Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America dies?

Default America dies?

NEW YORK - Captain America has undertaken his last mission — at least for now. The venerable superhero is killed in the issue of his namesake comic that hit stands Wednesday, the Daily News reported.

On the new edition's pages, a sniper shoots down the shield-wielding hero as he leaves a courthouse, according to the newspaper.

It ends a long run for the stars-and-stripes-wearing character, created in 1941 to incarnate patriotic feeling during World War II. Over the years, an estimated 210 million copies of "Captain America" comic books, published by New York-based Marvel Entertainment Inc., have been sold in a total of 75 countries.

But resurrections are not unknown in the world of comics, and Marvel Entertainment editor in chief Joe Quesada said a Captain America comeback wasn't impossible.

Still, the character's death came as a blow to co-creator Joe Simon.

"We really need him now," said Simon, 93, who worked with artist Jack Kirby to devise Captain America as a foe for Adolf Hitler.

According to the comic, the superhero was spawned when a scrawny arts student named Steve Rogers, ineligible for the army because of his poor health but eager to serve his country, agreed to a "Super Soldier Serum" injection. The substance made him a paragon of physical perfection, armed only with his shield, his strength, his smarts and a command of martial arts.

In the comic-book universe, death is not always final. But even if Captain America turns out to have met his end in print, he may not disappear entirely: Marvel has said it is developing a Captain America movie.

I never thought this would happen. I don't know if I want to see a Captain America movie either. The first one was bad enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	captain_america_vs_hitler_210.jpg 
Views:	2278 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	84846  

Platinum Poster

yeah i just put this in the comic book thread...

Quote Originally Posted by tsntx
    yeah i just put this in the comic book thread...
    News travels fast. We were working on posting at the same time.

RIP...couple old comics i have with the Captain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled_737.jpg 
Views:	2219 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	84848  

u will be fucking fat bitches in no time

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

We will miss you Captain America.

Platinum Poster

I had heard that he went quail-hunting with dick cheney...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

OMG WTF MAN. I LOVE CAPTAIN AMERICA. Him and Ironman were 2 of my favs. Plus he just starred in the Avengers cartoons just half a year ago. But hey....comic books tend to follow a different path than the cartoons. Like wolverine no longer having adamantium and marrying storm. THey ressurected superman 1 billion times....they better bring captain back.

Reality is perception.

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    I had heard that he went quail-hunting with dick cheney...
    Actually, no one died in that case. But I did hear he went for a drive with Ted Kennedy.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by werwt22
    OMG WTF MAN. I LOVE CAPTAIN AMERICA. Him and Ironman were 2 of my favs. Plus he just starred in the Avengers cartoons just half a year ago. But hey....comic books tend to follow a different path than the cartoons. Like wolverine no longer having adamantium and marrying storm. THey ressurected superman 1 billion times....they better bring captain back.
    Boy are you out of the comic book loop. There hasn't been an Avengers cartoon since the 90's. Wolverine got his adamantium back years ago and Storm is married to Black Panther and is now the Queen of Wakanda. And Superman has only been killed once and obviously resurrected once. Now Jean Grey has been killed and resurrected at least 10 times now. Check out the comic book thread for our discussion about Cap and what's going on with him.