Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discrimination

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Discrimination

I am wondering why discrimination is so widespread in so many places in the world, and I have come to the conclusion that one of the main reasons is that some people believe in some almighty authority ("God") who they pretend to just follow. This leads to the stagnant and rigid position of status quo in all kinds of places where the dysfunctional, discriminating and patriarchal ways are not only allowed, but encouraged by people who are too afraid to question authority. An authority which by the way can't stand any questioning, as it is empty. It is nothing. So please question this discriminating nothing more.

Fight homophobia, racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination everywhere because it is WRONG and, incredibly, stupid. A low point for human beings wherever it happens.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Default Re: Discrimination

Oh look you found an easy one-stop scapegoat.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Mirgofino View Post
    I am wondering why discrimination is so widespread in so many places in the world, and I have come to the conclusion that one of the main reasons is that some people believe in some almighty authority ("God") who they pretend to just follow. This leads to the stagnant and rigid position of status quo in all kinds of places where the dysfunctional, discriminating and patriarchal ways are not only allowed, but encouraged by people who are too afraid to question authority. An authority which by the way can't stand any questioning, as it is empty. It is nothing. So please question this discriminating nothing more.

Fight homophobia, racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination everywhere because it is WRONG and, incredibly, stupid. A low point for human beings wherever it happens.
    You probably need to investigate studies in Anthropology which address the stratification of human societies, the forms they take, the reasons why. You could investigate the spatial and temporal separation of male and female in what we might call primitive society, where a fundamental fear of blood means that blood shed through menstruation has led to women being separated from men, and where it is associated with blood shed in anger that creates anxiety, loss of blood being linked to pain and death. Smell is another factor, whether it is the odour of menstrual blood, the brown stuff that comes out of your bum, to sweat, halitosis, or by contrast the pleasing allure of a perfumed skin.

Hobbes argued that if we leave humans to act on their emotions, the result will be a 'state of nature' where life is nasty, brutish and short -as I write, human emotions are causing the death by violence of people from Ukraine in the North, to Israel and Palestine in the South. He argued that the alternative, a State of Government, would solve the problems of emotional chaos by using Reason father than Faith as the basis of an ordered society. But it does appear he believed society would always be stratified, but did not use the concept of Class that Marx later used, as a descriptive, and then prescriptive mechanism for the liberation of inequality and discrimination that allows societies to be unjust, unfair, and ultimately inefficient.

Or you could look at the conflicts, sometimes the co-operation between nomadic herders and sedentary farmers and ask, why do nomads consider themselves superior to farmers? Did Cain kill Abel because he did not have an animal to sacrifice in order to express rage? Do people who eat cooked food lead better lives than those who eat raw food, indeed, is it not because we eat cooked food that we discriminate between the human and the animal worlds?

Hope that helps as a primer.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    You probably need to investigate studies in Anthropology which address the stratification of human societies, the forms they take, the reasons why. You could investigate the spatial and temporal separation of male and female in what we might call primitive society, where a fundamental fear of blood means that blood shed through menstruation has led to women being separated from men, and where it is associated with blood shed in anger that creates anxiety, loss of blood being linked to pain and death. Smell is another factor, whether it is the odour of menstrual blood, the brown stuff that comes out of your bum, to sweat, halitosis, or by contrast the pleasing allure of a perfumed skin.

Hobbes argued that if we leave humans to act on their emotions, the result will be a 'state of nature' where life is nasty, brutish and short -as I write, human emotions are causing the death by violence of people from Ukraine in the North, to Israel and Palestine in the South. He argued that the alternative, a State of Government, would solve the problems of emotional chaos by using Reason father than Faith as the basis of an ordered society. But it does appear he believed society would always be stratified, but did not use the concept of Class that Marx later used, as a descriptive, and then prescriptive mechanism for the liberation of inequality and discrimination that allows societies to be unjust, unfair, and ultimately inefficient.

Or you could look at the conflicts, sometimes the co-operation between nomadic herders and sedentary farmers and ask, why do nomads consider themselves superior to farmers? Did Cain kill Abel because he did not have an animal to sacrifice in order to express rage? Do people who eat cooked food lead better lives than those who eat raw food, indeed, is it not because we eat cooked food that we discriminate between the human and the animal worlds?

Hope that helps as a primer.
    You don't know me so it seems weird to come up with "a primer" that should supposedly "help me". But I guess it felt good to talk to yourself like that for a while. Goodbye.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

I am wondering why discrimination is so widespread in so many places in the world, and I have come to the conclusion that one of the main reasons is that some people believe in some almighty authority ("God") who they pretend to just follow….
    that’s over 80% of the world’s population and they’re not pretending that’s just your discriminating opinion

You don't know me so it seems weird to come up with "a primer" that should supposedly "help me". But I guess it felt good to talk to yourself like that for a while. Goodbye.
    Hardly my fault if your original post suggested you are not well read. And for what it's worth, a lot of people read these posts but don't comment, so you don't know if I am talking to myself, or the whole wide world. Have a Nice Day.

Gold Poster

Let’s keep it on-topic

My outburst, and short analysis, comes from being told by others, who reveal or do not reveal that they are Christians, or similar monotheists, that I shall not think about various topics in life, because there is, according to them, an almighty authority, who takes care of that. And that anti-intellectual, and manipulating, approach toward me is one I am fed up with. I do not believe in that god at all. In fact I find it impossible that such a god exists. I do think that much discrimination comes from such a belief, because when you transfer your responsibility to "someone who is always right but inscrutable" you can always claim that this is the case. The real problem with manipulating with others in this way is that it is a power position, you can both claim and claim to not be responsible for, because you just "follow god", which I why I used the word pretend. I think the world would be a much better place without monotheism, with the removal of the idea of an almighty authority. Plain and simple. And I do not, of course, think anyone speaks for an authority, that I do not believe in, in any way. So if arguments against my position on this comes from that illusion I will not respond to them from now on. Because I find such a "conversation" to be a non-conversation, a waste of time.

Default The world without monotheism

If the world was without monotheism then it would be impossible for anyone to claim that some almighty god is on their side. This means that the world without monotheism would be a much more peaceful place because no one would ever be able to point at such an invisible, but paradoxically, so called, omnipotent, deity, in which name they act, go to war for etc.

The world without monotheism would no doubt be a better place for all humans and other beings as well.

Default Re: The world without monotheism

India is a large country whose Governing party is attempting to make the Hindu religion the defining identity of the country, and thereby discriminating against Christians, Muslims, Sikhs and other religious, as well as secular, non-religious people and communities. So monotheism does not have a monopoly of discrimination and violence -just as one could document the violence of Buddhists in history from Japan to Sri Lanka.

Discriminatory Policies Trigger Religious Violence in India | Human Rights Watch (hrw.org)

Religious violence reaches India’s capital as a Hindu mob swarms a church (nbcnews.com)