Platinum Poster

Default Holster Your Weapons, Mr. President!

Holster your weapons, Mr. President!

Sen. Webb wants Congress to tell Bush he can't invade Iran without authorization.

President Bush needs to holster his guns before he leads America into another unprovoked war. Virginia's freshman senator, Jim Webb, on Tuesday offered legislation that clearly tells Bush that he cannot invade Iran without congressional approval.

This should go without saying. However, Bush has clearly demonstrated a pattern of blowing holes into the Constitution to justify his distorted theories of executive power.

"This presidency has shot from the hip too many times for us to be able to trust it to act on its own," Webb said.

Since January, Webb has requested clarification from the administration about whether Bush believes Congress's authorization to use force in Iraq can be leveraged to take action against Iran.

Despite recent assurances from Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Peter Pace that the U.S. is not preparing to launch airstrikes against Iran, the U.S. has moved into position. Two aircraft carrier groups are in the Persian Gulf.

The administration has sharpened its rhetoric, accusing Iran of supplying explosives to Shia insurgents in Iraq and reserving all options in dealing with Iran's refusal to halt its uranium enrichment program.

Before Bush's fighting words escalate into actions, Webb wants Congress to tell him, "Iran is not Iraq." Congress should oblige and reinforce Webb's message that "there will be no more shooting from the hip when it comes to the gravely serious question of when we send our military people into harm's way."

Webb's resolution begins to restore the balance of power, but it does not strip from the president the needed ability to plan military operations and to protect the U.S. and its allies from attack. Bush could still use force to repel an attack launched from Iran and to respond to actual or planned attacks begun elsewhere that spill over into Iran.

What Bush could not do is launch an pre-emptive war on Iran without congressional approval.

Technically, he can't now; Webb's resolution would make sure even Bush knows this.

It's forceful language for a president who understands only force.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/wb/xp-107538

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Platinum Poster

:P
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe