Still Here 5 Star Poster

Default Important transgender rights victory in New York City

In a small but significant victory for transgender rights, the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund announced Monday that it has reached an agreement with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in New York City that allows people to use MTA public restrooms in accordance with their gender expression.

The agreement arose from a complaint filed by the TLDEF and the New York City Commission on Human Rights on behalf of Helena Stone, 70, a transgender woman who had been arrested and continually harassed by MTA police officers due to her gender identity.

Stone had been assigned to repair pay telephones at Grand Central station in 2005 by her employer, Verizon. MTA police arrested her three times—twice in 2005, in September and December, and once more in January of this year—when surveillance footage showed her entering the women's restroom.

MTA quickly dropped all criminal charges after a TLDEF-organized protest rally, but no steps were taken to ensure there would be no further harassment of Stone or any other transgender person. TLDEF then requested an injunction to bar MTA from continuing to violate Stone's rights as outlined in the New York City Human Rights Law, which forbids discrimination against transgender people.

As part of the final settlement, MTA agreed to allow people to choose the restroom most consistent with their gender expression, implement gender sensitivity and training programs for MTA employees, and pay $2,000 in damages to Stone.

"I only wanted to go to work and live my life as who I am," said Stone in response to her legal victory. (The Advocate)

who would have thought the MTA would lead the way on transgender rights. This is a great victory and hopefully will establish a precedent.

Rookie Poster

sounds stupid to me.

"accordance with their gender expression". how can you prove someone 's gender expression.

Junior Poster

A local NYC evening news covered the story and it was a sad affair.

First after telling of the decision, they went "live" to Grand Central Terminal, showing one of the lady's bathrooms, then interviewing several women about their reactions to the decision, it was not pretty.

First woman stated the decision was wrong, as a "man is a man". Next woman said it was also wrong and "disgusting", another woman stated it was wrong because "what if they say they are transexuals and turn out to be perverts instead?".

The last comment concluded the live coverage, and upon returning to the news room, both anchor people were giggling and shaking their heads, then one said "here is our Weather PERSON, to tell us about the chilly weather". The weather person was also laughing/giggling and said "Yes, am your weather Person", (more giggling) "moving on from that subject..." still giggling/laughing but then she started reporting the weather.

All in all it was apparent all thought the MTA had lost it's mind, and it was one huge joke.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Star
    A local NYC evening news covered the story and it was a sad affair.

, another woman stated it was wrong because "what if they say they are transexuals and turn out to be perverts instead?".

While I applaud the decision on many levels and for the precedent it sets, I must admit that I do have mixed emotions about it.

On the one hand women who are truly TS/TG should have the right to use the restroom like any other women. However I too am concerned about perverts and those that are up to some illicit activity.

I know I don't want to be sitting there peeing, and some 'guy' who is a weekend woman is standing there prick in hand

Then, also as has been mentioned does this also open the door to the cross dresser and the transvestite.

What if a 'true' TS or TG is just starting out, and doesn't pass well.

I am seeing this as a logistical nightmare to implement.

Is the only real workable answer, to make all restrooms unisex? I think not.

AND FINALLY, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHERE THE FUCK ARE THESE PUBLIC BATHROOMS?

I have ridden the subways, buses, commuter rail, ferries, etc of the MTA, countless times, and have seen few public toilets, and quite frankly the few that I have seen with exception of Grand Central or Port Authority, I wouldn't want to sit my 'tush' on anyway

Senior Member Veteran Poster

i thought this bylaw would have covered all that kind of stuff

http://www.nyagra.tripod.com/IntNo24.html

:end of transmission: