Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KellyShore
    I still don't know who they are lol
    Not sure what music you're into but Rush is some good old 70s classic rock. They're a 3 piece band consisting of Geddy Lee's loud ass Rickenbacker Bass and high pitched vocals, Alex Lifeson's surgically precise guitar work, and Neal Peart beating the drums like they owe him money.

Below are the videos of the new song Far Cry and my favorite piece of music by Rush, 2112. Also, I put a goofy video of Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie from The Great White North. If you have the patience to watch a long music video, watch 2112 first. Even if it is not the style of your liking, you would still have to admit that they are very talented.

Rush - Far Cry

Rush - 2112(Black & White Live 1976) Sounds Awesome

Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie - Take Off

Biography: Rush

Over the course of their decades-spanning career, the Canadian power trio Rush emerged as one of hard rock's most highly regarded bands; although typically brushed aside by critics and although rare recipients of mainstream pop radio airplay, the group nonetheless won an impressive and devoted fan following while their virtuoso performance skills solidified their standing as musicians' musicians.

Rush formed in Toronto, Ontario, in the autumn of 1968, and initially comprised guitarist Alex Lifeson (born Alexander Zivojinovich), vocalist/bassist Geddy Lee (born Gary Lee Weinrib), and drummer John Rutsey. In their primary incarnation, the trio drew a heavy influence from Cream, and honed their skills on the Toronto club circuit before issuing their debut single, a rendition of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," in 1973. A self-titled LP followed in 1974, at which time Rutsey exited; he was replaced by drummer Neil Peart, who also assumed the role of the band's primary songwriter, composing the cerebral lyrics (influenced by works of science fiction and fantasy) that gradually became a hallmark of the group's aesthetic.

With Peart firmly ensconced, Rush returned in 1975 with a pair of LPs, Fly by Night and Caress of Steel. Their next effort, 1976's 2112, proved to be their breakthrough release: a futuristic concept album based on the writings of Ayn Rand, it fused the elements of the trio's sound -- Lee's high-pitched vocals, Peart's epic-length compositions, and Lifeson's complex guitar work -- into a unified whole. Fans loved it -- 2112 was the first in a long line of gold and platinum releases -- while critics dismissed it as overblown and pretentious: either way, it established a formula from which the band rarely deviated throughout the duration of their career.

A Farewell to Kings followed in 1977 and reached the Top 40 in both the U.S. and Britain. After 1978's Hemispheres, Rush achieved even greater popularity with 1980's Permanent Waves, a record marked by Peart's dramatic shift into shorter, less sprawling compositions; the single "The Spirit of Radio" even became a major hit. With 1981's Moving Pictures, the trio scored another hit of sorts with "Tom Sawyer," which garnered heavy exposure on album-oriented radio and became perhaps their best-known song. As the 1980s continued, Rush grew into a phenomenally popular live draw as albums like 1982's Signals (which generated the smash "New World Man"), 1984's Grace Under Pressure, and 1985's Power Windows continued to sell millions of copies.

As the decade drew to a close, the trio cut back on its touring schedule while hardcore followers complained of a sameness afflicting slicker, synth-driven efforts like 1987's Hold Your Fire and 1989's Presto. At the dawn of the 1990s, however, Rush returned to the heavier sound of their early records and placed a renewed emphasis on Lifeson's guitar heroics; consequently, both 1991's Roll the Bones and 1993's Counterparts reached the Top Three on the U.S. album charts. In 1996, the band issued Test for Echo and headed out on the road the following summer. Shortly thereafter, Peart lost his daughter in an automobile accident. Tragedy struck again in 1998 when Peart's wife succumbed to cancer. Dire times in the Rush camp did not cause the band to quit. Lee took time out for a solo stint with 2000's My Favorite Headache; however, rumors of the band playing in the studio began to circulate. It would be five years until anything surfaced from the band. Fans were reassured in early 2002 by news that Rush were recording new songs in Toronto. The fruit of those sessions led to the release of Rush's 17th studio album, Vapor Trails, later that spring. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet
    Not sure what music you're into but Rush is some good old 70s classic rock.
    Not disparaging you, as I can see you're a fellow fan (love your avatar btw), but it bothers me that Rush is constantly labled as a "70's rock band".

True, they did start out in '74, but come on, they've released 25 platinum albums since then. The radio's never been a big fan of them (nor the worst music magazine ever printed..Rolling Stone), so most people don't know diddly beyond Tom Sawyer, Limelight, or Freewill.

Even some Rush fans I know can barely name a song beyond Grace Under Pressure. Really sad, because after their 80's experimentation with heavy keyboards and spare guitars (think Edge from U2), come the 90's they dove headfirst back into the power chord guitar driven sound from the early days. The albums Counterparts, Test for Echo, and Vapor Trails contain some very, VERY, good music, equally as good as anything previous.

