their Sinulog Festival (Mardi gras).

http://www.clickthecity.com/travel/?p=808

Oh and dont forget to send me some fresh buko juice. LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

Am i now allowed to speak Mistress Hara Juku?

OMG, Hara, I think I may just sell my house and move there. What a beautiful country! And Thailand, too, from what I've seen is amazing, from the mountains in the north to the beaches in the south. Why oh why am I living in Massivetwoshits with the 3rd highest cost of living in the country?!?

Buko juice. Noted.