Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Wimbledon 2022-or Fumbledon?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    John Isner, the most unimaginative, boring player since Pete Sampras?

Emma needs to be ruthless and take risks, or she will not win another Grand Slam.
    After watching a thrilling game between Sinner and Alcazar, I think I might have to nominate Djokovic as another boring player to watch- or not as the case may be. Which is not how one can refer to Kyrgios....playing again today.

2023. So now Russians will be allowed to play at Wimbledon, as 'neutrals'. I always assumed, as the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club is a private club, that Nationality was incidental to the invitation to play at the annual Tournament. All of the previous posts apply.

Gold Poster

John Isner, the most unimaginative, boring player since Pete Sampras?
    Isner is boring. I never thought the same about Sampras. Great serve obviously but he was the last effective serve and volleyer. He moved well, hit a hard, flat forehand, hit a good penetrating slice, and rarely missed his volleys. Isner fits the bill as just a big guy with no imagination which is why he's won 0 grand slams to Sampras' 14.

What's interesting about Sampras is that he was only 6'1 170. So if he was overpowering other players it was more likely a combination of technique and positioning than raw strength. Pete was basically an updated Boris Becker; better serve, better forehand, better movement. Federer is an updated Sampras; better forehand, better backhand, with physical grace added to the mix.

Gold Poster

Anyhow, it looks like Alcaraz is my new favorite player and I'm looking forward to watching him at Wimbledon.

An interesting note. My high school tennis coach was Harry Fritz. Harry Fritz is Taylor Fritz' uncle. I had a couple of lessons as a kid with Taylor's dad Guy, who was a good player but known for being a bit wild. Harry, on the other hand, was a mild-mannered, super nice guy. He was one of my favorite tennis coaches and Taylor seems pretty nice like Harry was. Harry did threaten to kick me out of the Ritz Carlton tennis courts in Indian Wells once for throwing my racquet, something I rarely did. But I deserved it. He said "don't make me kick you out of the royalty of the Ritz." Fortunately he never did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Fritz

Gold Poster

Sorry, nostalgia and the topic title had me a bit disoriented. I am glad everyone's able to play at Wimbledon this year. The French will be next. Hope it's Alcaraz' first French championship.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Anyhow, it looks like Alcaraz is my new favorite player and I'm looking forward to watching him at Wimbledon.

An interesting note. My high school tennis coach was Harry Fritz. Harry Fritz is Taylor Fritz' uncle. I had a couple of lessons as a kid with Taylor's dad Guy, who was a good player but known for being a bit wild. Harry, on the other hand, was a mild-mannered, super nice guy. He was one of my favorite tennis coaches and Taylor seems pretty nice like Harry was. Harry did threaten to kick me out of the Ritz Carlton tennis courts in Indian Wells once for throwing my racquet, something I rarely did. But I deserved it. He said "don't make me kick you out of the royalty of the Ritz." Fortunately he never did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Fritz
    Hmmm....Ritz Carlton, Indian Wells...nostalgia indeed -been downhill ever since then, eh? But agree with you on Alcazar and will this be Nadal's last Paris?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Hmmm....Ritz Carlton, Indian Wells...nostalgia indeed -been downhill ever since then, eh?
    I'm afraid so. I loved those days....got to skip school to ballboy for the Indian Wells tournament. We've got a great new generation of players to watch. Would love to see Nadal win one last French, even if it means Alcaraz has to wait.

A sad, even pathetic end to the match between Svitolina and Venus Williams, who refused to shake the umpire's hand at the end because she didn't agree with the call, even though the ball was clearly in to give Svitolina the win. One can quibble about the timing of a line judges call and so on, but that's the way it was played. There are times when I wonder why Venus bothers as she doesn't play with the fire and verve that marked her earlier career. The commentary on the BBC quoted something from Billie Jean King on the people at the top who decide to take the long way down, rather than retire.

Graceless, on this occasion. Didn't know Svitolina is married to Gael Monfils.