Junior Poster

Default Music appreciation thread

Since there are a few of us around here that enjoy different types of music I figured it would be better to start a thread rather than let other threads get to far off topic. With that in mind....

I have a preference for live recordings over CD's and it would be great if more bands emulated Pearl Jam and Peter Gabriel who sell copies of their shows on the web. For Pearl Jam the cost of a concert is $15, pretty affordable for a 2 disc CD.

On another thread you can see what is on my IPOD but I am curious as to what everyone listens to. It seems as though there are people here with pretty varied tastes so what types of music are we listening to right now? How many New Order, Clash, Bruce fans are out there? Do we have any Motown fans out there?

Born of a broken man, but not a broken man
    Born of a broken man, never a broken man

Latrodectus mactans

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

The Who were the first to release every new live recording I think - all the profits go to charity, you can find it online.
    seanchai

Junior Poster

I like Guns N Roses.

I've been waiting 10 years for Chinese Democracy, and I'll probably be waiting 10 more.

Screw all the other bands!

Rookie Poster

Listen to Mozart... he was the ultimate. His thoughts were musical notes lol

There is no good and no bad - but thinking makes it so...

Hear ya go (get it? hear? never mind)

- 60s & early 70s rock, esp. pyschedelia (Beatles, Donovan, Who, Jefferson Airplane (not Starship), Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac, Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Stones, Neil Young)
    - folk and acoustic, esp. 60s folk-rock and contemporary singer-songerwriters (ISB, Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Greg Brown, Chris Smither, Patty Larkin, Emmylou Harris many more)
    - 50s & 60s cool jazz (Monk, Miles, Trane)
    - Indian classical
    - classical (Debussy, Mozart, Beethoven, Satie)

Veteran Poster

I have about 3,000 songs
    My ipod had 1800 darn format issues (realm secure files)
    The list is way to long to post but I grew up on Motown stuff (mom's groove) So now I'm a hip-hop/rnb/rap fan.

My Fav Rap Artist: 2Pac
    My Fav RnB Artist: Babyface/R.Kelly

I haven't gotten into the iPod craze yet...still adjusting to CDs :P Well, I have a hundred or two megabytes of mp3s on the PC, but formats change too quickly to keep up. My musical library consists of approximately 750 vinyl albums (many dating back to the 60s), 600 cassettes, and well over 1000 CDs. In the mid80s it was a big committment to jump from vinyl to CD format, and I don't want to make another format jump again, but technology keeps changing.

The music that I mostly buy for myself is E.B.M. (Electronic Body Music), i.e., electro-Industrial. Acts such as Skinny Puppy, :Wumpscut:, Front 242, Revolting Cocks, Apoptygma Berzerk, VNV Nation, Mentallo & the Fixer, Haujob, Funker Vogt, Project Pitchfork and Leæther Strip, etc.

I also like classical music, especially Beethoven and his 9th Symphony.

Boys will be girls.

Author (under a nom de plume) of "Jesus Is an Anarchist", Dec. 4, 2011, http://ssrn.com/abstract=1337761 ; Theophysics, http://theophysics.freevar.com .