Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Donald Trump Indicted on 7 Counts

I don't know the actual figure, but I estimate Trump has hired more than 100 lawyers since the election of 2020. Did not one of those professionals ever tell him he does not have the legal right to retain a single classified document? The legal skills of John Eastman and Cleta Mitchell may be limited, but the law is so stark on the case of documents, I can't believe even a mediocre lawyer doesn't know the law.

As for the files on nuclear and military strategy, some with a focus on Iran, who would be interested in them? A) Israel, and B) Saudi Arabia. Kushner and his wife with their impeccable connections to both countries, might not be regulars at Mar-a-Lago, but one wonders if Trump retained these files to 'monetize' them- but has he made a dollar out of them? We might never know.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

The MAGA Party Spin Machine is in full effect with the Spineless Coward Kevin McCarthy,Chickenshit Mike Pence and others coming to their leader the MAGA King Donald Trump's defense,by making false accusations that President Joe Biden,Attorney General Merrick Garland and the Democrats indicted Donald Trump,when in reality it was special prosecutor Jack Smith and a Grand Jury that indicted Donald Trump. No one should be surprised that the enablers in Congress and Senate are choosing the MAGA King over the country,because this is the path they chose. And will eventually lead to their downfall.

filghy2 Silver Poster

As is often the case with Trump, the striking thing about this is how flagrantly stupid he has been. It looks like he has been caught out in a clumsy attempt to hide classified documents simply because he wanted to keep them to show off to people.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1735...menal-self-own

Of course, it could be that he doesn't care about being indicted because he thinks it will help him win the nomination, but I think to most people it just underscores how reckless and incompetent he is.

And then there are the Americans who claim they would go to war with their own country for Donald Trump. The Congressman who posted 'cryptic' police/military messages suggesting his supporters get ready for war. That he would never go to war for them is it seems, of no importance. For most of his life Trump has considered himself infallible, so by definition, any and all criticism of him must be false. Were he on camera shoplifting, he would insist the images are not of him.

He cannot win the Presidential election, it is only through a rigged Electoral College that he could return to the White House, assuming he has not been sent to prison, though the slow pace of justice in the US suggests he will not.

One night in Miami? Robert Reich isn't absolutely sure, he says

"Violence is possible, but there will no civil war."
    There will be no civil war over Trump. Here’s why | Robert Reich | The Guardian

Not much consolation for anyone who does get hurt, and for what?

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    One night in Miami? Robert Reich isn't absolutely sure, he says

"Violence is possible, but there will no civil war."
    There will be no civil war over Trump. Here’s why | Robert Reich | The Guardian

Not much consolation for anyone who does get hurt, and for what?
    No it sure isn't,because the imbeciles who support the MAGA King Donald Trump have been brainwashed by him and his enablers,that him getting indicted by special prosecutor Jack Smith was politically motivated and a witchhunt,which is bullshit. Donald Trump brought all of this on himself,and has no one to blame but himself.

Junior Poster

I’m much more interested in seeing Trump accountable for attempted election tampering in Georgia, and for the range of violations resulting in the January 6th assault on the US Capitol building.

But there seems to be a pretty solid case here, which I’m not complaining about

filghy2 Silver Poster

How is that Trump has again drawn the judge he appointed, who previously made dubious rulings in his favour?
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...-case-00101641

It's notable that none of the people loudly screaming "witchhunt" seem to even bothering to mount a defence of his actions. Trump's explanations have been shifting, but he seems to be arguing that he had the right to declassify these documents and treat them as his personal property. Are these people seriously saying they are okay with sensitive national security documents being handled like that? Yes, I know the real answer is they just don't give a shit.

In addition, one marvels or not, at the hypocrisy of people like Little Jimmy Jordan and Lindsay Graham instantly referring to Hillary Clinton when being asked about Trump's documents crimes -Clinton was never President, a fact so obvious it merely dismisses the comparison. That said, I don't know if the Presidential Records Act, or some other law governs the retention of documents for Govt officers, such as the Secretary of State. With regard to emails, again I don't know if every email must be retained, which would be a waste of storage space as most of the emails Clinton had were circulars. Moreover, whatever it is that she is accused of that is a charge legally not proven, the problem with Trump is that unless he can prove the documents in Florida were de-classified, he has to explain what he was doing with them.

If the Judge and Jury are sympathetic I guess they can put it down to him being old and careless -but where does this leave his lawyers? And if he is found guilty, a) he will get the most lenient sentence, and b) begin the process of appeal to drag the case into the next year, or two years.

Here is another comparison: in the UK, Boris Johnson's arrogance is losing him support among Conservative MPs, whereas in the US Trump's arrogance seems to encourage it among members of Congress.

Is the US now so sectarian it cannot be repaired?

filghy2 Silver Poster

Meanwhile, in another democracy, a former leader was arrested without anyone claiming witchhunt or theatening trouble.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1735...former-leaders