Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting....

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    None of that actually establishes that the policy has been looser under Biden than in the past. I think you linked to the wrong page in that thread as I can't see anything relevant.

The numbers coming to the border may be just a product of circumstances in the source countries. Since it signed up the the UN refugee convention the US has had an obligation to assess people's refugee status if they turn up and make a claim. This is not new. Facilities to keep people in detention while they are being assessed also have limited capacity.

The one specific thing that changed seems to be the expiry of Title 42, which was supposed to be a temporary measure to deal with COVID.
    https://www.vox.com/politics/2371994...er-biden-trump
    Here is the post that I was referring to.

I don't know what the policy should be, but it shouldn't have been this:

Biden angrily opposed lifting Trump immigration bans but caved to left’s demands: book

http://nypost.com/2023/09/05/biden-o...lefts-demands/

I think the main problem is this and its brought up in the article:

[Biden] said that voters would never appreciate the difference between refugees fleeing tyranny and economic migrants from Central American. Since he was already getting pulverized on immigration, boosting the cap would just make things worse,” the book says.

Going back to the Obama administration because he had to deal with this situation too, I think word spread that if a person crosses the border illegally and asks for asylum, it will help them jump to the front of the line of the immigration process. But there is a difference between an immigrant, a migrant, and a refugee. But now it seems those differences no longer apply, along with the reasons for asylum, and we are treating everyone as if they're a refugee. When that simply isn't the case. Because let’s be honest, not all those migrants that have been coming since the beginning of the Biden administration are going to qualify for permanent residence and are going to have be sent back. Since they are spread all over the country, that’s going to be another problem.

As for the addressing the labor shortage, since the crisis began, many people have been calling for this to happen:

http://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/29/bu...-migrants.html

"The C.E.O.s also said that immigration control was “clearly” a federal issue, siding with Hochul in calling for federal funding for educational, housing, security and health care services for migrants.

They also supported Hochul’s and Adams’s requests for faster processing of asylum applications and work permits, since newly arrived migrants must otherwise wait 180 days before they can work legally."

But still no word from the federal government if this will happen.

While I believe in freedom of movement within a country and between them, there should be some restriction of movement when it comes to country’s borders. By no means am I saying, “Build the Wall”. Just fix the patches that already exist.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I'm not saying the situation doesn't need to be improved, but the problem seems to caused by arrival numbers exceeding the capacity of the system rather than anyone deciding to have an open borders policy. I agree there needs to be an increase in resources, both to process applications more quickly and to meet demands for services. I guess the problem is how to get something through the Republican HoR.

It's not clear what you are saying on the refugee cap - are you criticising Biden for lifting Trump's cap or for resisting doing so?

No use linking to NYT articles, btw. They used to let non-subscribers read a small number of articles but nowadays I can't read any.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I ask, because I do not know, what city or state in the US can be said to be run efficiently, to have a low crime rate, affordable housing, schools parents believe are good for their children, health services that meet the people’s needs, and politicians the people respect? Do any of them have a humane policy toward immigrants with measures in place to accommodate them and integrate them into the workforce?

Or is this a daft question because all politics in the US is failing?

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    While I believe in freedom of movement within a country and between them, there should be some restriction of movement when it comes to country’s borders. By no means am I saying, “Build the Wall”. Just fix the patches that already exist.
    It looks like there is a possible deal to address the border problem, but Trump and his allies want to torpedo it to help his election chances.
    https://www.vox.com/politics/2024/1/...connell-romney

Biden should have done more earlier to fix the problem when he had a majority in both houses, but if there's no improvement in the next few months you have to blame Trump.