Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: Australian Tennis Open 2022

Although the Joker has won the first set, the game might not be over yet. There are questions about him attending social functions maskless after he tested positive last month. Also, he may not have answered truthfully questions about recent travel on his visa application, which would be grounds to cancel it again if the government chose.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-...imbo/100750800

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by filghy2; 01-12-2022 at 04:01 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

And in addition, 'facts' keep changing. 'Sorry I ticked the wrong box' 'Sorry I got the dates mixed up' 'Blame my agent'...

I wonder what would happen if the players refused to play when drawn against him? What about the health safety of the changing rooms? The man isn't doing anyone any favours, so why should he get so many?

filghy2 Silver Poster

Assuming they got the process right this time, the Joker is not going to have the last laugh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-...ster/100748386

His position looks increasingly untenable. Whether or not the Serbian Government will prosecute him is another matter. But is he so self-obsessed to carry on regardless? The number of grand slams he wins doesn't really make him the greatest player of all time, in a sport where the quality of the play is as relevant as the number of wins. The sad fact of the matter is that Djokovic is not loved in the way Federer is, and he does himself no favours with his attitude, though I understand he is an amiable sort of man in private.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The number of grand slams he wins doesn't really make him the greatest player of all time, in a sport where the quality of the play is as relevant as the number of wins.
    I agree. When Agassi won the French in 1999 it mattered a lot more to his legacy than if he won elsewhere because it gave him a victory at each major (McEnroe, Lendl, Sampras, and Borg did not accomplish that). Since Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic have all won at each Grand Slam it is not a very useful tiebreaker. Djokovic did finally beat Nadal at the French which might be significant (Federer beat Soderling when he won his lone French Open) and it would have been significant imo if he had beaten Medvedev at the US Open to have won all four in a calendar year.

I think between the three guys who have won twenty, one or two slams is probably not going to determine who is the greatest. I think Novak probably has the fewest weaknesses and is the most all court, whereas Federer is by far the best shot-maker and is capable of hitting winners from anywhere on court and making it look as graceful as anyone ever has. Finally, I think Nadal is the most mentally tough of the three and probably the physically fittest when he's at his peak. My favorite is Federer because when he is on his game it is almost magical. If there's a way tennis "should be played" it's like that.

At least now we can move on and focus on the game. My predictions are usually dire, but I will go for Zverev in the men's side, and Barty on the other, even though I don't think much of her game. I will be interested to see how far Andy Murray gets.
    Raducanu? Osaka? But let's not forget Leyla Fernandez is an emerging player too.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    At least now we can move on and focus on the game. My predictions are usually dire, but I will go for Zverev in the men's side, and Barty on the other, even though I don't think much of her game. I will be interested to see how far Andy Murray gets.
    Raducanu? Osaka? But let's not forget Leyla Fernandez is an emerging player too.
    Once again an Australian Open whizzing by and I haven't been watching. I saw that Zverev lost to Shapovalov, who I know has a great game, but maybe isn't so consistent from one match to the next. Nadal will be playing Shapovalov in the quarters which should be a lot of fun to watch. Two lefties. I am pulling for Nadal.

Medvedev is still in it and will probably be tough to beat if he stays in form.

On the women's side Osaka, Fernandez, and Raducanu are out. Other than the US Open where I watched all of Leylah Fernandez' matches I have followed women's tennis even less diligently than the men. I enjoyed watching both Raducanu and Fernandez but in retrospect although they are excellent players, there may be a period before they can sustain the form they had at the US Open.

Gold Poster

I woke up this morning thinking I could get the Medvedev scores because I wasn't going to stay up until 3:30 am to watch. Turns out Medvedev is up a break in the fifth set against Auger-Aliassi after dropping the first two. Looks like he'll pull it out.

With all of the tennis Medvedev and Nadal played in their last two days, particularly with the high temperatures on court for Nadal's match at least, I wonder how they'll hold up. Tsitsipas recovered well from his five setter against Fritz and beat Sinner in straight sets so you never know. But the final four on the men's side should be fun.

Incidentally, the Nadal Shavopalov five setter was also on late so I didn't catch Shapovalov's histrionics but I saw clips. Nadal is such a gentleman it's unbelievable. Really hard guy to root against. Vamos Rafa!

filghy2 Silver Poster

Great comeback by Medvedev. The final four have all played long matches recently so I'm not sure it will make a big difference. There have been so many late finishes that I haven't got to see the end of games either.

Mainly I'm hoping Ash Barty can be the first Australian singles winner since 1978. We are in the doubles as well, but I have mixed feelings about those guys, who seem to be stuck permanently in the mentality of teenagers. That's why Kyrgios has never realised his potential and probably never will: lack of maturity and self-discipline.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I see the mens' doubles final is between two Australian pairs, so that one at least is guaranteed