Thread: Anti-Olympics

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Anti-Olympics

I offer an eloquent, if vicious criticque of the Olympics and its addiction to money, bad politics and social destruction. As if watching doped up athletes wasn't bad enough!

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...acing-athletes

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Default Re: Anti-Olympics

The worst combination of hack and troll scrawls a barrage of criticism about something for which he clearly has a pet-hate. Perhaps he missed out on qualifying for an Olympic event or wasn’t selected because he is a bitter man.

He claims that for the London 2012 games activity rates declined but that was only true for 16-25 year olds and there was an increase overall. This kind of selective quoting from his own paper’s article is not exactly a shining example of journalism.

... and he expects the global viewing populous to not watch at his beck and call, eloquent my ass!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Ouch! But a fair reply.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I was fairly indifferent in the lead-up to the Olympics, but I'm actually enjoying it. Obviously it helps that Australians have been very successful and that it's being held in the right time zone for a change.

Valid criticisms can be made that the Olympics have become too much about money and nationalistic triumphalism. However, that is true of all big-time sport nowadays. There is no feasible way we can go back to the original ideal of amateurs competing as individuals purely on the basis of natural abilities.

The great thing about the Olympics is that it provides an opportunity for sports that would not otherwise get a lot of exposure. Personally, I would be happy to scrap sports like gold, tennis and soccer, for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of achievement.

Professional Poster

no, piss u

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    I was fairly indifferent in the lead-up to the Olympics, but I'm actually enjoying it. Obviously it helps that Australians have been very successful and that it's being held in the right time zone for a change.

Valid criticisms can be made that the Olympics have become too much about money and nationalistic triumphalism. However, that is true of all big-time sport nowadays. There is no feasible way we can go back to the original ideal of amateurs competing as individuals purely on the basis of natural abilities.

The great thing about the Olympics is that it provides an opportunity for sports that would not otherwise get a lot of exposure. Personally, I would be happy to scrap sports like gold, tennis and soccer, for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of achievement.
    Agreed ! Although I love the Olympics tradition I found the coverage offensive and demeaning ,not to mention the endless commercials ,so much so that I stopped watching. Pity that such a noble tradition has come to this , I wish that the event could be broadcast on a venue such as PBS .

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I offer an eloquent, if vicious criticque of the Olympics and its addiction to money, bad politics and social destruction. As if watching doped up athletes wasn't bad enough!

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...acing-athletes
    I found this article from the Guardian to be informative and though, as you say "vicious" , I think that viciousness is necessary to raise our consciousness about what a sordid commercial enterprise the noble tradition of the Olympics has become.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

lol xd