Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default OK, this is a little embarrassing.

This just proves that I don't hang out on any forums except for TS and music.
    Lately I've been going through a bit of a depressed period. I made my living as a musician for many years. Toured the country, made records and all that. My band was on Jay Leno. We sold a million cd's, literally. That doesn't translate to a lot of money though after expenses. I've never made over 40k. This past year I've been building a home studio, taking lessons, writing, etc. Just lately though, I've been seriously thinking how nice it would be to have a less risky career. I am so tired of being poor, and never being able to afford to travel outside of the U.S. or think about helping my folks out as they get older...you know, all the usual stuff. Owning a home, feeling like I won't have to work some shitty job when I'm old. And making music for music's sake, not to cash in (not that I know how or want to.)

So...on to my point. Do any of you have any recommendations for how one discovers what they might be good at, enjoy, with decent future job prospects, etc.? I can go back to school whenever I want, but...to do what?
    I've worked for IBM and a title company, studied real estate for awhile...blech. I'm not a cubicle type. Plus, it would be nice to feel like I was making some sort of contribution to society. I can only imagine the ocean of crap Googling this would unleash. No doubt the online universities have aptitude tests disguising their marketing tools all over the net.
    Has anyone ever read a book they thought was helpful on this subject? Also, feel free to tell us about your quest for something meaningful to do that you are happy with. All I know is I need a change.

Junior Poster

Become a lawyer? I dunno, but that's certainly not an office job. What are your interests besides music?

While if I could go back in time and change things, God knows I would, I also realize that such a thing is impossible. So I just have to move on with my life and make sure that I come out the other side a better person. That’s all there is too it.

It's never too late to go back to school lol

My official Adult Blog

http://www.kellypierceblog.com

My Official Blog for my TS Sisters

http://www.secretkelly.com

My official Cam Site

http://www.kellysdreamhouse.com

Professional Poster

Try finding and taking an aptitude test. It can help narrow down where to look for your future.

Alright Then.

Rookie Poster

It might some cheesy, but look inward. Do what you love, and success will follow.

To each his own...

Default Re: OK, this is a little embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by suckseed
    This just proves that I don't hang out on any forums except for TS and music.
    Lately I've been going through a bit of a depressed period. I made my living as a musician for many years. Toured the country, made records and all that. My band was on Jay Leno. We sold a million cd's, literally. That doesn't translate to a lot of money though after expenses. I've never made over 40k. This past year I've been building a home studio, taking lessons, writing, etc. Just lately though, I've been seriously thinking how nice it would be to have a less risky career. I am so tired of being poor, and never being able to afford to travel outside of the U.S. or think about helping my folks out as they get older...you know, all the usual stuff. Owning a home, feeling like I won't have to work some shitty job when I'm old. And making music for music's sake, not to cash in (not that I know how or want to.)

So...on to my point. Do any of you have any recommendations for how one discovers what they might be good at, enjoy, with decent future job prospects, etc.? I can go back to school whenever I want, but...to do what?
    I've worked for IBM and a title company, studied real estate for awhile...blech. I'm not a cubicle type. Plus, it would be nice to feel like I was making some sort of contribution to society. I can only imagine the ocean of crap Googling this would unleash. No doubt the online universities have aptitude tests disguising their marketing tools all over the net.
    Has anyone ever read a book they thought was helpful on this subject? Also, feel free to tell us about your quest for something meaningful to do that you are happy with. All I know is I need a change.
    And what if a good man has no place in this world, because the globalist ruling elite seek to depopulate the world by circa 90% and only have themselves and their minions remain alive?

That is to say, they want you and your loved ones dead, dead, dead. Dead. As in, dead.

So if you want something meaningful in life, then I suggest you start fighting the good fight. And by fighting, I simply mean wake up and start waking others up. Stop being a fattened sheep being led to the slaughter. Only then will your life have meaning.

Boys will be girls.

Author (under a nom de plume) of "Jesus Is an Anarchist", Dec. 4, 2011, http://ssrn.com/abstract=1337761 ; Theophysics, http://theophysics.freevar.com .

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Perhaps take a look at the Occupational Outlook Handbook, to see what
    jobs are in demand and that look intersting to you.

And then as stated perhaps take an aptitude test through the State
    employment agency in your area, to see what you are most qualified
    to do.

U.S. Department of Labor
    Bureau of Labor Statistics
    Occupational Outlook Handbook

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

Veteran Poster

I can help you with your problem, but I want to know whether you are looking to do what will make you happy, or what will make you money. Because the two are different. You might get one, and not the other, or you might get both (which is rare).

5 Star Poster

Jamie: I was an animal rights activist for seven years. Anyone that would hurt an animal or a kid is the lowest in my book. I felt a bit better about myself, but did not see the situation improving. I think a lot about whether we're going to hell in a handbasket, whether civilization is ending, whether America has lost its original sense of purpose (or whether we ruined it right off the bat by allowing slavery). It's enough to make one just stay at home and read...which i do, a lot. But I think ultimately, humans will have to have a drastic reduction in numbers. Currently we're like termites to the planet. Something has to give. Thinking that success means umpteen billion of us is just insane. I certainly don't think that some elite group can or even will survive. Most likely, people who can lead a simple agrarian existence more or less in harmony with nature are our best shot, and I think that's fine. Knowing there are millions starving at the moment makes virtually any possible thing I might do to make my life better seem petty and trivial.

Peggy: Thank you! I'll check that out.

Silvester: I've always wanted to live in the UK! I have heard it's not possible. English musicians are some of my favorites, from Lennon to Talk talk to Bill Bruford!

Crayons: I don't care to be rich. Music is what i love...but it's not a pure pursuit. It can be drudgery touring and playing your songs to death. What I'd really like to do is help people, if that is possible. Part of me wonders whether it is. As for my income...it would be nice to be able to travel occasionally, and have a little house to fix up, and invite a woman to share my life, and just feel like I wasn't living month to month. How much does that take? I'd live a simple existence on an island somewhere, I swear, if it would lead to contentment and I was productive. I don't want to be a selfish bastard and live in a gated community. But I have more potential than to continue working a shit job and volunteer at the soup kitchen to make myself feel better about myself. I feel like I have a good mind, and a sincere desire to be a positive influence. There's more I could say, but this is already awfully long. Does that answer your question somewhat?

Senior Member Veteran Poster

study music therapy

music heals

:end of transmission: