Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

1.) Religion is not "child abuse". The closed minded society in the secnario in the original post was doing the abusing. Otherwise the answer is that for a family or minority group to try and preserve it's identity they must abuse their kids by not conforming to the majority. That and religion does more harm than good because fear of hell keeps more people in line than the laws of man.

2.) Circumcision == supersition.

3.)The US can project more raw millitary force onto any other country than any other country or group of countries (ie the EU). But we cannot anihillate the Taliban who actually control most of Afganistan and our arch enemy is a mere terrorist organizeation. Hmm...basically we are the sole surviving superpower because no one else has the navy and airforces to challenge us, or threaten our homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by LG
    I'm surprised you don't know them, TFan.
    Oh I know them. I'm more curious about what you think is reality. The premise of the Republican party has remained the same. Free citizens, good education, free industry. The republican party is the party of Lincoln. We still hold these same values.

If you did, you would know that initially the Republicans were the party that embraced more liberal values and that over time the so called "GOP" has strayed from its priorities- it's values now are more conservative and its actions are far less progressive.
    You're right. The party is less progressive than it was 150 years ago.

Because everything has limits.

The Republican party still maintains the same values it did 150 years ago. Free people, free industry and education. What you call progressive is actually a perversion of the word. Truly free men do not need affirmative action, EEOC, hate-crime bullshit or welfare. They do not need reparations. Your use of the word "Progressive" is a farce. Free men need only the US constitution in it's current form. Not the subjugation of the "new progressive".

Equal protection under the law.

This has been happening for a century but really took of after the war when the Democrats were seen as the more progressive party. In the 1970s and 1980s the Republicans emerged as a truly conservative party.

During the 1940s and 1950s the Republicans hounded alleged communists and put them on trial. Some went to jail, but all they had done was write or make a movie. A decade later the Democrats helped to bring down segregation.

And without meaning to offend southerners, the south, the last bastion of both slavery and segregation slowly turned from Democrat to Republican.

And I haven't mentioned Richard Nixon yet. The less said the better.

A hundred or so years ago Republicans were the ones with the progressive ideas and the urge to fight oppression. Now I think that Abraham Lincoln (who was not the party's founder but one of its earliest and certain its greatest member) would be embarassed to be a part of it.

You can read all this and more on:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...publican_Party
    Progressiveness, like everything, has it's limits.

"Free people" is progress
    Free enterprise is progress
    A strong military is progress
    Strong laws are progress

Abortion is not progress
    Nanny-state-ing is not progress
    Wealth transfer schemes are not progress
    Affirmative Action is not progress

This is where liberalism is a lie. It's not progress at all.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Why isn't abortion progress?
    seanchai

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

One might think it’s also child abuse to indoctrinate a class of children into the conundrums of long division and the labyrinthine mysteries of grammar. But one can understand that parents and society have an interest in teaching children what they need to know to survive and be happy in world. I only bring this up because it contrasts so well with religious and political indoctrination. In the US we teach whole classes of six year olds to pledge their allegiances to the United States of America, children who don’t even know what an “allegiance” is! Does that strike anyone as sick? Children deemed too young to stay home alone, watch unfiltered TV or eat sweets between meals are ushered down the church aisle and required to commit their eternal souls to the god of their parents. These kids think an eternity is the time from one Christmas to another! One would think that a parent who would allow and encourage their child to make that kind of commitment would have no trouble at all allowing their child to commit to marriage, or a lifelong shoulder tattoo, or sex reassignment surgery. Does anybody here, including Tfan, really think that very young children generally are morally and intellectually prepared to make lifetime (or even eternal) commitments?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    Does anybody here, including Tfan, really think that very young children generally are morally and intellectually prepared to make lifetime (or even eternal) commitments?
    Thanks for asking so nicely.

And the answer is yes. The human soul is prepared and sanctified for such at conception.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."- Jeremiah 1:5

And I'd like to ask.

When are the children "ready"?

Quote Originally Posted by J
    following in tfans lovely hypocritical direction it would only make sense then that:

opposing gay rights is progress
    I don't oppose gay rights and neither does the party.

You speak nonsense.

resisting the civil rights movement is progress
    The civil rights movement is done, it's over. Abraham Lincoln (R) started it and it's now over.

You speak nonsense.

fighitng to keep minimum wages down is progress
    And dictating wages is progress? LMAO No wonder you guys are in love with Ahmadinejad.

not bringing the US up to par with most developed countries in alternative energy sources is progress
    That's not the governments job. It is the individuals job and it will happen if there is a demand. It WON'T happen because of government decree.

You really are in love with dictatorships, aren't you? What else should the government force people to do?

the patriot act is progress
    Damn straight.

well we can go on, but i think all fair minded people...
    Yeah they will. They see a naive poster on hungangels pretty much making it clear that he's in love with dictatorship. That-

The government should determine wages.

The government should determine ecological policy even down to an individuals home.

That the government should require require racial quotas

Sounds, convincingly, like dictatorship to me.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That's all I need!

see whats under his hood...lemme see if i can dig up some gool ole southern strom thurmond speeches to show some more ideas of republican progress...
    I believe it was Robert Byrd(D) under the white hood and not Strom Thurmond.

You know? This guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd

Yeah, he's still alive. He's still a racist and he's still double talking.
    And he "is poised to return to his position as President pro tempore of the Senate in January 2007"

Yeah that's your guy. I'm gonna break this one out for you-

"with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."- Robert Byrd(D).... KING OF THE DEMOCRATS!

Rookie Poster

In 2nd grade I got a chunk of hair pulled out of my head in Catholic School because I made my G like a 6, and I cried that shit hurt. If that would happen today would it be considered Child Abuse and would the teacher get in trouble ?

Oh by the way after 2nd grade no more Catholic school. Plus I was always scared to go to Church on Sunday, for I thought one of the Nuns or Priest would be the shit out of me. Great System .

JOGA BONITA PELE O MELHOR

Quote Originally Posted by rico del rio
    In 2nd grade I got a chunk of hair pulled out of my head in Catholic School because I made my G like a 6, and I cried that shit hurt. If that would happen today would it be considered Child Abuse and would the teacher get in trouble ?

Oh by the way after 2nd grade no more Catholic school. Plus I was always scared to go to Church on Sunday, for I thought one of the Nuns or Priest would be the shit out of me. Great System .
    Should have gone to the cops and had those fuckers arrested, or your parents should have. They should have protected you.

Rookie Poster

Parents ? My old man would be the fuck out of me most nights because he was nuts. So until I turned 14 I realized how come my friends pops don't throw them beatens. My mom was clueless and thought I was probably being a bad boy.After all Nuns were Angels sent from God.

Wow what a fuckin childhood that just brought back bad memories. And to think I have never been hospitalized for insanity

JOGA BONITA PELE O MELHOR