Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Re: So real men don't drink Bud Light?

Obergefell was decided by a 5-4 vote. The 4 votes against it were by Conservative Justices. 4 votes were by Justices appointed by Democrats who are widely considered left-leaning. I think holding onto Kennedy as the representative of the thoughtful conservative when 4 Conservative Justices were vehemently opposed to Obergefell's ruling is a good analogy for what you're doing here.

You may try to put an intellectual gloss on a boycott movement that was started by people with broadly transphobic views, but you're a long way from convincing anyone that the average person supporting the boycott respects transgender people, would refer to them by their chosen pronouns, and would not have objected to other transgender product endorsers.

I'd be willing to discuss my use of the word Nazi in the other forum but I think it distracts from the main topic here. What I see from many of the boycotters is a panic about sexual orientation and gender identity as well as broad attempts to accuse the lgbt movement of indoctrination and grooming. It is an offshoot of the kind of right-wing ugliness that probably motivated Desantis' don't say gay bill, which is not dissimilar from the anti-gay laws that have appeared in Russia.

Anyhow, we'll see how the leading lights of the Conservative movement (not Kid Rock apparently) will respond to other transgender women in the public sphere. Or are they all automatically guilty of female impersonation on account of the fact that they transitioned?

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Some dumbass controversy over light beer

Bud Light slapped a photo of a TikTok star on cans and the dumbasses got mad

But it's not that a TikTok star (who's audience is mostly children) is promoting alcohol but it's a transgender woman promoting beer they like. My point is this, I personally don't care one way or another if you don't like the person Bud Light comes in bottles. I personally don't drink alcohol but if I did I wouldn't care because I would buy alcohol to have drunk sex because I'm not an attractive person and alcohol does help with that.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Default Re: Some dumbass controversy over light beer

Oh, and Joe Rogan got attacked by his fans for defending Bud Light

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Obergefell was decided by a 5-4 vote. The 4 votes against it were by Conservative Justices. 4 votes were by Justices appointed by Democrats who are widely considered left-leaning. I think holding onto Kennedy as the representative of the thoughtful conservative when 4 Conservative Justices were vehemently opposed to Obergefell's ruling is a good analogy for what you're doing here.
    Three-quarters of Republicans in Congress also voted against the same-sex marriage act last year. If most of the party's supporters are okay with it there must be a strange disconnect going on.

Even if most Republicans are not trans- or homophobic they seem very willing to turn a blind eye and/or excuse those who are. That's why Trump and De Santis think they can appeal to transphobia without it hurting them in the primaries. Would mildcigar or dirkmcgee refuse to vote for a Republican candidate who ran on transphobic themes?

filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: Some dumbass controversy over light beer

Quote Originally Posted by Dudedude12345 View Post
    Oh, and Joe Rogan got attacked by his fans for defending Bud Light
    Howard Stern also defended Dylan. These guys are no "woke" warriors, but they know a manufactured outrage campaign when they see it.

1 out of 3 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Interestingly, if you look at the Anheuser-Busch stock price over a longer period the effect of this furore is hardly noticeable. There was a moderate fall after the story broke, but there have been much bigger falls previously. The price has halved since 2016, so I guess the company has bigger problems.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=anheus...ch+stock+price

The irony of this media-manufactured controversy is that Bud Lite has simultaneously marketed itself to diametrically opposite niche segments for decades. For instance, it sponsors SF Pride and practically every neighborhood gay bar in SF has a “Bud Lite” sign, complete with a neon rainbow; at the same time Bud Lite also sponsors and advertises at stereotypical macho and events like NASCAR, football, etc.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Slight diversion from the thread -do Americans drink Cider, or Shandy?

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca81 View Post
    The irony of this media-manufactured controversy is that Bud Lite has simultaneously marketed itself to diametrically opposite niche segments for decades. For instance, it sponsors SF Pride and practically every neighborhood gay bar in SF has a “Bud Lite” sign, complete with a neon rainbow; at the same time Bud Lite also sponsors and advertises at stereotypical macho and events like NASCAR, football, etc.
    You mean these sneaky bastards have been pushing their woke agenda down mildcigar's throat for decades and nobody told him?

Junior Poster

I never heard of Dylan until I read the post here saying she was being “pushed down my throat” (interesting phrase in this context). I think she appeals to a younger crowd than mine. Bud Light is smart to cast a wide net with their advertising. Reversing their position post-uproar won’t change anyone’s minds at this point, and makes them look weak and insincere. A year from now, this will be almost totally forgotten, like previous outrages (gay Teletubbies, Mrs. Potato Head, Dr Seuss “censoring” his own books, etc)

1 out of 1 members liked this post.