Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 183
  1. #1
    Senior Member Platinum Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,404

    Default 2024 USA Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    So here we are, a year before campaigning normally starts, and these are the declared runners and riders who are a wishin' and a hopin' to become President.

    Nimrata Nikki Haley, Republican -if you don't know who she is, you might want to find out. Or not.

    Donald J Trump, Republican -the Fake President who has lost every election he was a candidate in, not the best basis on which to seek the nomination.

    Vivek Ramaswamy, Republican- apparently known only to viewers of Fox News, and given his views, not going to be known to many more.
    Rich Jerk Runs For President Because 'Woke Capitalism' Is Bad (gizmodo.com)

    Ron De Santis, Republican -oh go on, Ron, run!

    John Bolton, Republican -because there's a war on, and I do war.

    Mike Pence, Republican -will he? Won't he? Who cares?

    Marianne Williamson, Democrat -who? Indeed! Even this link doesn't inspire much curiosity.
    Self-help author Marianne Williamson reveals long-shot 2024 primary bid against Joe Biden (yahoo.com)

    Joe Biden, Democrat -and why not? He thinks he can do it, and so does his wife, so what do Americans want?

    Is this the campaign song?



    1 out of 1 members liked this post.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    South Eastern United States.
    Posts
    4,548

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    @Stavros:The MAGA Party has terrible candidates for the Republican Nomination.Most Americans will vote to re-elect Joe Biden for a second term as president,and to prevent the MAGA King Donald Trump from ever becoming president again,because it'll be alot worse than his first term. Yes it is the campaign song.


    0 out of 1 members liked this post.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,424

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk 2.0 View Post
    @Stavros:The MAGA Party has terrible candidates for the Republican Nomination.Most Americans will vote to re-elect Joe Biden for a second term as president,and to prevent the MAGA King Donald Trump from ever becoming president again,because it'll be alot worse than his first term. Yes it is the campaign song.
    I used to like Biden - until he decided he could determine whether or not I was Black.....
    I do like what Andrew Yang has been doing though....


    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

  4. #4
    filghy2 Silver Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    I'll say it yet again.
    I support Tulsi Gabbard - who would make a much better POTUS than Biden IMHO....
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    I do like what Andrew Yang has been doing though....
    Let's hope this ages better than your previous enthusiasm (now MAGA favourite).


    1 out of 2 members liked this post.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Platinum Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,404

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    I used to like Biden - until he decided he could determine whether or not I was Black.....
    I do like what Andrew Yang has been doing though....
    Sorry, don't understand this. Must have missed something.


    1 out of 1 members liked this post.

  6. #6
    filghy2 Silver Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Sorry, don't understand this. Must have missed something.
    I assume he's referring to this comment. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/bide...-or-trump.html

    It's interesting that Mr F seems more concerned about one Biden comment (which he apologised for) than he is about Trump's long history of encouraging bigots and fraternising with white supremacists.


    2 out of 3 members liked this post.

  7. #7
    filghy2 Silver Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    Interesting article on Ron De Santis's history of shape-shifting to advance his career according to which way the political winds were blowing. https://www.vox.com/politics/2362271...al-opportunism

    Right-wing politics seems to have degenerated into a perfomative game of pandering to the prejudices of their voters. Whatever one's view on the policies of Thatcher and Reagan, they did at least appear to be acting out of a genuine conviction.


    1 out of 1 members liked this post.

  8. #8
    filghy2 Silver Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    Those Republicans who have welcomed De Santis as a counter to Trump may be in for an unpleasant surprise. It's looking like he intends to try to win the nomination by competing with Trump to appeal to the MAGA America First crowd.
    https://www.vox.com/politics/2023/3/...publican-split

    When a person describes Russia's brutal invasion as a "territorial dispute" that is pretty disingenuous.

    This raises a couple of questions:
    1. If you agree with Trump on most things then what is your argument for why Republicans should vote for your rather than him?
    2. If it comes down to electability, how is trying to out-MAGA Trump going to win over swinging voters who dislike Trump?



  9. #9
    Senior Member Platinum Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,404

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    The question raised as it has been done here before, is: How do Republicans appeal to voters who do not normally vote for them, and do they even care about them? De Santis is no different from the others in appealing only to those voters who support the party position on firearms and the 2nd Amendment, anti-Abortion strategies, border hysteria, 'charter schools' and an hostility to Critical Race Theory that is so ignorant of this school of jurisprudence as to be little more than anti-Black racism.

    Is it the case that Republicans know they cannot win the popular vote (as Nikki Haley pointed out in her speech the other week), but can win the Electoral College, even if it means using voter suppression, and newly elected State/Election officials to manipulate the vote? If this is true it suggest the 2024 election is going to descend into chaos fairly quickly if Biden is re-elected, assuming he is the candidate.

    But what legitimacy would such a Republican have if barely 30% of the voters vote for him or her, and the evidence of 'rigging' on their side if clear?


    1 out of 2 members liked this post.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,424

    Default Re: 2024 Election: Wishin' and Hopin'

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk 2.0 View Post
    @Stavros:The MAGA Party has terrible candidates for the Republican Nomination.Most Americans will vote to re-elect Joe Biden for a second term as president,and to prevent the MAGA King Donald Trump from ever becoming president again,because it'll be alot worse than his first term. Yes it is the campaign song.
    Let's also not forget that Black America support for Harris was so abysmal - she dropped out of contention without even making it to the primaries.

    Kamala Harris flames out: Black people didn't trust her, and they were wise not to
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2638096001/


    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

Similar Threads

  1. The United States 1776-2024, Running on Water
    By Stavros in forum Politics and Religion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-04-2022, 06:06 AM
  2. Election
    By rodinuk in forum Politics and Religion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 02:38 AM
  3. Election
    By forever knight in forum Politics and Religion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 05:24 AM
  4. Election Day
    By meghanchavalier in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
  5. Election
    By Gus The Dagger in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 05:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •