View Poll Results: Are you at risk for AIDS?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, but I don't want to think about it.

2 14.29%
  • Yeah.

5 35.71%
  • No, I only masturbate.

6 42.86%
  • AIDS?

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Default Today is World AIDS day. w/poll

Wear a condom.

Respect yourself. And everyone else.

Peace all.

Be safe.

Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)

When the CD4 lymphocyte count drops below 200/microliter, then the stage of clinical AIDS has been reached. This is the point at which the characteristic opportunistic infections and neoplasms of AIDS appear. Listed below are some of the more common complications seen with AIDS with images that illustrate gross and microscopic pathologic findings.

The organ involvement of infections with AIDS represents the typical appearance of opportunistic infections in the immunocompromised host--that of an overwhelming infection--that makes treatment more difficult. The strategies employed in AIDS patients to meet this challenge consist of (1) preserving immune function as long as possible with antiretroviral therapies, (2) using prophylactic pharmacologic therapies to prevent infections (such as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia), and (3) diagnosing and treating acute infections as soon as possible.

Pneumocystis carinii

Pneumocystis carinii is the most frequent opportunistic infection seen with AIDS. It produces a pulmonary infection, called Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP), but rarely disseminates outside of lung. The most common clinical findings in patients with PCP are acute onset of fever, non-productive cough, and dyspnea. Chest radiograph may show perihilar infiltrates. Diagnosis is made histologically by finding the organisms in cytologic (bronchoalveolar lavage) or biopsy (transbronchial biopsy) material from lung, typically via bronchoscopy. The cysts of P carinii stain brown to black with the Gomori methenamine silver stain. With Giemsa or Dif-Quik stain on cytologic smears, the dot-like intracystic bodies are seen.

Cytomegalovirus

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is the most frequent disseminated opportunistic infection seen with AIDS. It causes the most serious disease as a pneumonia in the lung, but it can also cause serious disease in the brain and gastrointestinal tract. It is also a common cause for retinitis and blindness in persons with AIDS. CMV is identified by the presence of very large cytomegalic cells with enlarged nuclei that contain a violaceous intranuclear inclusion surrounded by a clear halo. Sometimes, basophilic stippling is present in the cytoplasm.

Mycobacteria

Mycobacterial infections are frequently seen with AIDS. Mycobacterium tuberculosis has been increasing in frequency since the start of the AIDS epidemic. The appearance of M tuberculosis with AIDS is similar to that of non-AIDS patients, with granulomatous pulmonary disease, though the infection may be more extensive or may be disseminated to other organs. Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) infection is more unique to AIDS and is characterized by involvement mostly of the organs of the mononuclear phagocyte system (lymph node, spleen, liver, marrow). MAC infections are less likely to produce visible granulomas, and the lesions often consist of clusters of macrophages filled with numerous mycobacteria. Definitive diagnosis of mycobacterial disease is made by culture.

Fungal Infections

There are many types of fungi that can complicate the course of AIDS. One of the most frequent (though uncommonly life-threatening) is Candida. Oral candidiasis is often seen with HIV infection and may presage the progression to AIDS. Candida can occasionally produce invasive infections in esophagus, upper respiratory tract, and lung.

Infections with the pathogenic fungi Cryptococcus neoformans, Histoplasma capsulatum, and Coccidioides immitis are more serious infections that are often widely disseminated. C neoformans often produces pneumonia and meningitis.

Toxoplasmosis

Toxoplasma gondii is a protozoan parasite that most often leads to infection of the brain with AIDS. The lesions are usually multiple and have the appearance of abscesses. Less commonly, T gondii infection is disseminated to other organs.

Gastrointestinal Protozoal Infections

Cryptosporidium, Microsporidium, and Isospora are all capable of producing a voluminous watery diarrhea in patients with AIDS. Diagnosis can be made by examination of stool specimens and/or intestinal biopsy.

Malignant Neoplasms

Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) produces reddish purple patches, plaques, or nodules over the skin and can be diagnosed with skin biopsy. Visceral organ involvement eventually occurs in 3/4 of patients with KS.

Malignant lymphomas seen with AIDS are typically of a high grade and extranodal, often in the brain. They are very aggressive and respond poorly to therapy.

5 Star Poster

Geeat ad campaign.

Exactly like this everytime you have sex with someone you don't know or think you know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aides_spider_0_165.jpg 
Views:	1278 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	70955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aides_scorpion_0_190.jpg 
Views:	1279 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	70956  

5 Star Poster

Just wanted to add, to anyone with HIV/AIDS, you have my love and support.

Professional Poster

I dont have hiv or aids... but sure Im in the risk zone.. as everyone whith many and new sexparters are.. and specialy when Im gay.
    So far have 40 000 000 people died in aids. Its more than 4 times as many who lived in Sweden.

Junior Poster

Hope everybody did something to help out the HIV/AIDS community today.

The above poll is a little misleading I think because we are ALL at risk for HIV depending on our behavior.

CA

"Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers....."

The above poll is a little misleading I think because we are ALL at risk for HIV depending on our behavior.
    Do you have sex?

You're at risk.

'Nuf said.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Professional Poster

Hmmm Im not so found of the pic whith the scorpion

Professional Poster

Yep i hope I do... i have kids in Africa.. not biologiq
    But im a sort of fadder to some kids there.
    I have some special kids i send money to and I help them whit education and more if I want to.
    My oldest is 22 and he doing his education to a engneer in technical physic..after him comes a girl who who want to bee a police officeer...lets see about this
    then I have younger 6 and 9 y old..lets see about them..
    Anyway a small gift from you can give this childs enormous possibilltys.
    And if you only spend a little part of your wages.. its enogth four give them a good personal care.... and whit this wee have come a long way

Rookie Poster

Today is a special day of Awareness it needs to be put back in the school system and educate the young, for some many young people ignore the risk. Straight ,gay, worldwide, the poor communities are suffering the most as African Americans have been the hardest hit in the states the figures are overwhelming.....

Let's be real, so many in our generation, Latinos in their 20's and 30's, don't eveb know their HIV status because they haven't gotten tested. When were you last tested for the HIV virus, the virus that is believed to cause AIDS? I was tested last summer. And yes, testing can be scary, but not knowing and possibly infecting other people should be even scarier

The Latino community needs to get over its homophobia that surrounds AIDS because AIDS is not a disease just for "patos". Men need to get over their machismo and practice safe sex. Mujeres need to step up to the homophobia and machismo and speak to our fellow sisters.

Latinas, often the victims of sexism and machismo, now account for 25% of all Latino infections, as compared to only 2% in 1981

Professional Poster

Good reply rico del rio