Default Man jailed for stabbing transsexual

December 13, 2006 01:23pm
    Article from: AAP

A VICTORIAN man who stabbed a woman after learning during foreplay that she was a transsexual was jailed today for at least 4-½ years.

Clinton Dwayne McRae, 28, of Pakenham, discovered the woman he met at a city nightspot was a transsexual after they started becoming intimate in her home on January 26 this year.

McRae became infuriated and repeatedly stabbed her with a shard from a broken vase, the court was told.

Today at the Victorian County Court McRae, who previously pleaded guilty to intentionally causing serious injury, was sentenced to seven years' jail with a minimum term of 4-½ years.

Judge Frances Millane described the attack as a "grave and violent offence".

The court was told the woman spent four days in hospital, with wounds to her chest, shoulder and torso.

Judge Millane said she accepted McRae was misled about the sex of his victim, but this did not reduce his culpability.

Junior Poster

This is horrible and reminds me of how a friend of mine and her sister died.

I used to hang out with (purely a friendship) a beautiful, charming, intelligent, but troubled transgendered woman named Gabrielle Pickett. The reason she was troubled was that her twin sister, also a transsexual woman, Chanel Pickett, had been murdered in Boston. The killer was a man she met at a bar, went home with, and became intimate with. He claimed at his trial that at some point he became enraged when he found out she was a transsexual, that she attacked him, and that he killed her in self defense.

It turned out, however, that he frequented transsexual bars, had had numerous encounters, and that he and Chanel had done drugs together that night.

Gabrielle was always depressed by the loss of her sister. I lost touch with her. Shortly after I started posting on this forum, I asked if anyone knew what every happened to Gabrielle.

A poster, I think it was Megabody, responded that Gabrielle had died of a drug overdose in part because she never overcame her grief at the loss of her twin sister.

Two people died as a result of that one attack, in other words.

Because of the nature of the murder of Chanel Pickett, I tend not to believe anyone who tries to use the "transsexual panic" defense to explain away crimes against transsexual women.

I remembered reading about Channel Pickett on a site about murdered transexuals called "Remembering our dead".

http://gender.org/remember/people/chanellepickett.html

It ashamed about her and her sister. But the good news is that because of the higher profile of transgender people today, I think society is taking violence against them more serious today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Veteran Poster

I had a friend who went back to living as a male after an attack. She meet the guy in a gay bar and had all kinds of reasons to think that he knew what he was getting into.

They even had sex but she was the kind of girl that just didn't show her genitals and didn't like them to be toyed with. The next mornng he went crazy and beat her real bad for an extended time, like a tourture almost. It went on and on.

She was this close to dying and many years afyerwards she still has real issues from the attack.

He claimed he didn't know but it seemed more like a remorse thing or something.

Professional Poster

I think most of these guys know exactly what they are getting and purposely use these poor girls for their punching bags to deal with their deep insecurities and mixed up sexual oriention. THen the use the "i didn't know" excuse to get off the hook...

Remembering "Gwen" RIP

Junior Poster

yodajazz, I saw that site some time ago also. I knew Gabrielle about 10 years ago and lost touch with her and came across that site about 5 years ago and it was strange to see that pic of her sister. BTW, they were identical twins, and that picture, which is presumably what Gabrielle also looked like at one time, does not do her justice. Gabrielle looked a lot like Natalie Cole and had the most amazing, piercing, but sad light brown eyes. Even though I usually ran into her in clubs, which are kinda dark, her eyes literally sparkled and glowed. She was a very intelligent person also. It's a real tragedy that her sadness allowed drugs to take her down, but in the mid 90s the TS scene was saturated with drugs.

It is true that the case changed the way law enforcement treated trans-bashing. If I'm not mistaken, the jury returned a lighter conviction than the prosecutor asked for but the judge gave the severest sentence he could impose, given the crime he was convicted of. So, in a way, Chanel was a martyr who died to change things for the better for transwomen.

Rangehova, that is a horrible story and it seems obvious that the guy knew he was with a transwoman and that the beating was some kind of sick exorcism of his own guilt about being bi.

Lastly, thanx again Mega for the info back then and for the info now. How well did you know Gabrielle? Does my description fit her as the person you knew when you knew her?