Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Still Here 5 Star Poster

Default Transsexual pioneer Renee Richards regrets fame

Transsexual pioneer Renee Richards regrets fame
    Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:07 PM ET

By Belinda Goldsmith

NEW YORK (Reuters) - As Renee Richards, the world's most famous transsexual athlete, looks back on her life, she has one regret -- the fame she attained.

Richards, who was born Richard Raskind, had managed to create a new life for herself as a woman after a sex change operation in 1975 but a year later made a decision that was to have an even greater impact.

She decided to take the United States Tennis Association to court for banning her from playing in women's events at the U.S. Open as she was a transsexual -- and she won, winning headlines globally as a pioneer for transsexual rights.

Richards, now 72 and without a partner, said she does not regret the sex change operation at the age of 40 -- although she might have liked to have gone through the process a bit earlier -- but she does have misgivings about her notoriety.

"I made the fateful decision to go and fight the legal battle to be able to play as a woman and stay in the public eye and become this symbol," Richards, an ophthalmologist, told Reuters in an interview in her Manhattan offices.

"I could have gone back to my office and just carried on with my life and the notoriety would have died down. I would have been able to resume the semblance of a normal life. I could have lived a more private life but I chose not to.

"I have misgivings about that. I am nostalgic about what would have happened if I had done it the other way," said the 6-foot-2-inch tall Richards with an unmistakable air of sadness as she folds her man-sized hands in her lap.

Richards went on to play tennis professionally until 1981 then coached Martina Navratilova for two years before returning to the practice of ophthalmology.

FLEETING FAME

Fame came at a cost for Richards, who as Richard Raskind graduated from Yale, served in the Navy, become a prominent ophthalmologist and internationally known amateur tennis player. Raskind also married and fathered a son, Nick.

Her son, who is now 34 and still refers to her as "Dad" in private, attended many schools and struggled academically. He bounced between jobs before finally settling into a career as a real estate broker specializing in New York lofts.

"I am sure that had a lot to do with the chaos I went through in his childhood," said Richards, who refers to her son as "the apple of my eye."

Although Richards' mother died before her sex change operation, her father refused to acknowledge her sex change, and her sister still denies Richards' existence to friends.

Richards' former wife, who remarried and had another son, only talks to her when they need to discuss their son.

"We don't have a friendship," said Richards.

Forming relationships with men has proved difficult since she gained such notoriety, with Richards only having a couple of long-term boyfriends.

"With my first romances, they didn't know who I was but then I was found out," she said.

"You have to be a pretty strong character to have a relationship with someone who has been a man originally, and famous. I haven't had any romance in a number of years."

Richards, who spends her time between her home in upstate New York and a Manhattan apartment she shares with her son, found fame was also fleeting.

In the mid-1970s and when her memoir, "Second Serve: The Renee Richards Story," came out in 1983, was treated as an curiosity and besieged by television chat shows.

But with the release this month of her second memoir, "No Way Renee, The Second Half of My Notorious Life," few came knocking and television showed no interest.

"It is annoying to me," said Richards. "I'm so ordinary now; they're not interested. There's lots about transsexuals now."

The alternative title to her autobiography?

Tennis Without Balls

LOL
    FK

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

She has said quite a few things over the years including at one point regretting SRS, so maybe it's why some people do not take her seriously.

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

"It's not something for somebody in their 40s to do, someone who's had a life as a man, - - - If you're 18 or 20 and never had the kind of (advantages) I had, and you're oriented in that direction, sure, go ahead and make right what nature didn't. But if you're a 45-year-old man and you're an airline pilot and you have an ex-wife and three adolescent kids, you better get on Thorazine or Zoloft or Prozac or get locked up or do whatever it takes to keep you from being allowed to do something like this.''
    - Renée Richards (Associated Press, Feb. 1999)

that quote is why I don't feel badly about jokes at her expense.

