Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Default Re: I'm a trans woman of color in an all-male prison. I had to sue the state to get g

Quote Originally Posted by mildcigar_2001 View Post
    The burgeoning crime rates means we haven't locked up enough criminals yet. Take the criminals out of society and the crime rate goes down.
    That's not how crime works (or criminals). There isn't a finite number of born criminals who can be detected and removed from society. There are conditions that lead people to crime. Simply locking everyone up who falls prey to the conditions won't end crime.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: I'm a trans woman of color in an all-male prison. I had to sue the state to get g

The burgeoning crime rates means we haven't locked up enough criminals yet. Take the criminals out of society and the crime rate goes down.

How to stop gun crime in the US: take away the guns. Sorted.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    That's not how crime works (or criminals). There isn't a finite number of born criminals who can be detected and removed from society. There are conditions that lead people to crime. Simply locking everyone up who falls prey to the conditions won't end crime.

More Liberal nonsense.

I will return to the NYC model. Back when crimes were aggressively prosecuted the crime rate was lowered dramatically. When DeBlasio started his soft on crime experient, unsurprisingly crime rates shot upwards.

If it appears to the prospective criminal that his or her antisocial behavior will lead to significant punishment then a significant percentage of prospective criminals will make the choice not to do the crime.

The conditions that cause crime are varied, but punishing criminals harshly is not one of them.

When you punish enough criminals, others in society do eventually get the message. Even a tapeworm will turn away from pain.

When you go soft on crime you get NYC, Chicago, D.C., S.F., L.A, etc. (all cesspits of crime that were once great cities).

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

You already tried this with the law on drugs, which was possibly the main reason why the imprisonment rate increased so much after 1980. Are you seriously claiming this was a success or that the problem could be solved if only more people were locked up?

To get back to the topic, do you actually believe convicted trans should be sent to male prisons to maximise the deterrent effect?

Last edited by filghy2; 03-05-2023 at 03:02 AM.

filghy2 Silver Poster

This is just stupid reasoning.

It is very hard to commit other crimes (especially against law abiding citizens) while you are in prison.

Look at the diference in the crime rates between the NYC of the Giuliani/Bloomberg eras when there was strict enforcement of the laws, and now (with elimination of cash bail and lax law enforcement). Real people are getting killed because radical politicians decided to become soft on crime.
    Let's see if you can go beyond rehashing right-wing talking points. Here's some data sources on imprisonment and crime rates by US states. I look forward to your explanation as to how this supports your thesis that crime is caused by left-wing politicians not locking up enough people. There appears to be no clear relationship to me, but maybe you are more creative.

https://www.hamiltonproject.org/char...rates_by_state
    https://usafacts.org/articles/which-...nd-most-crime/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ent_crime_rate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pervision_rate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	incarceration_violent_crimes_rate_1080_677_80.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1414507  

Last edited by filghy2; 03-05-2023 at 05:15 AM.

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

More Liberal nonsense.

I will return to the NYC model. Back when crimes were aggressively prosecuted the crime rate was lowered dramatically. When DeBlasio started his soft on crime experient, unsurprisingly crime rates shot upwards.

If it appears to the prospective criminal that his or her antisocial behavior will lead to significant punishment then a significant percentage of prospective criminals will make the choice not to do the crime.

The conditions that cause crime are varied, but punishing criminals harshly is not one of them.

When you punish enough criminals, others in society do eventually get the message. Even a tapeworm will turn away from pain.

When you go soft on crime you get NYC, Chicago, D.C., S.F., L.A, etc. (all cesspits of crime that were once great cities).
    Bullshit. Lowered dramatically is not eliminated. Treating the symptoms only ever gives temporary gains. There are systemic issues in play. Also, if crime goes down and innocent people are persecuted (yes, there are plenty of bullshit arrests), then it's just a shell game.

Crime has always been a problem in "great cities." Every city you cited has always been known for high crime.

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Member Rookie Poster

I think that anyone can identify however they want.But A Trans woman who gets prostrate cancer will have to be treated as a Male because of the medication used. So if they feel their rights so strongly as a right to be female which we all respect would they deny treatment.

Senior Member Junior Poster

"To get back to the topic, do you actually believe convicted trans should be sent to male prisons to maximise the deterrent effect?"

It is probably safer for the genetic females (who are incarcerated) for convicted trans folks (MTF) to be sent to male prisons. We have seen female prisoners abused by men who claimed they were transsexual after they were convicted (of rape among other things) and then sent to women's' prison.

At this point I'm sick of catering to the "rights" of prisoners (transsexual or otherwise).

If it were up to me, the U.S. would buy Devil's Island from the French and start incarcerating felons down there. I would have them wear striped pajamas and have them break up rocks into smaller rocks all day.

I will emphasize that there is difference between jail and prisons. If you get sent to prison you are an outlier and committed serious offenses, and are deserving of punishment.

filghy2 Silver Poster

It is probably safer for the genetic females (who are incarcerated) for convicted trans folks (MTF) to be sent to male prisons. We have seen female prisoners abused by men who claimed they were transsexual after they were convicted (of rape among other things) and then sent to women's' prison.
    I think you are dodging the question a bit. I'm not suggesting that they should be sent to female prison just on their say so that they are trans. The question is what do you think should happen to those who can show some prior evidence that they were transitioning.

filghy2 Silver Poster

If it were up to me, the U.S. would buy Devil's Island from the French and start incarcerating felons down there. I would have them wear striped pajamas and have them break up rocks into smaller rocks all day.
    You may not be aware of this, but that's pretty much what your own country was used for prior to independence. Sounds like you want to go back to those days.
    https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/ar...on-to-america/