Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gold Poster

Default Re: Australian Tennis Open 2022

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    Great comeback by Medvedev. The final four have all played long matches recently so I'm not sure it will make a big difference. There have been so many late finishes that I haven't got to see the end of games either.

Mainly I'm hoping Ash Barty can be the first Australian singles winner since 1978. We are in the doubles as well, but I have mixed feelings about those guys, who seem to be stuck permanently in the mentality of teenagers. That's why Kyrgios has never realised his potential and probably never will: lack of maturity and self-discipline.
    Mainly I'm hoping Ash Barty can be the first Australian singles winner since 1978. We are in the doubles as well, but I have mixed feelings about those guys, who seem to be stuck permanently in the mentality of teenagers. That's why Kyrgios has never realised his potential and probably never will: lack of maturity and self-discipline.
    I hope Barty wins. That's an exciting story. As for Kyrgios he definitely has the talent. There are some players who are able to produce great tennis while being temperamental, but most are not at their best if they can't control their emotions. I fear that might end up being the case with Shapovalov, who has unreal talent as well.

Occasionally you see someone who loses it frequently and still wins the matches he has meltdowns in. Medvedev is looking a bit like that guy and McEnroe was that guy. Medvedev says and does some harebrained things while winning matches.

I think Medvedev wins the men's singles, but I'm hoping Nadal does.

Gold Poster

In fact, I just watched a clip of Medvedev having a complete blow up against Tsitsipas three years ago and still winning the match. They're playing in the semis so should be a fun one.

Gold Poster

The men's final is going to be Medvedev and Nadal. Against Tsitsipas, Medvedev was yelling at the umpire about coaching in the most obnoxious way. I respect that he can steady himself and still play well after behaving like an ass but it's kind of irritating and smacks of gamesmanship.

After Medvedev won the US Open Tsitsipas said he is playing great tennis but has a one-dimensional game. He serves big, hits hard, flat groundstrokes and despite being 6'6 can move really well laterally. His game isn't the prettiest and neither is his behavior but he's formidable.

We'll see what Rafa can do. The head to head is 3 to 1 Rafa. Medvedev's only win is on indoor hard which usually plays much faster than the courts in Australia so it favored Medvedev. I still think Medvedev is in the best form and will find a way to win.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I don't understand why tennis has this rule against coaching during the game. Does any other sport do that? I can't see that allowing it would make much of a difference, especially as both sides could do it. It just seems to be a rule that creates far more trouble than it is worth.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I don't understand why tennis has this rule against coaching during the game. Does any other sport do that? I can't see that allowing it would make much of a difference, especially as both sides could do it. It just seems to be a rule that creates far more trouble than it is worth.
    A fair point, for at the highest level a player must know what's going on. Maybe with less experienced player a coach can tell his player to serve in a particular way, improve their backhand, go to the net/not go to the net, and so on. Maybe it is not done because it would slow down the game?

I think Nadal might just have the edge over Medvedev, which probably means the reverse will happen! Barty is one of the least impressive players I have seen in the women's game, but it is good to see that one player is not dominating every slam.

Gold Poster

I think a lot of people agree with you. I always liked the fact that the player is out there alone and has to figure out how to win without any input. Technical advice would not be a huge factor at this level but little tips about where to stand on the return or where to hit the serve could matter. And definitely emotional support for some players matters a lot.

I recall that Jim Courier believes he won his first grand slam final against Agassi at the French because of the rain delay. Jose Higueras told him to stand further back on the return to get more balls in play and somehow that was a huge factor. Or maybe the rain delay just broke Agassi's rhythm.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I think Nadal might just have the edge over Medvedev, which probably means the reverse will happen!
    So hard to know but he has now come back from two sets to love to force a fifth set. Whatever happens he is one of the most remarkable competitors I've ever seen.

Daniil has called the fans who are jeering between his first and second serve "idiots". Should be a fun fifth set!

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post

Daniil has called the fans who are jeering between his first and second serve "idiots". Should be a fun fifth set!
    Thought this here was a funny joke.
    https://twitter.com/EvinPriest/status/1487721811949535232

Senior Member Platinum Poster

So the edge, edged it. An amazing player. One wonders, if he is asked, and probably has been, who he thinks is the 'Greatest of All Time', but would hope he says, 'let's drop this daft question'. But yes, Nadal is one of the best players I have ever seen, and yet I wonder if even he now thinks he can carry on with that manic fitness regime. Who knows? At this level, he could play Paris and win it again. But Wimbledon?

And when are the younger players going to start winning more than a Grand Slam here and there?

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    So the edge, edged it. An amazing player. One wonders, if he is asked, and probably has been, who he thinks is the 'Greatest of All Time', but would hope he says, 'let's drop this daft question'. But yes, Nadal is one of the best players I have ever seen, and yet I wonder if even he now thinks he can carry on with that manic fitness regime. Who knows? At this level, he could play Paris and win it again. But Wimbledon?

And when are the younger players going to start winning more than a Grand Slam here and there?
    I think Medvedev played exactly like I thought he would. I simply can't believe Nadal was able to play and win that physical a match at 35 years old.

It's not like 35 is ancient, but Medvedev will be 35 in ten years and I doubt he'll be able to put in the kind of effort he gave today. It was a war of attrition won by the older man.

I'm mixed as to whether Rafa's workout regime is entirely necessary, and he has suffered a lot of injuries in his career, but maybe this kind of endurance is the product of all that work. So if he still loves doing the hard work then maybe he can keep that physique. Vamos!