Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Covid-19 Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putin View Post
    As of mid-April I am fully vaccinated. Exactly two weeks after my second dose, I had a private session with a female GG bodybuilder. It was my first hug in 14 months.
    I assume it was a Bear Hug...? Anyway, you are still breathing. But if in Russia, and a bodybuilder, are you sure she was GG?

President of Russia Veteran Poster Vladimir Putin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I assume it was a Bear Hug...? Anyway, you are still breathing. But if in Russia, and a bodybuilder, are you sure she was GG?
    It was Marilyn Yee, she’s from Hong Kong. Google her.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Some of the best news that I have heard all year:

People vaccinated against Covid-19 can go without masks indoors and outdoors, CDC says

http:// https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/...ted/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    Some of the best news that I have heard all year:

People vaccinated against Covid-19 can go without masks indoors and outdoors, CDC says
    On one level, yes, good news. But as a matter of personal choice, will you wear a mask in certain places, for example, on a bus or on the Subway?

The UK enters a more relaxed era next Monday, but concerns are rising about the 'Indian Variant' because of claims in India that it is infecting people who have been vaccinated, more so because in some parts of the UK, Bolton in particular, new 'Indian Variant' Covid cases have surged and most of them in the younger age group that has yet to be vaccinated, though one notes the cases have so far not led to hospitalization or death -but even the Prime Minister is 'anxious' about it, so the possbility of renewed but 'local' lockdowns being re-imposed is still an option for the Govt.

The details are in the reports from Sky (scroll down for the specifics on Bolton)-
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-new...tions-12302400

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    On one level, yes, good news. But as a matter of personal choice, will you wear a mask in certain places, for example, on a bus or on the Subway?

The UK enters a more relaxed era next Monday, but concerns are rising about the 'Indian Variant' because of claims in India that it is infecting people who have been vaccinated, more so because in some parts of the UK, Bolton in particular, new 'Indian Variant' Covid cases have surged and most of them in the younger age group that has yet to be vaccinated, though one notes the cases have so far not led to hospitalization or death -but even the Prime Minister is 'anxious' about it, so the possbility of renewed but 'local' lockdowns being re-imposed is still an option for the Govt.

The details are in the reports from Sky (scroll down for the specifics on Bolton)-
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-new...tions-12302400
    As of right now, I still have to wear a mask on the bus or on the subway.

But as soon as that gets lifted, I will no longer continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    As of right now, I still have to wear a mask on the bus or on the subway.

But as soon as that gets lifted, I will no longer continue to do so.
    That's your choice, but for my part I shall wear a mask if I am on a crowded bus or train, and if I am on the London Underground when I am there. I think it is a question of how close I am to others, and so far I don't know what I shall do if I return to the cinema, opera house, concert hall -I can get to the cinema for afternoon shows where there aren't so many people.

In the UK we now have the potential that the 'Indian variant' may not allow the 'final stage' of the lockdown in June to proceed as hoped, but it is still to early to say. That said, it does mean Governments need to factor in the risk or be caught out. I tend to be more cautious than a lot of people, but that doesn't meant I am right.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

I am similar Stavros but I've given in a few times. I was at a function and everyone was vaccinated. Everyone took off their mask and I kept mine on most of the time but did have the mask off at times. I've had a couple of situations like this.

In my view, I am okay with the idea of people who are vaccinated having their masks off but I don't actually trust people to be honest about whether they've been vaccinated (unless I know them). We've had a pretty wild anti-mask movement in this country and these people have shown they have no compunction about lying and don't give a shit about anyone else's health.

As a matter of practicality, a vaccine that reduces mortality for covid by about 95% should bring the mortality rate to levels similar to what we accept without masks. It's just that I don't mind wearing one given that lots of people are still dying and the virus is circulating a lot in my area.

Stavros is also right about the variants. What percent of the circulating virus is either the South African variant or the newer variant from Brazil? Probably low but still it is out there. I've had pfizer shots and the only studies of the effectiveness against the SA variant (b.1.351) is in vitro and the antibodies showed reduced neutralizing ability....so we know it's less effective, but in the real world, not how much. As filghy had pointed out a ways back, might be different types of effectiveness v plain old disease as opposed to severe disease as opposed to death, but I don't want to find out.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    As a matter of practicality, a vaccine that reduces mortality for covid by about 95% should bring the mortality rate to levels similar to what we accept without masks.
    This is a simplification but I think generally applies. The complexity includes what Stavros said about variants and also special populations. I would wear a mask around my nieces and nephews and my uncle who is older and very weak.

I wear it generally just because I feel a bit safer that way and I don't mind wearing it but I think people should consider wearing them if they're in a setting with a lot of vulnerable people. It makes them feel better probably. But I did anticipate we get to a point where vaccinated people will mostly not be wearing masks and while I'm okay with it I still keep it on as an additional layer of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    This is a simplification but I think generally applies. The complexity includes what Stavros said about variants and also special populations. I would wear a mask around my nieces and nephews and my uncle who is older and very weak.

I wear it generally just because I feel a bit safer that way and I don't mind wearing it but I think people should consider wearing them if they're in a setting with a lot of vulnerable people. It makes them feel better probably. But I did anticipate we get to a point where vaccinated people will mostly not be wearing masks and while I'm okay with it I still keep it on as an additional layer of safety.
    Key points -a) if I continue to wear a mask on public transport it is a more general protection against other people's smells and expectorations; and b) the problem with the 'Indian variant' is that we don't know enough about it, whether vaccinated people infected need hospitalization, whether it is lethal, or just a nuisance, and its threat to young people. In general I think a lot is now know about the virus, how it behaves when it enters the body, and how to combat it -each variant will have a unique character, but I don't think the variants are unbeatable, it is just a matter of time as the experts monitor its behaviour, just as 'flu vaccines are amended every year to take account of variants.

We are still in the thick of this pandemic, even if we can see the light. And by 'we' I mean the more advanced economies, I don't know how it is effecting people in rural areas of the world where health care is rudimentary or even non-existent. Indeed, I believe at this stage of the epidemiology of Covid, the key issues are political, economic and social, rather than medical -the three former conspiring to provide the latter with a home.

Considering how badly the CDC botched this whole thing about vaccinated people no longer having to wear masks indoors and outdoors. Along with certain governors all of sudden saying they're not going to follow the science and data and say they're going to decide for themselves when mask mandates can be lifted, I now wish the CDC hadn't said anything in the first place.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.