Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Is anybody travelling whilst being unvaccinated??

Quote Originally Posted by corbindallas View Post
    It's not a silly argument as I wasn't addressing the OP. People who travel the most are the biggest spreaders of the disease. It's really not hard to grasp. Being vaxxed doesn't magically preclude you from being a carrier. You could be asymptomatic, which is often what happens with vaxxed people who unknowingly spread the disease.

Also it's in response to Grooby who's calling the OP a "dickwad" while talking about all these places he's flying to. Just pointing out obvious irony. No doubt he's spread the disease. I guarantee it.
    This is nonsense, as you cannot guarantee anything unless you have the medical records to prove it. I was in Germany for over a month travelling from the UK between December and January, with two vaccinations and a booster, and travelled in the country to different places either on my own on public transport, or by car with friends. I doubt my movements were so different from what Steve did. I know I was not a carrier because I was tested -I was obliged to be tested- numerous times, and I would not be surprised if Steve was too. But I am sure he can speak for himself on this.

2 out of 6 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Also it's in response to Grooby who's calling the OP a "dickwad" while talking about all these places he's flying to. Just pointing out obvious irony. No doubt he's spread the disease. I guarantee it.
    Once more proving how ridiculous you are. Tested before I flew each time on a PCR. Tested when I arrived back in UK, via PCR (and quarantined until negative result).
    Still sour over your last tantrum?

3 out of 5 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Eh you seem self righteous about it really. Like someone convinced of their moral superiority on the subject. An anti vaxer who stays home had done far less damage to the population than you have, selfishly traveling around and potentially carrying it all over the place.

So idk if it's just to make yourself feel better but that logic falls flat for you, unfortunately.
    Neither self-righteous or morally superior. Just sensible, and logical.

3 out of 5 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    Incidentally, the premise that vaccination makes no difference to the chances of being a carrier appears to be incorrect. According to the latest CDC data for December an unvaccinated person is 3 times more likely to test positive than a person who's had two shots, and 5 times more likely than a person who has also had a booster.
    https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...vaccine-status
    I was going to chime in to say this but find the subject kind of frustrating.

But this is important as the shots DO provide protection against infection from Omicron. To reiterate they also provide greater than 90% effectiveness against hospitalization and death. But being 5x less likely to get covid is nothing to snicker at given that the shots were designed for the original virus out of Wuhan.

Omicron didn't become the dominant variant until 11 months after the vaccines became available and it's the first variant in which there's a significant reduction in protection against infection. It will also not be the last variant and it's not clear what lineage any new variant will have but people who are vaccinated and boosted have a much better chance of being protected against disease and helping to contain it.

People keep saying they can make their own choices and I suppose that's true but people make bad choices all the time. And countries have a right to keep people out who make choices inconsistent with their values.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TSaddicted View Post

I love the generalisation of assuming all unvaccinated pretty don't give an f about others.
    Love the generalization that people who don't wear seatbelts aren't safety conscious. Or that people who smoke around young children are less concerned about the welfare of others. I thought it was only wrong to make generalizations if the characteristic you're basing your judgement on has nothing to do with that judgement.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

You could be asymptomatic, which is often what happens with vaxxed people who unknowingly spread the disease.
    There have been studies on transmission rates and a shot that is effective against symptomatic infection tends to be effective in protecting against spread. Three shots do provide protection against infection and pure asymptomatic cases are much less likely to spread disease. Asymptomatic transmission can occur but someone who is sick is more likely to shed lots of virus.

This article was written when delta was dominant but protection against being infected correlates pretty strongly with ability to transmit and three shots of the vaccine provide protection against omicron. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/6403678001/

2 out of 4 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Willingly unvaccinated people are:

1. Less educated than average
    2. Care less about others
    3. More prone to conspiratorial thinking

I'm hoping that a more lethal virus will come along and kill them all, as any society would be better with these people gone.

2 out of 6 members liked this post.
    Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dc_guy_75 View Post
    I'm hoping that a more lethal virus will come along and kill them all, as any society would be better with these people gone.
    a) a more lethal virus may well eliminate more of us than you seem to wish for; and

b) can we stop all this talk of killing? With Jim Jordan endorsing Trump's insinuation that Hillary Clinton's 'spies' infiltrated his campaign in 2016 and should be executed for spying, the day may not be far off when someone with a high public profile does indeed end up dead. There are other ways of dealing with prejudice and ignorance, they are far superior to a bullet in the head.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

Did grooby delete posts of someone owning him again? Typical.

1 out of 3 members liked this post.

Thick, strong and long Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dc_guy_75 View Post
    Willingly unvaccinated people are:

1. Less educated than average
    2. Care less about others
    3. More prone to conspiratorial thinking

Wow. I honestly haven't heard anything so nasty in years! I don't even want to associate myself with such a disgusting comment. I'm trying to find where I can delete this thread.

I'm done

1 out of 2 members liked this post.