Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Let's also not forget that Black America support for Harris was so abysmal - she dropped out of contention without even making it to the primaries.

Kamala Harris flames out: Black people didn't trust her, and they were wise not to
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2638096001/
    Clarification required, because according to Thombergon-

"Y'all. Harris currently enjoys a 72% approval rating among Black Americans. It's only slightly lower than her 77% approval among Democrats. Black voters were lukewarm on Harris at the top of a ticket in a must-win election because they (rightly) suspected that America is still too racist and misogynist to elect a black woman to the Presidency.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...rs-2020-075651

Harris is 57 years old and currently holds the highest elected office any woman has held in American history. If you're anti-Kamala, you better steel yourself because she's going to be bothering you for another couple decades or so."
    Komm, Kamala, Komm and Save the Nation! - Page 2 (hungangels.com) (post#11)

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

Apparently, almost nobody votes for a presidential ticket based on who the VP candidate is. Kamala isn’t running for president unless something bad happens to Biden. If that does happen, Kamala will have to compete to be the 2024 candidate just like anybody else, no guarantee that she will be the candidate. She may be able to claim that her time as VP qualifies her more than others (or maybe not). If Kamala actually needs to step in during Biden’s term (for example if Biden dies and Kamala becomes president for a time) then that experience will probably be more important.

I don’t really see much point in discussing Kamala… her position is mostly as backup. (She does have a lot of historical importance for women and people of color though.)

Are we really going to witness the spectacle of Biden vs Trump in 2024? Is it a case of 'Do I get to win this time?' for Putin's little friend?

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Warm View Post
    (She does have a lot of historical importance for women and people of color though.)
    And even with that, Blacks didn't support her prior to the primaries....Good to know that "we" won't vote for someone purely because they're Black....Bigger question is will Biden continue with her as VP?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

Junior Poster

Bigger question is will Biden continue with her as VP?
    100% yes. That was a winning formula in 2020 so why change it? I think the general consensus among Democrats is that Biden is doing much better than people expected, and overall this administration has had some success. Switching to another VP candidate would be like admitting there was a big problem with Kamala when a big problem doesn’t really exist.

If you see polls saying that Kamala has unfavorable polling, just ignore it, it’s meaningless. Nobody votes for who the VP candidate is. Some people dislike her because she’s not liberal enough, some people dislike her because she’s too liberal, some people dislike her because they don’t understand the job of VP is mainly backup. The reasons that some people dislike her are all over the board, there is no single reason all those people can agree on. At the end of the day, she will be running with Biden in 2024 again, and all those democrats who told pollsters that they don’t like Kamala (or Biden) will still vote Democratic. Again. Because the alternative is considered much worse.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

100% yes. That was a winning formula in 2020 so why change it?
    I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Not arguing against you - but so far, nothing has been officially stated.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

If you see polls saying that Kamala has unfavorable polling, just ignore it, it’s meaningless. Nobody votes for who the VP candidate is. Some people dislike her because she’s not liberal enough, some people dislike her because she’s too liberal, some people dislike her because they don’t understand the job of VP is mainly backup. The reasons that some people dislike her are all over the board, there is no single reason all those people can agree on. At the end of the day, she will be running with Biden in 2024 again, and all those democrats who told pollsters that they don’t like Kamala (or Biden) will still vote Democratic. Again. Because the alternative is considered much worse.
    It has nothing to do with polls IMHO, we Blacks didn't support her because of certain things that she did - hence the reason why she dropped out before even the primaries had started. And IMHO, I can think of a few Black women that I'd pick over her.
    But technically, she's not Black......so I guess that makes my point moot.....

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

It has nothing to do with polls IMHO, we Blacks didn't support her because of certain things that she did - hence the reason why she dropped out before even the primaries had started. And IMHO, I can think of a few Black women that I'd pick over her.
    You make assertions without addressing the need for clarification in my post#11 above, not least because of the words you use 'we Blacks' for example. Dare I suggest you do not speak for all Black Americans, or even a majority?

The complexities of voting and representation are contained in this fascinating examination of the 'urban-rural' divide in the US, if in fact it exists. It suggests, for example, that rural Black Americans may face the same levels of poverty that exist for Black Americans in cities, but also that with the right management and funding, poverty among Black Americans might also not be bad in either rural or urban areas.
    The ‘rural-urban divide’ furthers myths about race and poverty—concealing effective policy solutions (brookings.edu)

As for individuals, well maybe you could give us your 'top picks' of Black American women, given that I am only familiar this side of the Atlantic with those who I have seen on tv, eg Val Demings. One notes, in addition that there have been prominent Black American women before, Condoleezza Rice being an obvious one. And at one time Carol Mosely Braun was tipped as a high flyer but did not advance beyond the Senate to the White House.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I used to like Biden - until he decided he could determine whether or not I was Black.....
    So it's okay for you to determine whether someone else is "Black"? I'm pretty sure there is actually no such thing as "Black"; there is just people who have some degree of African ancestry (which she has on her father's side).

It's ironic that you keep speaking for "we Blacks" after previously complaining about people making generalisations about "Blacks".

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by filghy2; 03-23-2023 at 04:30 AM.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    You make assertions without addressing the need for clarification in my post#11 above, not least because of the words you use 'we Blacks' for example. Dare I suggest you do not speak for all Black Americans, or even a majority?
    It looks like the courageous MrF has gone back to blocking us. I'm not sure what the point of joining discussions is if a person refuses to explain or defend what they've posted.