Of course, being a hardcore Rush fan for the past 25 years, I might be a smidge biased.

Concerning the new single, it's not gripping me as hard as "One Little Victory" did when that was pre-released, but it's still very good. I'm really looking forward to picking up the new album come May 1st.

Success lies not in being the best, but in doing your best.

Good point. I always think of them as a 70s band because that was my favorite era of Rush. I'm a big fan of everything up to and including the Moving Pictures album with Signals and Grace Under Pressure being pretty good.

You are probably as much of a Rush fan as I am a Sabbath fan. I always get mad at people when they run down the Born Again album that had Ian Gillan on vocals. I love that album. I even like much of the Tony Martin stuff and the Ray Gillen demo was great. Didn't mention Ozzy or Dio because everyone likes them.

Junior Poster

You are probably as much of a Rush fan as I am a Sabbath fan.
    I may even be as much a Sabbath fan as well.

I'm usually looked at like I'm crazy, but I quite often state my belief that Sabbath was the premier hard rock / heavy metal band of the 70's, even better than the usual nominee...Led Zeppelin.

Admittedly, I don't know much of their material post Dio, but their albums with Ozzy are definitely among my all time faves. Hell, I even love Technical Ecstacy and hardly anyone knows that album.

Also, one of my favorite live albums is Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil", despite Ozzy being the only Sabbath member performing on it, I sorta consider it a Sabbath album, because, well, all the songs are Sabbath songs.

Success lies not in being the best, but in doing your best.

Junior Poster

Have to say I don't like the new stuff - last decent thing they did was POWER WINDOWS... everything after that was just weak I reckon - except for the cover of SUMMER TIME BLUES they did.

I prefer the early stuff - HEMISPHERES and all that.

I've a lot of RUSH stuff, but I won't be buying the new.

Quote Originally Posted by biguy4tvtscd
    I'm usually looked at like I'm crazy, but I quite often state my belief that Sabbath was the premier hard rock / heavy metal band of the 70's, even better than the usual nominee...Led Zeppelin.
    I've had many fights with Zeppelin fans that Sabbath is the better band. It drives them nuts. When I was in High School, me and my stoner buddies would drive all over creation on the weekends blasting my LIVE EVIL cassette tape singing along to it like the losers we were. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by biguy4tvtscd
    Also, one of my favorite live albums is Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil", despite Ozzy being the only Sabbath member performing on it, I sorta consider it a Sabbath album, because, well, all the songs are Sabbath songs.
    Man, I saw that show on MTV back in the 80's. It was after Randy Rhoads died. Night Ranger guitarist Brad "Don't Call Me Jamie" Gillis played and was pretty good. It was all old Sabbath stuff. I have the cd too and listen to it every now and again.

Hey, check this out. As I mentioned, I am a fan of the Ian Gillan Sabbath era. There is a lot of cool stuff here. You got the Trashed & Zero The Hero videos, some live stuff, and some interviews. Nobody rocks the Saddam mustache like Tony Iommi.

Quote Originally Posted by olite71
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman2546
    pfft A Girl Called Jane - He's Alive is like ten hundred times better lol

P.S. I don't know who they are lol
    If you don't know who Rush is then how can you judge, man?
    It's called I was teasing ..."MAN" lol

Aren't you supposed to grow out of liking Rush by about tenth grade?
    Yeah, maybe I should move on to the Backstreet Boys. Gimme a break, dude. These guys are classic rock artists and one of the best at it. They are in their 50s and still kick ass way more than any band today. It beats the hell out of 99% of today's crap!

Not sure what music you're into but Rush is some good old 70s classic rock. They're a 3 piece band consisting of Geddy Lee's loud ass Rickenbacker Bass and high pitched vocals, Alex Lifeson's surgically precise guitar work, and Neal Peart beating the drums like they owe him money.

Below are the videos of the new song Far Cry and my favorite piece of music by Rush, 2112. Also, I put a goofy video of Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie from The Great White North. If you have the patience to watch a long music video, watch 2112 first. Even if it is not the style of your liking, you would still have to admit that they are very talented.

Rush - Far Cry

Rush - 2112(Black & White Live 1976) Sounds Awesome

Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie - Take Off

Biography: Rush

Over the course of their decades-spanning career, the Canadian power trio Rush emerged as one of hard rock's most highly regarded bands; although typically brushed aside by critics and although rare recipients of mainstream pop radio airplay, the group nonetheless won an impressive and devoted fan following while their virtuoso performance skills solidified their standing as musicians' musicians.

