I watch this occasionally, and believe some of the acts ought to be introduced with their 'back catalogue' rather than some weepy backstory. I am not sure if the show is fixed, but an example from this weekend will suffice.

A 12-year old boy soprano got a Golden Buzzer from Simon Cowell. Who is he? Malachi Bayou, and not unknown if you read the news. He was engaged to sing a small part in Handle's opera Alcina at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, during which a member of the audience heckled him, shouting 'rubbish'. The person has since been identified and banned for life from the House.

Even before this, Malachi appeared with Aled Jones in a video you can find on YouTube.

In BGT, Malachi gave a wonderful rendition of the Pie Jesu from Gabriel Fauré's Requiem, and if you search on YouTube you won't find many better, so I hope when his voice breaks he retains enough to develop a career, with proper training. I was also a Boy Soprano soloist in my church choir, but when my voice broke, well, it broke. I still sing, and for the benefit of all, in private.

But these acts on BGT (I don't know the American version) -many are not amateurs walking in off the street -ain't it so?

A 12 year-old boy got booed last night at Covent Garden - SlippediscSlippedisc | The inside track on classical music and related cultures, by Norman Lebrecht