Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Default [Offtopic] New Worm and/or Virus

Just looking for some quick help. I think my comp has that new Worm or Virus thats out and my bandwith dropped from 300kps to 16-30kps at most but more like dialup on average. I updated windows with security updates and I updated all my Antispyware malware and AV and ran scans on all of them multiple times but I'm still getting an extremly slow DL rate and my comp has gotten pretty slow. Feels like I'm still on dialup and lost some of my ram. Any suggestions? I'm all out.[/b]

Reality is perception.

Are you running any torrents/peer-to-peer files? I've found those (Especially multiple up/downloads) to seriously clog the works at times. I've also noticed a distinct slowing after recently upgrading the BitTorrent application and have noticed that it will now only stop/pause single files instead of entire runs (Which would usually get the speed to snap back up). Still playing with it though.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Veteran Poster

No I'm not running BT but I did update it recently. Ok and somethinbg really weird just happened. I was clearing some space from my Hardrive and I deleted 2 700MB Windows Media files. When I went to the recycle Bin to empty it asked me if i wanted to delete "WINDOWS" and said my access was denied. WTF? How can I have the main account and my access be denied to empty my recycle bin? Plus when I open it there are no files in it even though I just sent them to the recycle bin and the icon has the paper in the trash can. Weird right? Anybody know whats going on?

Reality is perception.

Quote Originally Posted by werwt22
    No I'm not running BT but I did update it recently. Ok and somethinbg really weird just happened. I was clearing some space from my Hardrive and I deleted 2 700MB Windows Media files. When I went to the recycle Bin to empty it asked me if i wanted to delete "WINDOWS" and said my access was denied. WTF? How can I have the main account and my access be denied to empty my recycle bin? Plus when I open it there are no files in it even though I just sent them to the recycle bin and the icon has the paper in the trash can. Weird right? Anybody know whats going on?
    Sorry man, maybe you should give info on where you've been, what anti virus, and anti spyware you have. may give someone a clue. There are alot of technical people here. I'm not one of them.

Silver Poster

you better delete your hard disk and re-install windows. save what you can save and start the reincarnation. most of the viruses can be found in SYSTEM and SYSTEM32 but the problem is that they´ve got names of the important system-files so you don´t what you´re supposed to delete and what not. I´m sure you got troubles with GDI.exe and/or img300001.exe (guess that´s it).

dude, your PC has AIDS

Veteran Poster

DAMNIT....I cant salvage anything. I have 230gigs worth of stuff on here. And half the time if you salvage anything b/c it may contain viruses and just gets reinstalled with the files you put back on your comp when you reformat your hardrive. Wow this sucks.

Reality is perception.

Racist Asshole ... I'm Banned! Professional Poster

DAMNIT....I cant salvage anything. I have 230gigs worth of stuff on here. And half the time if you salvage anything b/c it may contain viruses and just gets reinstalled with the files you put back on your comp when you reformat your hardrive. Wow this sucks.
    Try downloading Windows Defender and give that a run.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Falling off the bar stool Junior Poster latrix67's Avatar

The's a brilliant microsoft online tool I used the other day.It took about 3 hours to run but it found things my other cleaners missed;

www.safety.live.com
    Regards,
    L67

Plus when I open it there are no files in it even though I just sent them to the recycle bin and the icon has the paper in the trash can.
    I've been finding this too, some show, some don't. Nearest I can tell is that it's a glitch related to the new BitTorrent (But not likely a virus). I haven't had any system errors/delete verifications, so that could be another issue.

I also recently installed the Nero DVD/CD programs, with the addition of a DVD burner, so that might be causing some of my issues.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

Default Re: [Offtopic] New Worm and/or Virus

Just looking for some quick help. I think my comp has that new Worm or Virus thats out and my bandwith dropped from 300kps to 16-30kps at most but more like dialup on average. I updated windows with security updates and I updated all my Antispyware malware and AV and ran scans on all of them multiple times but I'm still getting an extremly slow DL rate and my comp has gotten pretty slow. Feels like I'm still on dialup and lost some of my ram. Any suggestions? I'm all out.[/b]
    If you would like me to call you we can fix this.

DON'T do anything drastic. This is what I do for a living.

DO NOT reformat your hard drive.....jesus folks....take a class or two.