Gold Poster

Default Depeche Mode ... Why are they ???

...General chit-chat goes here. Any Topic that wouldn't fit in the other forums...post it here.

Click the link for some hauntingly melancholic disjointed, yet beautiful music:

I was perusing YouTube tonight (Well, every night of late[Hee-hee]) and got a dose of Johnny Cash, Sly and the Family Stone, etc. I came across one of my favorite bands, Depeche Mode, and was struck by how many posters engage in homophobic remarks about its band members, and/or sound. Someone want to enlighten me about where this homophobic stance comes toward to the band, or just about any English band that doesn't mirror the look of Guns and Roses? Are electronic keyboard sounds somehow less manly? I just want to know where these remarks are rooted from, but most of all, WHY DOES IT MATTER ?!?!?

Silver Poster

I am a huge Depeche Mode, too, mate. I donīt know where it comes from but it seems we have to "blame" the eighties (although Iīd rather be in the eighties now). You know, the early DM stuff was really non-serious. They seemed to be a kind of a boygroup by looking like theyīre partying in gay-bars all day and night. Thatīs why Anton Corbijn didnīt want to make videos for them but finally made a couple of great clips for them since Never Let Me Down Again (1986).

They were making some ridiculous songs and videos before they raised to cult figures thanks to Corbijn and their music that was more turned to the adult population. Another reason could be tha fact that all the synthie-pop/electro-pop stuff was some kind of a mainstream-culture during the eighties and there were subcultures like Punk or Heavy/Thrash Metal.

5 Star Poster

yea, they were so disfunctional, that Johnny Cash reached out and touched face. They became his own personal Jesus

5 Star Poster

my bad, actually he reached out and touched faith...insert your bass guitar licks here

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by johnb
    my bad, actually he reached out and touched faith...insert your bass guitar licks here
    hmm... bas guitar licks?

howabout ANYTHING victor WOOTEN

5 Star Poster

yea, they were so disfunctional, that Johnny Cash reached out and touched face. They became his own personal Jesus
    Reach out and touched face? Does that mean he bitchslapped them? I can kinda imagine Cash doing that. They probably deserved it anyway.

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

I'm a fan of Depeche Mode as well. They do some really great stuff.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.