Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Nashville School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous123 View Post
    Finally, Republicans are at fault for many issues we have in this country. A lot of their decisions have also caused this country issues and problems. Yet the Democrats in the past 3 years have had more control than the Republican party. Have made more decisions and changes in this country. Have led this country in a certain direction and look at the state of it now. I'm not for either party and don't support either
    I am not an American so I observe from afar. I think the problem with your post, is that a) it does not distinguish policy-making in the Senate from the House, and b) it does not account for the differences in policy in States run by Democrats or Republicans.

Further, it seems to me that the Republican Party claims to be 'Conservative' but is a party of Change, ie not Conservation, and that it does not share the values of the Revolution of 1776. The extent to which the Party opposed the freedom of the people to choose their President did not climax on January 6th, but in the outrageous denial that followed that what happened that day was an Insurrection against the United States of America, as defined by the Constitution.

It is a pity the Democrat Party has been so tame in the last few decades, but has had to confront a divided Congress where bi-partisan compromise is now seen as either surrender or betrayal. Until you Americans address the vicious sectarian nature of your politics and the corruption of Secular Values by States you will not be able to heal yourselves, you will be in a situation today, where regardless of the slaughter of children in Uvalde, Texas, or Nashville, Tennessee, Republicans will make it easier than it was before to purchase battlefield weapons and kiddy-shredder ammo, whose sole purpose is to murder Americans.

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I understand your correction, but not why, having said 'didn't not don't' you did not update the data yourself, as you could have done. I suspect it was because you wanted to imply a lack of popular judgment on segregation and same-sex marriage. I have endorsed previous posts of yours, so I am reluctant to be 'hyper'-critical, but I do feel you could have done better here.
    My statement had nothing to do with you. You jumped on my statement about how the majority didn't support integration or gay marriage. There was a lack of popular judgment when the Court decreed that those things should happen. I was replying to filghy2's comment that our country is "designed to thwart the will of the majority." Doing that isn't always a bad thing. Our system is full of checks and balances to thwart mob rule.

I explained what my statement meant. What data was there for me to update?

I lived through integration. I went to elementary school through high school in the first city in the country to have forced busing. (My class was the first to graduate with 12 years of it.) It actually worked very well there.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Gold Poster

James Holmes, the Colorado shooter, was seeing a psychiatrist and had a psychotic disorder. Jared Loughner, who shot Gabby Giffords, had schizophrenia and it was obvious to everyone at the community college he went to. An emotional disorder can mean a lot of different things including depression. It is very hard to block someone from owning a gun when you have to have an adjudication that they are mentally defective. This is far from the first case where the person in question could have been found to have major mental health problems and while Hale should not have owned a gun, perhaps such guns should not be sold at all and other guns should be harder to get for everyone, especially those with major psychiatric problems.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    The majority didn't support racial integration or gay marriage rights.
    Sorry, what point are you making in relation to this issue? I'm pretty sure the majority of Americans do support tighter gun controls along the lines you've already mentioned. Your examples don't disprove my point about legislative change being very difficult, even when most voters are in favour.

Last edited by filghy2; 03-31-2023 at 04:15 AM.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous123 View Post
    How they cheer people destroying cities, looting and causing police harm. DA in cities are so soft on crime and don't really prosecute them for the crime that they did.
    How is that relevant to the issue of mentally disturbed people being able to get hold of guns? These mass killers almost invariably get killed by police. How exactly is tougher sentencing or whatever going to make a deter people who don't care whether they die, if they are thinking rationally at all?

Are you actually saying nothing should be done to stop these people buying mass-killing weapons because it's all the fault of Democrats?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    My statement had nothing to do with you. You jumped on my statement about how the majority didn't support integration or gay marriage. There was a lack of popular judgment when the Court decreed that those things should happen. I was replying to filghy2's comment that our country is "designed to thwart the will of the majority." Doing that isn't always a bad thing. Our system is full of checks and balances to thwart mob rule.
    I get that you don't want the legislature to be able to remove certain fundamental rights, but relying on the courts rather than the legislature to achieve change does not seem desirable. As we are seeing now, a powerful Supreme Court is two-edged sword.

If the status quo was basically fine it might be okay that change is difficult, but when there are major problems I think it becomes a fundamental weakness.

Gold Poster

I'm sure this point has been made in this thread but I'll make it again. The US has many more mass shootings than other western countries. How is the US different from these countries? They all have video games. They all have people with mental health problems. They all have divisions in society including by social class. Every society has its share of hateful people and political rabblerousing.

But other countries don't make it anywhere near as easy to buy military style weapons. And every time there's a mass shooting we hear a different excuse from the one Republicans made the last time.

Other countries don't have organizations and lobbyists standing in the way of even common sense gun reforms who threaten civil war if they don't get their way. Gun culture in the U.S. is primitive, it's creepy, and it's both a cause of and caused by a deep-seated hatred of others. Who sees a Christmas picture of a politician's family posing with weapons of war and doesn't think something is very, very wrong?

Last edited by broncofan; 03-31-2023 at 05:20 AM.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I'm sure this point has been made in this thread but I'll make it again. The US has many more mass shootings than other western countries. How is the US different from these countries? They all have video games. They all have people with mental health problems. They all have divisions in society including by social class. Every society has its share of hateful people and political rabblerousing.

But other countries don't make it anywhere near as easy to buy military style weapons. And every time there's a mass shooting we hear a different excuse from the one Republicans made the last time.

Other countries don't have organizations and lobbyists standing in the way of even common sense gun reforms who threaten civil war if they don't get their way. Gun culture in the U.S. is primitive, it's creepy, and it's both a cause of and caused by a deep-seated hatred of others. Who sees a Christmas picture of a politician's family posing with weapons of war and doesn't think something is very, very wrong?
    I was just watching NETFLIX's high score where they were discussing the violence of some 80s video games....

Interesting point because bans don't really work.....Case in point is drugs and alcohol.
    Virtually every country is now legalizing a lot of previously banned drugs because it was impossible to uphold - USA being last in doing so.
    We tried to ban marijuana = FAIL
    We tried to ban alcohol = FAIL
    And like alcohol bootleggers during prohibition and marijuana and cocaine coming across our borders, guns will come across with them....

Raise our kids differently, and we'll see real change.
    Raise them to accept everyone for who they are.
    Raise them to understand guns and knives aren't the answer.
    Raise them to understand that excessive drugs and alcohol use isn't the answer.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    And every time there's a mass shooting we hear a different excuse from the one Republicans made the last time.
    We also get a different excuse from Mr Fanti. Apparently, bans won't work but a bunch of homilies will fix the problem.

Oddly enough, gun restrictions seem to work pretty well in most other countries.

Last edited by filghy2; 03-31-2023 at 05:59 AM.