Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default US Open Tennis 2022

It's all about the balls. I had no idea this even happened. Strange! But love Pegula's comment-

"Pegula, however, has no issues with the men’s balls: “I played with them when I’m at home"...

‘You’ve just started a war’: Iga Swiatek wades into row over US Open balls | US Open Tennis 2022 | The Guardian

Gold Poster

Default Re: US Open Tennis 2022

Hi Stavros, I don't know if you watched the open but I mostly watched the men's side. I know it's a bit of a diversion from the purpose of your thread but I figure there are only a couple people who've commented on the tennis so I'd offer a few thoughts.

Alcaraz played amazing tennis and will be in the top ten at least for the next ten years unless he suffers injuries. Not a bold call but he has a big forehand, great movement, and is very mentally tough. I saw his matches against Sinner and Tiafoe and though they were close it was no accident he won both.

Tiafoe is both a great person and an excellent player. Would love to see him continue the success he had at the us open. Was impressed with his win over Nadal and his performance against Alcaraz.

Casper Ruud is a very good player who has a weak backhand imo. Jim Courier had a lot of success with a similarly weak backhand, but the game is different now. I like him though and wish him continued success. Still tough.

Kyrgios is very talented and he showed better ability to fight it out in tough matches this year. Big serve, big groundstrokes, good feel, but he continues to be impulsive. He may break through and win a slam, a great achievement, but I doubt he'll be a consistent top player.

Djokovic may get to play at the Australian Open but his vaccine stance has made me lose interest in his game. His groundstrokes are picture perfect, but a shmuck is a shmuck and the sport didn't really miss him that much at the US Open.

Federer announced his retirement yesterday. No surprise as he's been inactive. The most elegant game I've ever seen and the best shot-maker for sure. One of my favorite points of Federer below...shows a lot of what is great about both Nadal and Roger.

Gold Poster

Default Re: US Open Tennis 2022

I know I didn't mention the women's game which historically I've liked as much as the men's. It's more a function of the fact that I watch only the slams and there are more new names on the women's side right now.

I really enjoyed Fernandez and Raducanu last year but they've both had ups and downs since then and are ranked outside the top 30. To think the complaint used to be that there wasn't depth on the women's side....there is a lot of depth but I need to spend a bit more time watching.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.