Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: 2024 USA Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

But is it not the case, that the key point that has led to the indictments in Georgia, is that Trump had no legal argument to justify a Continent Election -there was no proof of election rigging, that votes for Trump were swapped for Biden. There were two recounts in the State and recounts in other States, and all failed to prove Trump's case, and so on. It was fantasy politics, driven by Trump's infantile resentment that he lost and could not then, and does not now accept it. That the US should have been brought so low by a selfish moron tells us more about the Republican Party and its distance from reality and the Constitution than it does about Trump, because he was a known liar and crook long before he descended the escalator in New York.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

And also the claim that Trump wanted to halt the counting of mail-in ballots on the night of the election. We know that Roger Stone had laid out plans to reverse the result before election night, and it may be a key component of the case in Georgia and the Jan 6th trial that Trump never intended to honour the result of the election, having decided at 10 pm on the night that he had won it and anything that happened after was 'illegitimate'. From start to finish, the man was eyeball deep in bullshit, but in touch with people like Stone, Bannon and anyone who would encourage him to lead the attack on the US.

Trump unwittingly admitted to two of the charges against him in new interview, ex-Mueller prosecutor says (yahoo.com)

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Whether he unwittingly or wittingly admits to charges makes no difference for his supporters. He has no worries about incriminating himself, because he has yet to be held accountable for the vast majority of his crimes. (He's only lost the one civil suit so far.) He will continue to stall all prosecution, and if enough idiots vote enough Republicans into office he will escape accountability.

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    But is it not the case, that the key point that has led to the indictments in Georgia, is that Trump had no legal argument to justify a Continent Election -there was no proof of election rigging, that votes for Trump were swapped for Biden.
    They don't care. The point of the election-rigging claims was to create a figleaf to justify a legal coup, in the hope that disrupting the certification process would see the election decided by a state-based vote in the HoR or the Supreme Court.

The other objective was to convince Republican voters that the election was rigged so that Trump could retain control of the Party. In that he has obviously succeeded. If Republicans are able to block any accountability then trying to overturn election results has only upside, so why not just keep trying until you succeed?

The other thing is that they haven't paid a big electoral price for any of this. The polls are pointing to another close race. Swinging voters don't seem to be sure whether the future of democracy is a bigger concern that a temporary surge in inflation.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Rafael Cruz thinks at the last minute the Democrats will swap Biden for Michelle Obama.

"Hannity asked his guest if the former first lady would want that.
    “I don’t know Michelle very well,” Cruz said."
    Ted Cruz Predicts Democrats Will Ditch Biden At Last Minute For This Candidate (yahoo.com)

I wonder why? But then, what does he know?

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Rafael Cruz thinks at the last minute the Democrats will swap Biden for Michelle Obama.

Ted Cruz Predicts Democrats Will Ditch Biden At Last Minute For This Candidate (yahoo.com)

That would be a ridiculous move, but I guess that's what I should expect from Cruz.

Scathing commentary:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/ask-go...s-open-fascism

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    That would be a ridiculous move, but I guess that's what I should expect from Cruz.

Scathing commentary:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/ask-go...s-open-fascism
    Rabbits in headlights, yet those opposed to Trump, instead of being paranoid about lising his 'base' could widen their appeal, but it seems the Party is now so utterly detached that this once upon a time obvious tactic -remember Reagan Democrats?- is now unthinkable. Would these pathetic candidates if Trump can't make it step aside so Tom Brady can square off against Michelle Obama?

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

The Democrats aren't doing that. Ted-Sniveling Coward-Cruz doesn't know anything expect for playing a role in trying too overturn a free and fair election,that his leader lost.

A surprisingly weak assessment from Timothy Garton-Ash though he writes mostly about Europe. Yes the ‘age thing’ has traction, but he doesn’t factor in two things: 1) Trump has never, and will never be the choice of most Americans, and 2) he can only win through the electoral college, but if still there in 2024 there is the potential for Republican controlled States to use State law as changed since 2020 to select Trump regardless of the vote. This would create a crisis as deep kf not deeper than the re-election of the Disgusting Beast.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ident-trump-20

What did ‘Pro-Life’ Mike Pence say the other night?

““And if I’m president of the United States, I’m going to go to the Congress of the United States, and we’re going to pass a federal expedited death penalty for anyone involved in a mass shooting, so they will meet their fate in months, not years,” Pence said. “
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ass-shootings/

If Pence is indeed a believer in Jesus, he can only produce a couplet for any and all murderers:

‘I Love You, I Forgive You’.

In Christianity, Forgiveness is absolute, and non-negotiable.