Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

@ Vicky
    Touche. though I may have quoted those numbers wrong. 34% is still allot.

@ Real girls 4 me.

I dual boot linux. Why not go liux all the way? Because I use 64 bit and 64 bit support is still spotty in terms of internet applications. Such as no 64 bit flash, or 64 bit java plugin. It does my killer app, Mathematica, beautifully.

Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key

http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/vista-...our-xp-key/74/

Junior Poster

Did you see the CNN interview of Bill Gates regarding Vista?

CNN: "Vista looks like OS X. Did you go for a more 'Mac look' this time Bill?"
    Bill: "No, no. With Vista we really innovated. You can edit pictures and movies...and send files over the Internet" WHAT THE FUCK?

The point here is to STOP giving Micosoft money. Dont be a bunch of Lemmings. Bill Gates himself barely held a straight face denying the blatent copy of OS X. Its CRIMINAL.

The BIGGEST software company in the world cant even design thier OS without stealing 70% of it? I am really dissapointed and saddened by the lack of talent and vision in Redmond.

You have MUCH better offerings out there now guys. Its 2007 for god's sakes.

Go buy OS X
    Go buy Linux

OS X costs 100 bucks.
    Vista costs between 128 and 400 bucks.
    Linux can be FREE.

Kinda surprised no one mentioned the Vista EULA lol.

"Can't worry about what another nigga think, now that's liberation and baby I want it."
    -OutKast

Rookie Poster

From what I've read so far, Vista seems to have a lot of upgrades and general reworking of the audio engine, for the better. XP was great, but Vista seems to be really on the ball with audio. I'm a musician and a recording engineer and I work with PC's, so this is a good thing for me. The cosmetic things don't really matter to me. I put things back to the Win98 look anyway to save recources. Better driver handling, individual volume controls per app, putting audio apps over everything else in terms of processor use, things like this will make any audio engineer's life easier. I'm going to be checking it out more thoroughly soon to see if it lives up to what I've read. Hopefully it measures up.

~Matthias

Two separate friends I know have given Vista a try, and both have had huge problems with the upgrade. Frankly, given Microsoft's poor track record with product releases, this doesn't come as a surprise.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

5 Star Poster

I feel like I've got the best of both worlds right now. For the past six years I've used my Mac G4 with Cubase. But then I got a deal on a Dell server (400SC) that all these musicians were raving about for it's reliabilty and silent operation. It runs Nuendo, Tracktion and Live. But they warned me not to risk putting it onto a network. So i sold the G4 and bought a slightly used mac mini off craigslist for $400. This thing kicks ass, and I've eaten sandwiches bigger than this computer. So now i'm cross-platform and have two great computers for $800. Staying off the leading edge avoids the expense of buying new, and the frustration of buggy apps.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Two separate friends I know have given Vista a try, and both have had huge problems with the upgrade. Frankly, given Microsoft's poor track record with product releases, this doesn't come as a surprise.

-Quinn
    it still looks and works like the beta version. nothing special, design is the only small fascination but it canīt top XP for now. I donīt know, hope they release some updates, otherwise, it ends up in my garbage can....

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQG
    @ Vicky

I dual boot linux. Why not go liux all the way? Because I use 64 bit and 64 bit support is still spotty in terms of internet applications. Such as no 64 bit flash, or 64 bit java plugin. It does my killer app, Mathematica, beautifully.
    I also utilize a number of platforms with XP, Linux and 2003 Server
    on one of my laptops. Then in my personal network I also have a
    Mac box, and a broken Unix box, as well as a coupla server and XP
    boxes.

My plan for world domination procedes unabated

Quote Originally Posted by suckseed
    I feel like I've got the best of both worlds right now. For the past six years I've used my Mac G4 with Cubase. But then I got a deal on a Dell server (400SC) that all these musicians were raving about for it's reliabilty and silent operation. It runs Nuendo, Tracktion and Live. But they warned me not to risk putting it onto a network. So i sold the G4 and bought a slightly used mac mini off craigslist for $400. This thing kicks ass, and I've eaten sandwiches bigger than this computer. So now i'm cross-platform and have two great computers for $800. Staying off the leading edge avoids the expense of buying new, and the frustration of buggy apps.
    So you run LIVE huh?
    Im just learning it now.
    Im kinda worried that its Midi capabilities WONT be as robust as what I am use to.
    For instance....quantizing......Im coming from Digital Performer and the quantize templates for LIVE seem kinda weak.
    Im in the middle of deciding whether to upgrade to LIVE 6 or Digital Performer 5.

Any advice?