Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Lose your Values, and lose your head -but for Golf?

Is there no other way to reform the tour? Maybe Trump and MbS will host a new tournament and call it the Khashoggi Cup?

"US golf courses owned by Donald Trump could host events in a hugely controversial new league funded by Saudi Arabia, the Washington Post reported on Saturday.
    Elsewhere, it was reported this week that the US golfer Phil Mickelson, a former world No 1, called the Saudis “scary motherfuckers” but said the new league would offer a chance to reshape world golf.
    “They’re scary motherfuckers to get involved with,” Alan Shipnuck, the author of a forthcoming unauthorized biography of Mickelson, quoted the golfer as saying.
    “We know they killed Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay.
    “Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates … The Saudi money has finally given us leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the Saudi league] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...bia-league-liv

Gold Poster

Default Re: Lose your Values, and lose your head -but for Golf?

Keyword: …money…

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Lose your Values, and lose your head -but for Golf?

Indeed, but if the Saudis want to invest in Golf in the US, why do it with Trump? There are plenty of other clubs in the US, and they will probably charge less for the use of ther faciliies. On the other hand, given the close relationship Trump has with the head-choppers of Arabia, it is one sure way of getting rich, and is also another example of Trump's obsession, I think it is an obsession, with Sport as a 'business', or is it an easier way to launder money than real estate?