Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SkyTwo
    Rush. Someone made a snide remark about outgrowing them in the tenth grade, but I've known more than one person who didn't ditch their Rush albums until their freshman year of college. I just want to be fair about the whole thing.

Those chumps are to music what architects are to art. They can be admired for their technical achievements and feats of engineering, and rightly so. But they're completely bereft of artistic talent. "Today's Tom Sawyer gets high on you?" That has to near the top of the cringe-inducing lyric list.

If I wanted technical brilliance, I'd grab some popcorn and watch a neurosurgeon. When I want art, I'll stick with art.
    I can understand if someone doesn't like the music of RUSH. I have no problem with that. I'm sure I would dislike the untalented primitive crap that you listen to. So we can see eye to eye in that respect.

But for someone to insinuate that they are "chumps" or remarking in some sort of way that they lack talent is purely unacceptable. Having one of Rock's most influential guitarist, the world greatest drummer and bass player and 25 platinum albums to your credit makes you great. It's plain and simple. Do I need to spell it out to you? What has Jethro Tull and King Crimson done lately? Tell me one other classic rock artist making good music today. Do I hear any new Pink Floyd? Zeppelin? ACDC? Thank God, no.

I rest my case.

Platinum Poster

What a crock of shit.

So the musicians who sell the most albums are all "great" artists?

Maybe some are...and others literally suck out loud...so does that mean that hacks like Rush and others on this list deserve to be included with artists who have actually inspired and influenced people with their music?

Fuck no.

Sometimes you gotta separate the trash from the treasure, slick...

List of artists with most gold, platinum and multi-platinum albums
    These artists, listed alphabetically, have the most gold, platinum and multi-platinum albums. It should be noted that not all record companies request certification, and those that do not are not certified.

AC/DC (19G, 19P, 11M)
    Aerosmith (25G, 18P, 12M)
    Alabama (22G, 18P, 10M)
    The Beach Boys (20G, 9P, 6M)
    The Beatles (44G, 38P, 24M)
    Garth Brooks (15G, 15P, 14M)
    Jimmy Buffett (16G, 9P, 3M)
    Johnny Cash (17G, 10P, 5M)
    Chicago (22G, 18P, 8M)
    Eric Clapton (23G, 12P, 8M)
    John Denver (20G, 13P, 7M)
    Neil Diamond (39G, 21P, 11M)
    Madonna (17G, 17P, 12M)
    The Doors (18G, 14P, 5M)
    Bob Dylan (35G, 15P, 5M)
    Grateful Dead (19G, 6P, 4M)
    Jimi Hendrix (17G, 9P, 6M)
    Isley Brothers (15G, 10P, 3M)
    Alan Jackson (15G, 13P, 8M)
    Jefferson Airplane (20G, 5P, 1M)
    Jethro Tull (15G, 3P, 1M)
    Billy Joel (18G, 17P, 12M)
    Elton John (37G, 25P, 12M)
    Kenny G (15G, 11P, 8M)
    KISS (24G, 10P, 2M)
    Led Zeppelin (18G, 17P, 13M)
    Lynyrd Skynyrd (19G, 13P, 7M)
    Barry Manilow (22G, 13P, 5M)
    Mannheim Steamroller (17G, 7P, 4M)
    Johnny Mathis (16G, 6P, 2M)
    Reba McEntire (24G, 18P, 8M)
    John Mellencamp (15G, 12P, 5M)
    Anne Murray (15G, 5P, 2M)
    Willie Nelson (22G, 16P, 7M)
    Pink Floyd (18G, 15P, 12M)
    Elvis Presley (97G, 55P, 26M)
    Prince (23G, 16P, 7M)
    Queen (18G, 11P, 6M)
    Kenny Rogers (30G, 19P, 8M)
    The Rolling Stones (42G, 27P, 11M)
    Linda Ronstadt (17G, 13P, 7M)
    Rush (23G, 14P, 3M)
    Santana (20G, 10P, 7M)
    Frank Sinatra (33G, 10P, 3M)
    Bruce Springsteen (19G, 16P, 10M)
    Rod Stewart (25G, 18P, 10M)
    George Strait (33G, 30P, 13M)
    Barbra Streisand (50G, 30P, 13M)
    James Taylor (18G, 14P, 5M)
    The Temptations (19G, 6P, 1M)
    U2 (15G, 15P, 11M)
    Luther Vandross (18G, 15P, 7M)
    Van Halen (14G, 13P, 12M)
    The Who (18G, 10P, 5M)
    Hank Williams, Jr. (22G, 8P, 1M)
    Neil Young (18G, 7P, 3M)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Junior Poster

