Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Default Re: Will Ron Run Do or is Da Ron Doo Doo?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The claims De Santis makes, it is argued, are based on unreliable statistics, because of the changes made to the way the FBI collects them, and the claim that up to 45% of Florida is not counted in the stats for the State.

Thus, in 2020 Trump made the claim

"Trump claimed in the written statement that “on crime statistics, Florida ranked Third Worst in Murder, Third Worst in Rape, and Third Worst in Aggravated Assault.”
    Facts First: This needs context. Trump was correct that Florida has had the third-most of various kinds of crimes, but that’s mostly because Florida has had the third-biggest population. Per capita, a fairer way to compare jurisdictions of different sizes, Florida rates notably better. In 2020, the last year for which thorough national crime data has been published by the FBI, Florida was 25th-worst for reported murders, 33rd-worst for reported rapes, and 23rd-worst for reported aggravated assaults, crime analyst and consultant Jeff Asher told CNN."
    Fact-checking Trump's barrage of attacks against Ron DeSantis | CNN Politics

But then this:

"To attract Republican primary voters across the country, Gov. Ron DeSantis is pitching himself as a "law-and-order" presidential candidate. His proof: Florida's 50-year crime low.
    Yes, but: Nearly half of the state's population is excluded from 2021 crime figures estimated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), according to data provided to Axios by The Marshall Project, a nonprofit newsroom covering criminal justice.

• Florida's participation rate in the FBI's national data collection is also the lowest of any state in the country.

Why it matters: The data gap means it's nearly impossible to compare Florida's crime rate to other states or current crime statistics with data from past years."
    Fact Check: Florida's crime 'record low' under Desantis, half of population excluded in data - Axios Tampa Bay

I suppose someone can then drill into the available stats for different crimes, eg Murder, Robbery et al. In the UK there is currently a claim shoplifting is not just becoming uncontrollable, but that it is because it is being carried out by organized gangs rather than individuals.
    ‘It’s organised looting’: UK in grip of a shoplifting epidemic, say store owners | Crime | The Guardian

What would Florida's stats look like based on more accurate stats, with a breakdown of the crimes -for what crime, other than Murder and Violence against the Person, causes people the most anxiety?

"When State of the Union host Jake Tapper brought Musk’s widely condemned “actual truth” message to the screen, DeSantis said he had “no idea what the context is” and said he would not “pass judgment on the fly”, although he said he stood against antisemitism “across the board”.“I know Elon Musk,” DeSantis said. “I’ve never seen him do anything. I think he’s a guy that believes in America, I’ve never seen him indulge in any of that. So it’s surprising if that’s true.”"
    Musk ‘believes in America’: DeSantis defends X owner after antisemitic post | Ron DeSantis | The Guardian

First line of The Godfather: I believe in America.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    "When State of the Union host Jake Tapper brought Musk’s widely condemned “actual truth” message to the screen, DeSantis said he had “no idea what the context is” and said he would not “pass judgment on the fly”, although he said he stood against antisemitism “across the board”.“I know Elon Musk,” DeSantis said. “I’ve never seen him do anything. I think he’s a guy that believes in America, I’ve never seen him indulge in any of that. So it’s surprising if that’s true.”"
    Musk ‘believes in America’: DeSantis defends X owner after antisemitic post | Ron DeSantis | The Guardian

First line of The Godfather: I believe in America.
    Ron DeSantis is very delusional,and not surprised at all he's defending a right wing loving pile of shit like Elon Musk.

He's running but he's a really weird guy.

"That's what i thought you said."

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

DeSantis is out. Best news I've seen in a long time:
    https://apnews.com/article/ron-desan...258f0c2754c8ba

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

No doo doo, just noo noo. Who cares?