Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Default Re: Trump Just Committed These 'New Crimes' in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Can a man so famous get a fair trial? I think he is the most famous person to be indicted on a criminal offence since OJ Simpson, and after all, most Americans I think knew who Simpson was.
    Does fame exempt one from justice?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Platinum Poster

This from the Governor of the 'Free State of Florida'-

"He accused prosecutor Alvin Bragg of being backed by left-wing billionaire George Soros."
    Donald Trump's rival Ron DeSantis vows to block former president's extradition (yahoo.com)

a) is it not the case that Attorneys General in the US are elected, and run, for the most part, as either Democrats or Republicans?

b) are there no Republican AG's funded by, say, the Koch Bros or some other 'Right wing' foundation?

c) is it true that George Soros is a citizen of the USA?

Maybe someone should have a quiet word with some of these outraged Republicans complaining about the rule of law being a political weapon, and just ask -did Trump break the law? For that is the key to this process.

"He accused prosecutor Alvin Bragg of being backed by left-wing billionaire George Soros."
    Donald Trump's rival Ron DeSantis vows to block former president's extradition (yahoo.com)

a) is it not the case that Attorneys General in the US are elected, and run, for the most part, as either Democrats or Republicans?

b) are there no Republican AG's funded by, say, the Koch Bros or some other 'Right wing' foundation?

Maybe someone should have a quiet word with some of these outraged Republicans complaining about the rule of law being a political weapon, and just ask -did Trump break the law? For that is the key to this process.
    Everything the Republicans accuse the Democrats of doing is projection for what the Republicans are doing and plan to do.

The Soros stuff is an antisemitic dog whistle to blow along with the racist dog whistling about Alvin Bragg (calling him an animal).

Of course Republican AGs are funded by such groups. Hypocrisy is the life blood of politics.

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Hypocrisy is the life blood of politics.
    Though you are right with regard to so much in US politics, I wonder why it is that there seems to be no attempt to reform your electoral process, to remove the political biases that exist. An independent electoral commission, for example, could draw the boundaries of Congressional Districts, just as the Boundary Commission does in the UK, taking into consideration any changes that have taken place to a constituency in terms of its social and economic geography. Thus, too, law officers ought not be appointed on the basis of their politics but their legal experience and abilities.

I understand that the system was created when people of different parties were committed to the same Constitutional values that are supposed to bind Americans into one Union, but once sectarian divisions become so bitter that 'standard practice' is set aside for the kind of things we have seen over the years, in effect there is no Union.

Have said it before -can Americans step back from the brink and realize there are alternative ways of refurbishing the ideals of the Revolution through reasonable means? Otherwise it is a form of civil war, and nobody benefits from that.

Though you are right with regard to so much in US politics, I wonder why it is that there seems to be no attempt to reform your electoral process, to remove the political biases that exist. An independent electoral commission, for example, could draw the boundaries of Congressional Districts, just as the Boundary Commission does in the UK, taking into consideration any changes that have taken place to a constituency in terms of its social and economic geography. Thus, too, law officers ought not be appointed on the basis of their politics but their legal experience and abilities.

I understand that the system was created when people of different parties were committed to the same Constitutional values that are supposed to bind Americans into one Union, but once sectarian divisions become so bitter that 'standard practice' is set aside for the kind of things we have seen over the years, in effect there is no Union.

Have said it before -can Americans step back from the brink and realize there are alternative ways of refurbishing the ideals of the Revolution through reasonable means? Otherwise it is a form of civil war, and nobody benefits from that.
    There have been many attempts to reform. The Republicans have killed the most recent ones in Congress.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...can-filibuster

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...gerrymandering

The Constitution is set up so it can be modified without revolution. The extremes ignore that, and they get all the airtime, apparently overseas as well. Plenty Americans (myself included) belong to no political party, have no interest in joining one, and do not desire a civil war.

Can a man so famous get a fair trial? I think he is the most famous person to be indicted on a criminal offence since OJ Simpson, and after all, most Americans I think knew who Simpson was.
    Robert Blake (Barretta tv show series) got indicated and found innocent but just before his death bed he admitted the crime saying she deserved it.
    Don't do the Crime if you can't do the Time
    And keep your eye on the Sparrow

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

More hypocrisy and projection from the MAGA Party,who claimed to be the party of law and order and were completely silent during Trump's Presidency when their leader Donald Trump was weaponizing the Department Of Justice to after his political enemies,and enabled his behavior. And now are all of a sudden outrage because their leader is in legal trouble with the law. Ron-Mussolini-DeSantis is playing with fire if he's going to interfere and block Donald Trump's extradition to the City Of New York.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Here's a video of reactions of Donald Trump's Indictment from his enablers. And all of their reactions reeks of hypocrisy and projection.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

I could see his lawyers filing a motion for a change of venue to either Long Island or Staten Island, both areas are filled with Trump voters/supporters.

Having said that, I think he could get a fair trial in New York. There were people in NYC who voted for him in 2016 and if I could find the article that I posted on here, I think that number increased in 2020. That's surprising when you consider New Yorkers have been putting up with his bullshit since the 1980s'. So I'm sure his legal team could fill a jury with some people who might acquit him.

There is also the credibility factor of the main witness, who surely will be Michael Cohen. All it takes is one person to question his motives to cause a hung jury.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    There is also the credibility factor of the main witness, who surely will be Michael Cohen. All it takes is one person to question his motives to cause a hung jury.
    The guy who was Trump's long-time fixer (how many legitimate people need fixers?!) and went to prison for him?