Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast

Default Re: Covid-19 Politics

Wow ,you have a prodigious memory ,broncofan. Thanks.
    Yes, back in May 2020 on page 31 of the "Corona Virus" thread I posted this excellent "New Yorker" magazine article about the pressing need to develop 'broad spectrum' antiviral medications as opposed to the "whack a mole" approach of the astronomically expensive and time consuming method of creating a bespoke vaccine for every new virus that pokes it's head up in the coming years.
    Here's the article again.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-pandemic-pill

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by sukumvit boy; 10-03-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Yes , get your Pfizer booster, I did.
    Or , for the hands down best antibody response, catch Covid ,get your Moderna or Pfizer #1 and #2 ,than throw in a mixed booster. Oh ,and don't forget your flu shot!
    The flu shot was a given. Since my job will begin administering that and the Pfizer booster this week, I will probably just wind up getting both of them out of the way by Friday.

The only reason why I'm interested in the Moderna booster as an option is because one article I recently read described it as a "sledgehammer", while calling Pfizer a "hammer."

Then there was this article:

Did Pfizer Peak Too Soon?

www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/10/pfizer-won-vaccine-race-was-there-downside/620276/

It would be interesting to see the data on "breakthrough" cases (Although from the evidence that I have seen they're are still not as common as first time infections) and how many people were vaccinated with Pfizer vs Moderna.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Merck developed a new antiviral drug called molnupiravir and the phase iii trials show significant reduction in hospitalization and death.
    It will be interesting to see what attitude the hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin spruikers take toward this.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I had to laugh after reading that Ron De Santis has suggested breaking off diplomatic relations with Australia over its Covid restrictions. Apparently he is unaware that the US is close allies with actual dictatorships like Saudi Arabia.
    https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...4bdcbdd62a8cd5

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what attitude the hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin spruikers take toward this.
    The interesting thing is there are all shades of this. Some people don't want to sound like cranks so they take a middle position even when the middle position is still unreasonable.

Some of those who don't want to get vaccinated insist they will take regeneron's zillion dollar monoclonal antibody cocktail at the first sign of illness. Monoclonal antibodies were interesting before there were vaccines and when there was hope they could be administered in severe disease (they were ineffective in severe disease). They are only effective if given early on though probably not as much as regeneron and lilly hoped. Still, at least it's a treatment.

But I bet the hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin nutters will be looking to play up any side effect they can find for molnupiravir. And the FDA warns against having unprotected sex while taking it because it can lead to birth defects. My guess is they're going to be making broader claims about dangerous side effects than the evidence supports...

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    I had to laugh after reading that Ron De Santis has suggested breaking off diplomatic relations with Australia over its Covid restrictions. Apparently he is unaware that the US is close allies with actual dictatorships like Saudi Arabia.
    https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...4bdcbdd62a8cd5
    Some Republicans have made puzzling claims about Australia including comparisons to China in terms of personal liberties. Quite sad and delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    The flu shot was a given. Since my job will begin administering that and the Pfizer booster this week, I will probably just wind up getting both of them out of the way by Friday.

The only reason why I'm interested in the Moderna booster as an option is because one article I recently read described it as a "sledgehammer", while calling Pfizer a "hammer."

Then there was this article:

Did Pfizer Peak Too Soon?

www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/10/pfizer-won-vaccine-race-was-there-downside/620276/

It would be interesting to see the data on "breakthrough" cases (Although from the evidence that I have seen they're are still not as common as first time infections) and how many people were vaccinated with Pfizer vs Moderna.
    Nice article from "The Atlantic". thanks blackchubby38. You pose some very interesting questions ,the answers to which will become available as time goes on and more studies are done. But for now at least we that have been vaccinated can at least be reasonably sure of avoiding hospitalization and death from Covid .

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Looks like its a good thing I went ahead and just got the Pfizer booster shot.

Reuters
    U.S. FDA staff says Moderna did not meet all criteria for COVID-19 boosters

www.yahoo.com/news/moderna-seeks-covid-19-vaccine-130758511.html

Senior Member Platinum Poster

¡Hola! Rafael! Will Senator Cruz run for the White House, or run away in embarrassment? Is he ever embarrassed by himself?

"Chief Minister Michael Gunner has hit out at a controversial US politician who bashed the introduction of the Northern Territory’s wide-ranging Covid vaccine mandate.
    Last week Texas Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican, criticised the Australian government’s handling of the pandemic, labelling it “disgraceful and sad” in a scathing post.
    He shared a video footage of a press conference from Mr Gunner, in which the Chief Minister announced fines for people who didn’t comply with tough vaccine rules.
    “I love the Aussies. Their history of rugged independence is legendary; I’ve always said Australia is the Texas of the Pacific,” Mr Cruz said.
    “The Covid tyranny of their current government is disgraceful and sad. Individual liberty matters. I stand with the people of Australia.”
    His post attracted a massive response online, and on Monday Mr Gunner joined in, defending his approach to Covid.
    “Hey Ted Cruz, g’day from the Northern Territory in Australia. Here are some facts. Nearly 70,000 Texans have tragically died from Covid. There have been zero deaths in the Territory. Did you know that?” he wrote." (My emphasis in Bold).
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/o...313ee65b68fab6

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    “I love the Aussies. Their history of rugged independence is legendary; I’ve always said Australia is the Texas of the Pacific,” Mr Cruz said.
    “The Covid tyranny of their current government is disgraceful and sad. Individual liberty matters. I stand with the people of Australia.”
    Aside from anything else, her evidently doesn't understand that Australia is a federation with multiple governments - though I'm sure they would all qualify as tyrannies on his criteria. But I doubt that embarrassment is even possible in today's Republican Party.