Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Professional Poster

From a gaming point of view, which is what me and most of my friends do...

Vista is a complete piece of garbage...

The only way its going to fly is if people are forced into it by not supporting XP anymore or by bribing the gaming companies into only making Vista versions of games.

Our machines are already in the ~2500 range...none of us are going to re-configure our machines to run that peice of crap.

Professional Poster

Default Re: Off Off topic. Windows Vista. M$ hasn't paid me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQG
    My third beef with it is that software that is not so old has "compatibility issues". Mozilla fire fox has such issues, Most of my games have those issues. Heck none of the anti virus software I had works with this os.
    i pretty much agree with you on most points but on this one i think youre wrong (and on the price too... buy it in europe it costs twice as much)
    if im not mistaken moch of these "incompatibilities" stem from vista _finally_ trying to not force you to be logged in with root rights all the time which most programms still rely on

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    The beauty & curse of UNIX/LINUX has always been the command line.
    yes and no... the main curse of linux atm is hardware auto detection which is simply rubbish... i really cant be bothered to look up my monitors vertical frequency range to manually edit my xconf file to get the same effect i get by simply plugging it into my graphics card on windows

Quote Originally Posted by Unisex
    Customers who purchased Dual-Core or Hyperthreading based processors already knew that Windows 2000 couldn't use it either.
    rubbish 2k supports anything from 2 (on pro) up to 32 processors on datacenter

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Richter
    The higher end enables 64 bit computing, but that is just a lame buzzword that really means nothing to the average consumer.
    sooner or later sim gamers will see the benefit of physics done in 64 bit

For example, who out there really needs MORE than 4 gigabytes of memory?
    i know a guy who managed to use up some 6 gigs of rams regularly with his matrices

That said, the biggest benefit of the dual core processors is the dual processing. I believe all versions of Vista support dual processing.
    like i said earlier... been fully supported for 7 years now on a desktop useable system

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias Powerbomb
    From what I've read so far, Vista seems to have a lot of upgrades and general reworking of the audio engine, for the better. XP was great, but Vista seems to be really on the ball with audio. I'm a musician and a recording engineer and I work with PC's, so this is a good thing for me. The cosmetic things don't really matter to me. I put things back to the Win98 look anyway to save recources. Better driver handling, individual volume controls per app, putting audio apps over everything else in terms of processor use, things like this will make any audio engineer's life easier. I'm going to be checking it out more thoroughly soon to see if it lives up to what I've read. Hopefully it measures up.
    from what ive seen so far the main change in vistas audio capabilities is added delay of at least 50ms

Elvis: I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife 'cilla and bust it by jackin' off.

Professional Poster

Windows 2000 Professional [...] It supports up to two processors

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server [...] A Pentium-class CPU at 400 MHz or higher - up to 32 are supported in one machine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000

its a server os of course it supports multiple cores

Elvis: I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife 'cilla and bust it by jackin' off.