Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Default Re: Will Ron Run Do or is Da Ron Doo Doo?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    So Ron was at Guantanamo, and is outraged at the suggestion he did anything wrong there, or that anyone could recognize him years later, which, like never happened with someone from Auschwtiz recognizing a camp guard? Hmmm. Seems he had a job to do, and preferred to let the 'Guys' 'do their thing' rather than impose the law.

Ron DeSantis in Guantánamo: how questions about his past haunt the Florida governor | Ron DeSantis | The Guardian
    ... which will only earn him more Republican voters.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Junior Poster

It seems like the more people see DeSantis, the less they like him. He is simply not “presidential” - he sounds whiny and seems weak. When he does act tough, it often seems like bad judgement or an overreach (going after Disney, feuding with other governors, declaring “Florida is where Woke goes to die” etc). If he runs against Trump, he will be curb-stomped. I would love to see DeSantis try to debate Trump, who is basically an insult comic and wildly entertaining. Remember the DeSantis ad where he was reading “The Art of the Deal” to his young daughter? Think that will come up at some point? Trump will tear him to shreds. He’s in a tough position because if he runs for president now, it’s a suicide mission. If DeSantis wisely decides to sit it out (because barring an illness or legal jeopardy, Trump already has the nomination locked up) in 2028 DeSantis will be out of office for 2 years by then (there are term limits for Florida governors, he’s on his last term now). In 2028 he will be off everyone’s radars, and considered old news.

Does DeSantis accept the suicide mission now, or wait until he’s considered irrelevant in 2028 and then fight it out in the primary with a dozen other mediocre Republican wannabes? Both options are terrible. Maybe he could run for Senate in 2026, but everything else is considered a step down from where he is now. We may be witnessing his last hurrahs. Unless something bad happens to Trump.

sorry this is so long winded

Junior Poster

Check out DeSantis at this press conference (it’s a 1 minute video). Does this goofball seem “presidential” to anyone? It doesn’t matter what they’re talking about (it’s Guantanamo though)… look at his delivery, his mannerisms, the sound of his voice, the squinting. This guy will never, ever be the president.

Last edited by Luke Warm; 05-01-2023 at 04:23 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Warm View Post
    It seems like the more people see DeSantis, the less they like him. He is simply not “presidential” - he sounds whiny and seems weak. When he does act tough, it often seems like bad judgement or an overreach (going after Disney, feuding with other governors, declaring “Florida is where Woke goes to die” etc). If he runs against Trump, he will be curb-stomped. I would love to see DeSantis try to debate Trump, who is basically an insult comic and wildly entertaining. Remember the DeSantis ad where he was reading “The Art of the Deal” to his young daughter? Think that will come up at some point? Trump will tear him to shreds. He’s in a tough position because if he runs for president now, it’s a suicide mission. If DeSantis wisely decides to sit it out (because barring an illness or legal jeopardy, Trump already has the nomination locked up) in 2028 DeSantis will be out of office for 2 years by then (there are term limits for Florida governors, he’s on his last term now). In 2028 he will be off everyone’s radars, and considered old news.

Does DeSantis accept the suicide mission now, or wait until he’s considered irrelevant in 2028 and then fight it out in the primary with a dozen other mediocre Republican wannabes? Both options are terrible. Maybe he could run for Senate in 2026, but everything else is considered a step down from where he is now. We may be witnessing his last hurrahs. Unless something bad happens to Trump.

sorry this is so long winded
    Useful, not long winded. I think the GOP has a dilemma -Trump remains the man with the Base, but the senior people in the Party, be they in Congress or the State, know he can't win a General Election, while the alternatives are De Santis and Haley, neither of whom can win either, unless the State Legislators who have taken office since Jan 6 decide to use their powers to fiddle with the election results in 2024.

But there are Democrats who are just as worried that Biden could be vulnerable to a younger Republican candidate.

From what I see, Biden at least has a strong record to run on; but evidence suggests many -most?- voters are weary of both Men, but neither party has a charismatic alternative who can sweep the field, given that Harris doesn't seem to command much in the News cycle. If anything, Biden aside, the people lining up for the Presidency so far are probably the weakest I have ever come across, and I have been following this from the UK since the disastrous Democrat Convention in Chicago in 1968, but again a lot depends on whether Harris wants the job.

Would Harris beat De Santis if it came to that?

I think if it's Trump v Biden in 2024 then bar those State Legislators fixing the vote, it is at least the last time those two will be the News, so I guess as your post suggests, 2028 is the Election the next generation is looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Warm View Post
    Check out DeSantis at this press conference (it’s a 1 minute video). Does this goofball seem “presidential” to anyone? It doesn’t matter what they’re talking about (it’s Guantanamo though)… look at his delivery, his mannerisms, the sound of his voice, the squinting. This guy will never, ever be the president.

That kind of behavior worked fine for Trump.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Agree that kind of behavior worked for the MAGA King,but it isn't going work for Ron Mussolini.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk 2.0 View Post
    Agree that kind of behavior worked for the MAGA King,but it isn't going work for Ron Mussolini.
    He's still very popular with Florida Republicans.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    It’s not the behavior (chastising a reporter) it’s that he comes off sounding weak and whiny. He has less ‘gravitas’ than a toy poodle.

I dunno, maybe I’m wrong, since I assumed everyone would know what I was trying to point out. Maybe some people see DiSantis differently than I do. I think he doesn’t look like he can play the part convincingly, if you know what I mean. His voice and mannerisms seem wimpy to me. But maybe I’m reading it wrong.

Laws like this will be coming to many other states:
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/17/polit...ill/index.html