Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: America dies?

i can if u want....ill make u a list with numbers i have.

u will be fucking fat bitches in no time

stillies77

wow really yeah dude make me a list!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Richter
    Nerds! Nothing is more nerdy than comic books. You have trumped my star trek computer geekiness and taken nerdom it to a whole new level.
    Not to be rude or anything, but what could be nerdier than taking a strong stance on whether Star Trek or comics are nerdier?

That said, I haven't read comics since junior high (not out of self-consciousness, but because they're really expensive for something so badly written). But I still did a double-take when I saw a national news headline that read "Captain America Dead." He was a favorite of mine back then, mainly because the character did things like what 'got him killed.' Namely, taking a stand against America when jingoism and nationalism trumped democratic ideals. Given the current political landscape, and the general improbability of a guy who dresses up like the flag being a conscientious objector, I thought it was a fitting tribute, if bittersweet.

But it's all about the marketing, isn't it? In the article I read, there was word of a Captain America movie in the works. And if it's on par with the Spider-Man movies, I'll definitely be with Cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im_with_cap_banner_183.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	85381  

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    Quote Originally Posted by TFan
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    I had heard that he went quail-hunting with dick cheney...
    Actually, no one died in that case. But I did hear he went for a drive with Ted Kennedy.
    sure that wasn't with Laura Bush?

FK
    Five bonus points to Felicia Katt for having a snappy rejoinder to that moldy Republican fallback of "Chappaquidick!"

Do you have anything for those times when someone says in a Southern accent "I did not have sex with that woman"? Man, that's annoying when you're talking national health policy!

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Ignore this post.

"Can't worry about what another nigga think, now that's liberation and baby I want it."
    -OutKast

Fehh, it's all been done before--and I don't mean Superman in 1993, I mean Cap himself in '45. Seems he "died" but really got frozen in an iceberg and was liberated by the Sub-Mariner in a rage in 1963 (Avengers #4, I used to own an original copy along with the rest of my collection which would now pay for my house and my master's degree, lol). So he's already been brought back to life once, why not again?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyTwo
    Five bonus points to Felicia Katt for having a snappy rejoinder to that moldy Republican fallback of "Chappaquidick!"

Do you have anything for those times when someone says in a Southern accent "I did not have sex with that woman"? Man, that's annoying when you're talking national health policy!
    I don't have one, but I just heard Roseann Barr do one on Real Time with Bill Maher. She said the reasons Republican were upset about Monica is because she was an adult female. Turn the page

meow

FK

To ecstatic:

Strange that I still find myself coming to the defense of Captain America after a fifteen year hiatus, but I still remember friends accusing him of being totally L-7 and a goody two-shoes (to use a couple of expressions older than I am). And like I said, it's all about the marketing-- of course he'll be back, but I admire the way they sent him out in the meantime. And I always thought that having been 'frozen' for decades was part of his appeal. "Decades removed from his own life, he carved his own path in a different world and made a difference." You couldn't ask for a more basic wish-fulfillment story than that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt

I don't have one, but I just heard Roseann Barr do one on Real Time with Bill Maher. She said the reasons Republican were upset about Monica is because she was an adult female. Turn the page

meow

FK
    Still, you're wowing me with your comedic stylings. Care to mention any influences? I'd hate to think that it's just due to inherent cattiness...

To ecstatic:

Strange that I still find myself coming to the defense of Captain America after a fifteen year hiatus, but I still remember friends accusing him of being totally L-7 and a goody two-shoes (to use a couple of expressions older than I am). And like I said, it's all about the marketing-- of course he'll be back, but I admire the way they sent him out in the meantime. And I always thought that having been 'frozen' for decades was part of his appeal. "Decades removed from his own life, he carved his own path in a different world and made a difference." You couldn't ask for a more basic wish-fulfillment story than that, right?
    True that. Part of the problem with Cap (or Nick Fury or, to a lesser degree, Reed Richards and Ben Grimm to name but a few) is that, in the early 1960s it was logical to connect them to WWII, both to reaffirm the superhero matrix (after all, with the exception of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, superheroes pretty much died out in the late 40s/early-to-mid 50s--largely thanks to the Comics Code Authority--returning with the Silver Age in the late 50s (Flash, GL, Atom, etc.) at DC and early 60s (FF, Spidey, Avengers) at Marvel) and to establish logical personal histories for the heroes. Thus, while Cap was a man out of his time, he was only removed by less than 20 years. But now it's been 45 years since his revival, and that connection is wearing a bit thin. It's all the nature of time in comics, ever the ultimate damp blanket as it were.