Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Lightbulb Why the World Rugby guidelines banning trans athletes from womens game are reasonable

https://theconversation.com/why-the-...sonable-152178

I don't write the OpEds....but this is obviously quite controversial.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Why the World Rugby guidelines banning trans athletes from womens game are reason

I used to work with a Rugby Union player which is the only time I watched the games, mostly internationals. For the sake of comparison with the article linked below, JPR Williams, one of the finest players I ever saw, was 14 stone or 88 kilos - and these days some of his tackles would be illegal, just as he was tackled with such ferocity once, he left the field where his father (like JPR a doctor) put 30 stitches into the wounds -and then went back on to finish the match!

The game is still brutal, and the players heavier so I don't know how this impacts the issue of transgendered players, of whom I don't expect there to be many, and not at the international level.

"Modern international rugby players have grown significantly since their counterparts played 25 years ago. In a study, published in the BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine, it revealed that the mean body mass of international players increased from 84.8kg in 1995, to 105.4kg in 2015. This is an increase of 24.3 per cent - nearly a quarter.
    A study conducted by CNN in 2014 looked into the sporting physique evolution of rugby players, presenting a snapshot of three New Zealand backs viewed over 10 year intervals. Over four decades, the research revealed the average height and weight of players increased by four inches and 14kg."
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...nament-3020300

JPR Wiliams-
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...lacks-15357671

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Default Re: Why the World Rugby guidelines banning trans athletes from womens game are reason

I have a few FTM transgender friends of mine who are regularly in the gym all the time and quite huge - one even plays semi-professional American football with genetic men. IMHO, they can hang with the genetic men in Rugby...

"I am, a SIGMA Male...