Junior Poster

Default Messin' With Doughnuts

Just read this story:

Now we know how Homer Simpson will one day die. It figures it would be somehow donut-related.
    Because apparently getting a sugar rush from eating a donut just isn't enough anymore and there just aren't enough energy drinks on the market, I give you this Associated Press story:

"DURHAM. N.C. (AP) - That cup of coffee just not getting it done anymore? How about a Buzz Donut or a Buzzed Bagel? That's what Doctor Robert Bohannon, a Durham, North Carolina, molecular scientist, has come up with. Bohannon says he's developed a way to add caffeine to baked goods, without the bitter taste of caffeine. Each piece of pastry is the equivalent of about two cups of coffee.

While the product is not on the market yet, Bohannon has approached some heavyweight companies, including Krispy Kreme, Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks about carrying it."

Not just the equivalent of one cup of coffee - TWO CUPS OF COFFEE!

The way I see it:

Eat 1 Buzz Donut and you'll be wide awake for the rest of the day.
    Eat 2 Buzz Donuts and you'll be bouncing off the walls.
    Eat 3 Buzz Donuts and you'll turn into The Great Cornholio from Beavis & Butthead.
    Eat 4 or more Buzz Donuts - Well, you saw 28 DAYS LATER, didn't ya?

Can't people just leave things well enough alone?

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Bourdain went to Voodoo Donuts in Portland this week. One doughnut had crispy bacon on it (yum) and another they dipped in Fruit Loops.
    If the fat don't get you - the sugar will.
    seanchai

5 Star Poster

Yeah, Voodoo's doughnuts are a trip. The guys in my band took me there one night. They're in this glass cylindrical case spinning around. The bacon doughnuts had maple frosting too! I passed on those tho....

Platinum Poster

That's the kinda hippie doughnut place, isn't it? I think I saw a clip about the place...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

5 Star Poster

Yeah, that's the one. Portland hippies are way easier to take than Boulder hippies, who are to a man shiftless, Rusted Root-listenin', bongo-bangin', smoke-all-your-pot, self satisfied, Babylon-dissin' weenies in sandals.
    Portland's more about tats, glasses, coffee, cigarettes, thrift store clothes and going about your own business. It's so much less annoyingly trendy that I'm sorry i waited as long as I had to to move here.

Platinum Poster

Although for edgy desserts, I'd say that the nicotine-infused ones really push the envelope.

I don't smoke (or ingest) tobacco products. Nevertheless, if I were dining at The French Laundry restaurant I'd certainly try that dessert, or anything else that Chef Thomas Keller came up with.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Junior Poster

Why can't some just leave a humble doughnut alone? It was bad enough when they took all the sugar and caffeine out of Coke, so there's no point in woofing down a Coke at four in the morning, cause you just can't put the game controller down.

Bacon doughnuts, blasphemous!