cheifmike, you are right on both points. that list is a joke !.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by peterdavies37
    Have to say I don't like the new stuff - last decent thing they did was POWER WINDOWS... everything after that was just weak I reckon - except for the cover of SUMMER TIME BLUES they did.

I prefer the early stuff - HEMISPHERES and all that.

I've a lot of RUSH stuff, but I won't be buying the new.
    I bought "Deconstruction of a Drum Solo" by Neil Peart which was incredible - he's very methodical and his life philosphy is quite intriguing, as applied as well to his drumming. He's one of the best drummers in popular rock and I used to "deconstruct" some of his solos with my drum instructor.

Hemispheres with it's instrumental "La Villa Strangiata" is timeless. Good musicianship with fine song writing....

Junior Poster

[quote="bassman2546"]
    Having one of Rock's most influential guitarist, the world greatest drummer and bass player .
    Dave Weckl, Terry "Ted" Bozzio, and Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band can smoke Neil right out of the ice house. He has never been considered, as any time, the "Greatest Drummer". Even he, when he put together the Buddy Rich tribute, easily concedes that. I saw Buddy live when I was young. Force of nature. That having been said, Neil works very very very very very very hard with a good supply of talent but greatest? Nah. Sorry about the Rush to Judgment....

Junior Poster

vanished , there are some super percussionist out there who get no props i will throw a good one out jon fishmen fuckin great ! but with a band like rush its the package deal those 3 guys could play in there day.
    just my thoughts.

[quote="vanished"]
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman2546
    Having one of Rock's most influential guitarist, the world greatest drummer and bass player .
    Dave Weckl, Terry "Ted" Bozzio, and Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band can smoke Neil right out of the ice house. He has never been considered, as any time, the "Greatest Drummer". Even he, when he put together the Buddy Rich tribute, easily concedes that. I saw Buddy live when I was young. Force of nature. That having been said, Neil works very very very very very very hard with a good supply of talent but greatest? Nah. Sorry about the Rush to Judgment....
    Yes he has been considered the Greatest Drummer. Ask anyone who knows anything about music and they will tell you. Of course he's not going to say that he's better than other great drummers. That would make him arrogant and then YOU would be calling him an arrogant prick.

I agree. He does have a great supply of talent working with him in Alex and Geddy. But they don't make him a great drummer. Only Neil does that. That particular comment you made didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

Oh and I did chuckle when you said Carter Beauford could "smoke him out of the water" Too funny. What's next? The girl from White Stripes is better than Neil?

stillies77

Just got tickets to Dashboard 4/29 in penns landing...campus invasion tour...gotta love that...cant wait to hear all the anti dashboard replies haha...who cares...i love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman2546

Yes he has been considered the Greatest Drummer. Ask anyone who knows anything about music and they will tell you.
    "Anyone"? Like who? All the guys you smoked pot with in a predominantly white suburban high school?

Get real. There are people who have far better technique, and are far more original. I'm sorry, but these "greatest rock musician" arguments are borderline-retarded.
    Never touched a joint in my life or any other drug, so before you judge, politely fuck off.

Veteran Poster

I dunno --for some reason that "head rush" stuff just came to mind ---remember that little dark bottle --I think it had a red/yellow label ----sniff it real deep and hold it in??? ----remember that stuff???? ----

In a pyromantic way
    I'm her slave

living for her to ignite --