Rush formed in Toronto, Ontario, in the autumn of 1968, and initially comprised guitarist Alex Lifeson (born Alexander Zivojinovich), vocalist/bassist Geddy Lee (born Gary Lee Weinrib), and drummer John Rutsey. In their primary incarnation, the trio drew a heavy influence from Cream, and honed their skills on the Toronto club circuit before issuing their debut single, a rendition of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," in 1973. A self-titled LP followed in 1974, at which time Rutsey exited; he was replaced by drummer Neil Peart, who also assumed the role of the band's primary songwriter, composing the cerebral lyrics (influenced by works of science fiction and fantasy) that gradually became a hallmark of the group's aesthetic.

With Peart firmly ensconced, Rush returned in 1975 with a pair of LPs, Fly by Night and Caress of Steel. Their next effort, 1976's 2112, proved to be their breakthrough release: a futuristic concept album based on the writings of Ayn Rand, it fused the elements of the trio's sound -- Lee's high-pitched vocals, Peart's epic-length compositions, and Lifeson's complex guitar work -- into a unified whole. Fans loved it -- 2112 was the first in a long line of gold and platinum releases -- while critics dismissed it as overblown and pretentious: either way, it established a formula from which the band rarely deviated throughout the duration of their career.

A Farewell to Kings followed in 1977 and reached the Top 40 in both the U.S. and Britain. After 1978's Hemispheres, Rush achieved even greater popularity with 1980's Permanent Waves, a record marked by Peart's dramatic shift into shorter, less sprawling compositions; the single "The Spirit of Radio" even became a major hit. With 1981's Moving Pictures, the trio scored another hit of sorts with "Tom Sawyer," which garnered heavy exposure on album-oriented radio and became perhaps their best-known song. As the 1980s continued, Rush grew into a phenomenally popular live draw as albums like 1982's Signals (which generated the smash "New World Man"), 1984's Grace Under Pressure, and 1985's Power Windows continued to sell millions of copies.

As the decade drew to a close, the trio cut back on its touring schedule while hardcore followers complained of a sameness afflicting slicker, synth-driven efforts like 1987's Hold Your Fire and 1989's Presto. At the dawn of the 1990s, however, Rush returned to the heavier sound of their early records and placed a renewed emphasis on Lifeson's guitar heroics; consequently, both 1991's Roll the Bones and 1993's Counterparts reached the Top Three on the U.S. album charts. In 1996, the band issued Test for Echo and headed out on the road the following summer. Shortly thereafter, Peart lost his daughter in an automobile accident. Tragedy struck again in 1998 when Peart's wife succumbed to cancer. Dire times in the Rush camp did not cause the band to quit. Lee took time out for a solo stint with 2000's My Favorite Headache; however, rumors of the band playing in the studio began to circulate. It would be five years until anything surfaced from the band. Fans were reassured in early 2002 by news that Rush were recording new songs in Toronto. The fruit of those sessions led to the release of Rush's 17th studio album, Vapor Trails, later that spring. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide
    Thanks for the wonderful links. I wonder why everytime I read a post from you I sound like Christopher Walken. The Far Cry link is actually not a video for the song. They are playing the song over the video intro they used for their R30 tour. It's kinda cool, though.

Veteran Poster

I can't believe you bastages talk about Sabbath ...........HERE ---and not on the Black Sabbath thread!!!

haven't heard the new Rush ---I dunno --I have Moving Pictures --and Fly By Night -----I like them both ---I'm not a fan --but they are indeed awesome ---

I love the Tony Martin era of Sabbath ----every single album ---and I even like Seventh Star a little --(minus Glenn Hughes) ---

what do you guys think of the new Sabbath song??? ---

In a pyromantic way
    I'm her slave

living for her to ignite --

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    I can't believe you bastages talk about Sabbath ...........HERE ---and not on the Black Sabbath thread!!!

haven't heard the new Rush ---I dunno --I have Moving Pictures --and Fly By Night -----I like them both ---I'm not a fan --but they are indeed awesome ---

I love the Tony Martin era of Sabbath ----every single album ---and I even like Seventh Star a little --(minus Glenn Hughes) ---

what do you guys think of the new Sabbath song??? ---
    I'm in there too.

If by new song you mean "The Devil Cried" I just heard it and it's real good. I will be buying their new album "Dio Years." I will go see the Dio included project "Heaven And Hell" but will probably pass on seeing Sabbath reuniting with Ozzy unless there is a miracle and hear that Ozzy is kicking some ass on the road. Dio might look like a cast member from The Golden Girls now but he has a Hell of a voice.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000NA7...Frd%5Fi=507846