Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Emma (not Austen)

Belated congratulations to Emma Raducanu on winning the US Open Tennis Championship, and winning the hearts of the British people....but she has to win again, and again, in Melbourne, Paris and Wimbledon to prove she is not just a pretty face with a fierce forearm.... but I wish her the best. There are some hugely over-rated women players on the circuit these days, but I think she and Fernandez have the opportunity to make this part of the game interesting again.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: Emma (not Austen)

There haven't been many multiple major winners among the women in recent times (in stark contrast to the men). Apart from Serena, nobody else has won more than three in the past decade. I thought Naomi Osaka was going to be the next big thing, but she has obviously run into problems.

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    There haven't been many multiple major winners among the women in recent times (in stark contrast to the men). Apart from Serena, nobody else has won more than three in the past decade. I thought Naomi Osaka was going to be the next big thing, but she has obviously run into problems.
    I agree, but I think the upside is that it makes the Grand Slam tournaments less predictable. The real dilemma is the quality of the game, which has declined since Federer's injuries have taken him out, perhaps for good, with Djokovic merely a power player. I stopped watching one of Ashleigh Barty's games at Wimbledon this year because it was of such poor quality, and that I think is why Raducanu and Fernandez have excited the imagination. And let's be frank too: this pair are sought after by the media because they are cute...

Hmmm...Indian Wells....not sure where that is. Hardly a disaster. Meanwhile Norrie wins the men's title but the UK press doesn't go berserk...wonder why?