Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discrimination

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: Discrimination

This thread is about discrimination, and the idea that it can come from faith in an almighty authority, that you can somehow always place all responsibility on, by calling anything a part of an inscrutable, divine plan. I do not just not believe in that but I am of the opinion that this is deeply destructive to human beings all over the world. Monotheism has tried, and sadly succeded, with destroying many other cultures and faiths. This is not a hypothesis but a fact. Governments in diffeerent parts of the world are looking back now, with shame, at how their past colonizing behaviour has almost destroyed other countries, like Greenland and Canada, and they finally apologize for these horrors. The attempts to christianize in so many parts of the world are so well-known, only someone without any knowledge of history will deny that. I do not "debate" lies trying to invent stories about that this has never happened, in the same way I do not "debate" whether clouds are made of candy floss. And if someone claims that monotheism will never be gone from the world, I can only respond by saying that it is a fairly new invention in the history of humans. An invention, however, that has made extreme changes in all parts of many lives. For some it is so deeply embedded in their language itself, they only consider monotheism or atheism as possible religious outlooks on life. Thankfully monotheism is losing ground as more and more people become skeptic of the whole omnipotent, but not interfering in the most horrible of crimes, "god". If such a being existed it would be evil, plain and simple.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

― Epicurus

There is no "God". Which is a relief, a blessing to the world.

P. S. This thread is not about "me", and I have no interest in responding to any claims about "me". I will ignore them because they are irrelevant, and they do not, as someone try to invent, "hit my ego". I simply do not care.

Senior Member Junior Poster

If someone claims, as monotheists do, that there is an almighty god, then it is their responsibility to prove it. It should not be that difficult if that was the case. I have waited all my life for a reasonable response to that responsibility but instead what happens is, people who believe in such a deity try to attack me, because they cannot, and have not, in any way proven anything, because such a deity cannot, does not and will never, exist. The same response is in this thread which is why I downvoted, blocked and ignored them.

So for me this case is closed. Take care and do not forget that you are allowed to question everything and everyone in your life. This is something many people in power positions really, really do not like, which makes it so much more important.

Be free.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Mirgofino View Post

So for me this case is closed. Take care and do not forget that you are allowed to question everything and everyone in your life. This is something many people in power positions really, really do not like, which makes it so much more important.

Be free.
    So in fact, this thread was never intended by the OP to be about Discrimination, but Monotheism. Perhaps that accounts for the confusion, the disagreement, the blockages.

Gold Poster

He must have had a bad experience with someone who was religious and be unable to comprehend at some level.

The thread was merged from two, one called Discrimination and one called Monotheism, because the second was already the main content of the first.

I don’t have the luxury of blocking as I’m a moderator but I do occasionally use the up/down thumbs.

Last edited by rodinuk; 10-18-2023 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodinuk View Post
    He must have had a bad experience with someone who was religious and be unable to comprehend at some level.

The thread was merged from two, one called Discrimination and one called Monotheism, because the second was already the main content of the first.

I don’t have the luxury of blocking as I’m a moderator but I do occasionally use the up/down thumbs.
    Ah yes I remember them now. But the two threads were also substantially the same i believe. As for the colonization of Canada and Greenland, I will let someone braver than me to take that on!

Gold Poster

I think the OP is misguided in seeming to indicate that because believers believe that that somehow abdicates them from personal responsibility. I would say it’s quite the opposite. His statements are bordering on hate against religious believers yet he has not one iota of consideration for the good that can and has been done by following a religious belief. He prefers a world of isolating individuals, promoting suffering and proscribing religion.

Quote Originally Posted by rodinuk View Post
    I think the OP is misguided in seeming to indicate that because believers believe that that somehow abdicates them from personal responsibility. I would say it’s quite the opposite. His statements are bordering on hate against religious believers yet he has not one iota of consideration for the good that can and has been done by following a religious belief. He prefers a world of isolating individuals, promoting suffering and proscribing religion.
    You make a fair point. There is a God Fearing thread somewhere in the past where a lot of these issues were debated. I think to keep it short, that we don't know what Moses, Jesus or Muhammad would think of the acts of violence that have been done in their name. I like to think they would be appalled. But yes, Jews, Christians and Muslims have also demonstrated their belief in the values they believe in, helping others in distress, promoting peace rather than war, perhaps most important, the value of sharing the resources we have for the common good. Perhaps if those following these faiths adhered more closely to the original intentions, we would not see so much suffering today, as there are always alternatives to hatred and violence.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Black male here....
    What was the original question before all the derailment?

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Black male here....
    What was the original question before all the derailment?
    Try the OP, and take it from there, if you can, if you want to.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    If I didn't talk to anyone who ever condescended me I'd have far fewer people to talk to. Sometimes people insult me or say something I don't like but I hear them say other useful things later on.

FYI we can all see who's downvoting posts. If you do it occasionally because you strongly disagree I understand. It's the habitual downvoting of anything critical of you that makes you look a bit thin-skinned. But yeah I can set boundaries, but it's rare that I need to. Maybe for harassment, threats, bigotry. Really anti-social stuff.
    Problem is, when a spirited debate devolves into personal insults that are off-topic.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...