View Poll Results: Do you forgive JK Rowling's apology?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 25.00%
  • No

5 31.25%
  • I don't care, when's another book coming out?

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default I guess her world isn't so wizarding at all

First off, I am not a fan of Harry Potter. I have not read the books, seen the movies or all of that. The only thing I heard about it is one of the merchandise had to be recalled because kids were abusing it

In December J K Rowling defended a friends statements that got her fired. She took her case to an employment tribunal, asking the judge to rule on whether a philosophical belief that sex is determined by biology is protected in law, and the judge ruled that it wasn’t.

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j...gender-issues/

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Professional Poster Extraordinaire Professional Poster Cereal Escapist's Avatar

Default Re: I guess her world isn't so wizarding at all

honestly, i don't care about her sentiments.

people invest way the fuck too much in what famous people think. there are plenty of people that think in opposition to the way i do and just because someone is famous does not make their opinion any more or less offensive to me.

you don't like the opinion of the red neck bigot in kentucky or the well dressed asshole on wall street, ignore them. same goes here except that you can also choose to voice your opinion economically with famous people but even there, the new series of movies based on fantastic beasts is crap anyway so I'd have skipped the next installment either. you could also speak out against bloomsbury and WB as well....but the point is, do i really care what some twat who I will never meet personally has to say when she is not anyone of any consequence? Nope!!!

She is not an elected official nor is she any type of activist. she is just someone with an opinion and a twitter account and you know, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    -----
    ...on the matter of my lust, it appears clothes maketh woman!!!

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dudedude12345 View Post
    First off, I am not a fan of Harry Potter. I have not read the books, seen the movies or all of that. The only thing I heard about it is one of the merchandise had to be recalled because kids were abusing it

In December J K Rowling defended a friends statements that got her fired. She took her case to an employment tribunal, asking the judge to rule on whether a philosophical belief that sex is determined by biology is protected in law, and the judge ruled that it wasn’t.

Glad I did a search--I was just getting ready to post this link.

Her reasons for "speaking out on sex and gender issues" sure come across as transphobic, especially the fifth one. It just floors me that anyone thinks someone would try to use being trans as a loophole to sneak into a ladies' room and molest someone. There's just no logic to that at all.

6 out of 6 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Escapist View Post
    honestly, i don't care about her sentiments.

people invest way the fuck too much in what famous people think. there are plenty of people that think in opposition to the way i do and just because someone is famous does not make their opinion any more or less offensive to me.

you don't like the opinion of the red neck bigot in kentucky or the well dressed asshole on wall street, ignore them. same goes here except that you can also choose to voice your opinion economically with famous people but even there, the new series of movies based on fantastic beasts is crap anyway so I'd have skipped the next installment either. you could also speak out against bloomsbury and WB as well....but the point is, do i really care what some twat who I will never meet personally has to say when she is not anyone of any consequence? Nope!!!

She is not an elected official nor is she any type of activist. she is just someone with an opinion and a twitter account and you know, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
    From what I've seen, most people love/hate opinions and express outrage or support when that opinion either falls in line with their views or is against their views.
    It's rare that people simply respect an opinion and move on in silence...

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

Junior Poster

Do I forgive her apology? She didnt apologize. She has a lot of people in complete uprage and it will be interesting what happens. Her work is hugely popular, otherwise she would have been cancel cultured already.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by davo757 View Post
    Do I forgive her apology? She didnt apologize. She has a lot of people in complete uprage and it will be interesting what happens. Her work is hugely popular, otherwise she would have been cancel cultured already.
    The bigger question is (regardless of topic) is whether or not an apology is required when someone states an opinion that you disagree with and offends you?
    Personally speaking, quite a few individuals have voiced perspectives on subject matters that irk me.

But...I do not EXPECT an apology from them....

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Dudedude12345 View Post
    A few points:

1) The link to Rowling's statement contains this paragraph, and I don't think anyone here will disagree with it:

"I believe the majority of trans-identified people not only pose zero threat to others, but are vulnerable for all the reasons I’ve outlined. Trans people need and deserve protection. Like women, they’re most likely to be killed by sexual partners. Trans women who work in the sex industry, particularly trans women of colour, are at particular risk. Like every other domestic abuse and sexual assault survivor I know, I feel nothing but empathy and solidarity with trans women who’ve been abused by men."

2) A lot of what annoys Rowling is the organized abuse from a marginal group within a marginal group with a pseudo-Derridan view on the fluid nature of gender categories that I suggest is beyond what Rowling understands, or maybe just does not accept philosophically, as she does appear to have sympathy with transgendered issues. For what its worth, and it may seem a trivial example, a close friend who had SRS two years ago, is opposed to post-ops taking part in beauty pageants as females, because she says it is a step too far, and to argue vigorously in favour of it is to make assumptions about other transgendered women who don't want to take part and may even regard beauty pageants as offensive- the diversity of views transgendered people have means that the 'ultras' don't necessariy represent everyone in that situation, though I do think the number of men claiming to be women or 'women' so that they can enter Female Only changing rooms or toilets is exaggerated.

3) the danger comes from those using Rowling's position, and regardless of what she actaually says and supports- to promote the argument that if 'we' do not protect the 'values' of 'White Civlization' we are giving in to the Liberals, Marxists and 'Common Purpose' radicals whose background is self-hating 'guilty' Whites, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Jewish, Gay and Muslim radicals who by incremental birth and their 'march through the institutions' are diluting the White Experience -it amounts to the 'Race Replacement' theory which includes the breakdown of traditional marriage and with it accepted claims that a Man is a Man, and a Woman is Woman, and thus shall it always be.

There is a timely article on this and how it reflects the 'resistance' to Black Lives Matter from 'the usual suspects', and how the issues Rowling refers to may manipulated to become a broader attack on what some of us call 'progress'.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tion-far-right

Senior Member Junior Poster

she should stick to writing fiction, because her "apology" is rife with it. She claims the UK has experienced a 4400% increase in ftm transitions. she doesn't offer a time frame explicitly but she implies a 10 year period from the context. She provided no evidence. my research found no such trend.
    she later claims that 60-90 of dysphoric teens abandoned their transitions, again providing no evidence. Reported evidence indicates that percentage of young children who report dysphoria outgrow it. No such evidence exists for teens.
    She's very influential, and she's a fucking liar. And, her hair is to orangy. Indeed, she has more than that in common with the transphobe in chiefClick image for larger version. 

Name:	rowling.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	1255923

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Op Preferred View Post
    she should stick to writing fiction, because her "apology" is rife with it.
    Is she required to make an apology?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Is she required to make an apology?
    She made one, so that's moot.

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo