Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: What's that British Press, Nothing To Say, Nothing At All?

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    This part I agree with you about.
    My point being, in case it was missed, that whatever international comparisons one makes, there is a local context in which to analyse and understand relations between Palestinians and Israelis, and that this is the one that matters most, though as I pointed out above it is not relevant to the theme of this thread.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    And as I am also guilty of it, I think this thread has strayed far from the OP Jericho offered which concerned the internal management of the Labour Party. I guess it just doesn't interest most people here.
    The reason for the general lack of interest in these allegations seems pretty clear: Corbyn had his chance in 2019 and was rejected decisively by the voters. Corbyn supporters want to blame media bias and internal undermining, but those factors were also present in 2017 so they can't explain why the Labour vote went so far backwards in 2019. It seems that he benefited from a protest vote in 2017, when few expected him to win, but the more voters thought about him as PM the more concerns they had.

Most of the Labour Party has no interest in raking over old coals when they are strongly favoured to win the next election. The Tories have no interest in attacking then for being unfair to Corbyn and his supporters. The general public has little interest in internal party matters unless it affects how the country in governed.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    The reason for the general lack of interest in these allegations seems pretty clear: Corbyn had his chance in 2019 and was rejected decisively by the voters. Corbyn supporters want to blame media bias and internal undermining, but those factors were also present in 2017 so they can't explain why the Labour vote went so far backwards in 2019. It seems that he benefited from a protest vote in 2017, when few expected him to win, but the more voters thought about him as PM the more concerns they had.

Most of the Labour Party has no interest in raking over old coals when they are strongly favoured to win the next election. The Tories have no interest in attacking then for being unfair to Corbyn and his supporters. The general public has little interest in internal party matters unless it affects how the country in governed.
    An excellent post and summary, bar one factor. This is the difficulty Labour will have of winning an election as the largest party in the Commons. To do this, it either needs to take seats from the Conservatives in England, or hope those seats are taken by the Liberal Democrats, which I think is the more likely result. But it also needs to claw back seats in Scotland, and although this has looked improbable in recent years, one wonders how solid the SNP vote is, but without at least 10 seats in Scotland, I am not sure that the Labour Party in England can win enough for an outright majority. And, right now, the assumption is that the Conservatives are going to get hammered, and while Jeremy Hunt might be able to calm the markets, their volatility is not the bigger issue, which is the rise in interest rates, the cost of living and whatever energy problems we face this winter.

At the moment, then, I think a Hung Parliament is the most likely result, as in 2010, with Labour having to do a deal with the Liberal Democrats, given the SNP and Labour keep telling us they won't co-operate with each other, not least if the SNP makes an Independence Referendum the only factor bringing it into coalition.