FK

As old as she is now, I remember when I was a little kid sitting in my dentist's office reading a magazine article about her. Must have been in the mid 70's. As young as I was then, the whole idea of a man changing his sex to a woman really intrigued me. From that moment on I was hooked.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanahStarrNYC
    She has said quite a few things over the years including at one point regretting SRS, so maybe it's why some people do not take her seriously.
    From following her through the years, reading her book and
    various articles it does seem as if things have not worked out
    that great for her.

Was she a good candidate for SRS, perhaps her and her doctors
    can better answer that. However she doesn't come across as a
    happy individual overall, and many will cite her as a reason not
    to have SRS.

Cest la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by peggygee
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanahStarrNYC
    From following her through the years, reading her book and
    various articles it does seem as if things have not worked out
    that great for her.

Was she a good candidate for SRS, perhaps her and her doctors
    can better answer that. However she doesn't come across as a
    happy individual overall, and many will cite her as a reason not
    to have SRS.

Cest la vie.
    Those of us who are lucky enough to live to 72 with our minds and memory intact will probably have a shit load of regrets and "what ifs" to ponder. I'm only 40 and am weighed down by the things I've done in the last ten years alone, so I can't imagine what it will be like 32 years from now.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    "It's not something for somebody in their 40s to do, someone who's had a life as a man, - - - If you're 18 or 20 and never had the kind of (advantages) I had, and you're oriented in that direction, sure, go ahead and make right what nature didn't. But if you're a 45-year-old man and you're an airline pilot and you have an ex-wife and three adolescent kids, you better get on Thorazine or Zoloft or Prozac or get locked up or do whatever it takes to keep you from being allowed to do something like this.''
    - Renée Richards (Associated Press, Feb. 1999)

that quote is why I don't feel badly about jokes at her expense.

FK

But on the other hand, I'm sure we've all seen TS train wrecks that should NEVER have transitioned....

Junior Poster

Well at 72, it's a bit late to regret things.

However. If you think about how much jubilation and song is made about transitioning, when someone de-transitions or turns back showing regret then there isn't a great amount of support for them. Which in a way I find sad. So much drama is made of a person's rights to be who they are, as in transitioning. Yet they're not entirely free to dabble and test the water at will, since in almost every case the support of that person just goes, the moment they start voicing doubts. And that's not really a failure in them, but a failure in us.

Oh don't worry, I haven't joined the politically correct brigade just yet, and will switch off just like any of you will. So I still have views and am quite capable of being what is considered quite nasty and bitchy. But as I have become wiser I tend to consider the feelings of others more. For the most part I give people the benefit of the doubt, even though experience tells me not to. I will not change who am I to fit my situation.

It does concern me somewhat how people are almost encouraged to transition, to have SRS, and to have this and that done. There are transsexuals out there who are quite weak minded people really, and to start filling their heads with ideas is very dangerous. With my hands up in the air, I couldn't care less. All of my energy is diverted to me, as I need it, with little bits diverted to other people from time to time. That's not selfishness, that's self preservation.

As for me and SRS, my orchiectomy (balls off) is about as close as I'll get for the time being. I did it so that I didn't have to shove tons of pills through my liver daily. I am quite sincere in that I would have SRS, but until such time that I win the lottery and have unlimited aftercare and a surgeon on constant standby, it can wait.

I have not lost my ability to weigh up a situation and apply reasoning. There is no point mutilating my body when I am struggling for funds or support. That's just lunacy. And I see transsexuals particularly in the UK who see it all as some sort of social inclusion club. "I've had my SRS, but yes, one of my flaps does point north most of the time, and the other one has fallen off due to infection."

Having regrets is very dangerous for a transsexual, both in terms of their mental well being, and how they are perceived by others. Sorry to say it, but they should have thought of that when they were making their decisions.

5 Star Poster

At least your grandpa isn't out deriding people who made simmilar decisions in the media.

I know it's taboo to talk like this and whatever but I'm going to say it because in Ms. Richards case it is true. Just read her book she talks about it. Ms. Richards, and people like her, have wierd fantasies about simply being a woman. When they transitions and life does not measure up to those fantasies they are disappointed. Such is why people like her experience so much regret.
    She could take some responsibility for not having had realistic expectations.