Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: FBI Raids Mar-A-Lago

Trump may be the main attraction, but what ought to worry Americans most, is the support he has, and the language of threat and intimidation that is being issued by members of Congress who know perfectly well that the FBI and the DoJ are independent of the White House. It is the ease with which they condemn their own political system that raises the question -what do they want? The plethora of drivel from the Usual Suspects -McCarthy, Rubio, Cruz and MTG is evidence of the legitimacy crisis that has been engineered in the US, evidently by people who no longer believe the Constitution is fit for purpose, and who believe in Monarchy -rule by one person- rather than democracy. Though they may only represent 30-35% of the public.

It was said of the Terror in France, 'Ten men can make ten thousand tremble'. A handful of Senators and Congressional Representatives can wreak havoc. Terror indeed.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    The difficulty in prosecuting Trump reminds me of the difficulty the feds had in trying to prosecute mafia bosses and why we had to pass laws like RICO that allowed greater imputation of crimes among co-conspirators. Those prosecutions usually involved going after lower-level people and getting them to flip. That takes years which we don't have.
    The additional problem with getting insiders to flip against Trump is they know they can count on pardon if he becomes President again.

As I recall, Al Capone was convicted for tax evasion in the end. Perhaps conviction for mishandling of official records could serve an analogous function for Trump.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    It is the ease with which they condemn their own political system that raises the question -what do they want?
    Something like this, no doubt. Orban is clearly a role model for the US right nowadays.
    https://www.vox.com/2022/8/5/2329244...2-speech-trump

Most of the Republican Party seems comfortable with moving in an authoritarian direction by manipulating the system to ensure the other side can't win and stacking independent institutions with partisans. They justify this by telling themselves lurid stories about the supposed liberal threat to their way of life. As you suggest, this is not just about Trump. Another leader would move the same way.

The big question is whether uncommitted voters will wake up to this before it's too late, or whether they will be so distracted by anger about inflation that they can't see beyond punishing the incumbents. My guess is that a shift in focus from the economy to Trump's misdeeds would help the Dems to some degree, but who knows? I'm continually amazed at how the Republicans seem able to avoid reckoning for their increasing extremism.

Last edited by filghy2; 08-11-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post

The big question is whether uncommitted voters will wake up to this before it's too late, or whether they will be so distracted by anger about inflation that they can't see beyond punishing the incumbents. My guess is that a shift in focus from the economy to Trump's misdeeds would help the Dems to some degree, but who knows? I'm continually amazed at how the Republicans seem able to avoid reckoning for their increasing extremism.
    For how long can people vote for Trump and his apostles because they are angry and feel alienated? Evidence appears to show that Roe-v-Wade being removed from the jurisdiction of the Federal Govt has sparked a reaction that begs the question I have asked elsewhere -what if all States were to hold a referendum on Abortion and the majority say they want it to remain a woman's right to choose? And at some point, will the incessant need for Trump to be front, back and centre of everything the Republicans talk about weary the voter, so they either abstain or vote Democrat? I don't think the US has had such a domineering personality cult since Elvis, and Trump ain't he.

If I were in the US I would implore the Democrats to create a campaign which emphasises a positive future for all, one that would run counter to the forever-backwards of Trump and the Republicans. And is it the case that inflation actually declined in the last mohth?

And I read I think, in The Guardian, that Trump is convinced someone in his 'camp' flipped and tipped off the FBI about the classified documents in Mar-a-Lago -there is more to this event than is being discussed in the open.

filghy2 Silver Poster

And I read I think, in The Guardian, that Trump is convinced someone in his 'camp' flipped and tipped off the FBI about the classified documents in Mar-a-Lago -there is more to this event than is being discussed in the open.
    Trump and his allies are now claiming that the FBI planted evidence, which is a pretty strong indication that they found something incriminating. It will be interesting to see whether Trump agrees to release the warrant now that the AG has moved to unseal it.

Gold Poster

Trump and his allies are now claiming that the FBI planted evidence, which is a pretty strong indication that they found something incriminating. It will be interesting to see whether Trump agrees to release the warrant now that the AG has moved to unseal it.
    We now know what they were looking for. Documents labeled "top secret" and pertaining to nuclear secrets. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mp-mar-a-lago/

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Indeed they are.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Donald-D.A.M.N-Trump and his enablers are full of horseshit,because he and his allies knows how much legal trouble he's in and there's no way out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    We now know what they were looking for. Documents labeled "top secret" and pertaining to nuclear secrets. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mp-mar-a-lago/
    Could it be related to the contracts with Saudi Arabia that Trump approved and was revealed in Congress in the Spring of 2019? One wonders if Trump has received any payments from MbS for his 'assistance' in the Kingdom of 9/11's nuclear ambitions, and as this is ongoing, maybe Trump sees more opportunities to make money?

And how secure is Mar-a-Lago from, say, Russian or Chinese spies?

Gold Poster

Could it be related to the contracts with Saudi Arabia that Trump approved and was revealed in Congress in the Spring of 2019? One wonders if Trump has received any payments from MbS for his 'assistance' in the Kingdom of 9/11's nuclear ambitions, and as this is ongoing, maybe Trump sees more opportunities to make money?

And how secure is Mar-a-Lago from, say, Russian or Chinese spies?
    I would say the majority of guesses I've seen are about Saudi Arabia. I don't think Mar-a-Lago is at all secure when it comes to spies and it's anyone's guess whether the material has been compromised. I suppose the fact that we don't know who's seen it is a degree of it being compromised. You have top secret classification so that you can have truly secret high-level documents AND rely on your certainty or near certainty that no other country's spies have seen them.

I'm going to wait to find out bc I have trouble believing anyone would be so crazy to risk selling nuclear secrets. I know that Trump has shown a high degree of crazy and corruption but the plan seems to risk unequivocal treason in exchange for traceable money from despots. People have done brazenly stupid things before and Trump in particular but I just don't feel confident even guessing.