Thread: Shocking Hockey

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Shocking Hockey

I know nothing about Ice Hockey, but the incident in the UK has been frightening and grim. It seems odd that for all the protection the players wear, the most dangerous part of their game may be the skates they use. I know it is a freak incident, but have there been accidents involving blades before? I have never seen a skate so I don't know how sharp they are, but I don't recall incidents in other ice related sports.

Adam Johnson: Tributes to ice hockey player after 'freak accident' - BBC News

Gold Poster

Default Re: Shocking Hockey

I have been cut by a skate after falling and the skater behind me running over me but it was not serious but I believe it’s the combination of steel edge and momentum which make them dangerous. Unfortunately the guy was not wearing a neck guard in this case.

Thanks for this, but was not wearing a neck guard optional? The players seem to have most areas covered.

Gold Poster

It is optional but “…on Monday, in the aftermath of Johnson's death, the English Ice Hockey Association (EIHA) said it would be mandatory to wear a neck guard during "all on-ice activities" from 2024 onwards.” (BBC)

They are mandatory in Ontario but that’s again a reactive measure after another fatality.

Apparently it might be seen as weak by some players

Quote Originally Posted by rodinuk View Post
    It is optional but “…on Monday, in the aftermath of Johnson's death, the English Ice Hockey Association (EIHA) said it would be mandatory to wear a neck guard during "all on-ice activities" from 2024 onwards.” (BBC)
    They are mandatory in Ontario but that’s again a reactive measure after another fatality.
    Apparently it might be seen as weak by some players
    Thanks for your insight on this. One of the few things I sense about Ice Hockey is a form of 'charmed aggression', which is to say the claim is people want to see players being shoulder-barged through the screens, because it is a man's game. Or something like that. But the time then comes, when personal safety must take precedence. I understand the desire for contact sports to separate the men from the boys, but separating the head from the neck? Nah. Because sport should also be fun, be entertaining.

I hope the sport learns from this terrible incident.