Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by ls1290 View Post
    Stupid news/media does not report that the common flu virus so far as been more dangerous. The only thing they seem to report is information that causes more panic and stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Track it here without media interference:
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

This coronavirus is new, so the danger is unknown, but over 7,000 have died so far. And there's no vaccine for it.
    According to John Hopkins University's tracker site, there is a 4.29% mortality rate (total deaths divided by total confirmed cases). Something like 1 out of 25 people is extraordinarily high --- and far more fatal than common influenza!

Of course, given the worldwide shortage of test kits, the number of infections it likely much higher. On the other hand, through, JHU's data necessarily relies countries accurately (i.e., not under) reporting the number of deaths. I am highly suspicious that the data from China and Iran under reports fatal cases. Also, for example, JHU's data does not even include North Korea, where South Korean and western defense analysts have seen clear signs of a massively deadly COVID-19 outbreak.

All of which is to say, i simply shocked by how many messages I'm getting on Grindr right now looking for hookups. I think it is absolutely insane that people are still hooking up with randoms!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Lorca81; 03-21-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

This coronavirus is deadly serious. Although those teens and twenties think they can get the virus in a bar or social event and suffer no ill effects, don't forget that when you go home you could easily pass it on to your parents without realising it and for them it could be very very serious. Please, please keep away from crowded places until advised it is safe. Could you live with the thought you had accidentally infected friends and family. Not far from where I live someone who didn't know they were infected went to church last weekend and infected 24 people. Like I say, this coronavirus is very very dangerous.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

TS Dominatrix Junior Poster AlexisDVyne's Avatar

Ya it's hitting the fan now!

2 million with no jobs in Canada & 20 million in the USA & climbing!

There's no way the governments are going to implement their programs in time to get people money for April's rent or even May's rent I'd say..

Especially when people at that level start getting sick too.. It's going to be a shit show of epic diarrhea proportions!

Here we don't have enough tests, they are not testing everyone with symptoms and they are not tracing contacts..

The USA & Canada are both heading for Italy type conditions!

The government will NEVER tell us that the supply chains are going to fail.. or that the banks will close..

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/AlexisDVyne

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca81 View Post
    According to John Hopkins University's tracker site, there is a 4.29% mortality rate (total deaths divided by total confirmed cases). Something like 1 out of 25 people is extraordinarily high --- and far more fatal than common influenza!
    The death rate for common influenza is about 0.1%, so even on the lower range estimates of a 1% mortality rate COVID-19 is 10 times more deadly. It's also almost twice as contagious as common flu - it's estimated that infected person infects 2-2.5 people compared to 1.3 for regular flu. https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...o-flu/12073696

Member Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    The death rate for common influenza is about 0.1%, so even on the lower range estimates of a 1% mortality rate COVID-19 is 10 times more deadly. It's also almost twice as contagious as common flu - it's estimated that infected person infects 2-2.5 people compared to 1.3 for regular flu. https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...o-flu/12073696
    Yeah, pretty much that average seems to be the most accurate when you exclude the global average and just look up your local average according to the JH website. It’s also what Dr. Anthony Fauci hinted it could be after ‘all’ the numbers were in. We all do what we have to do and play it day by day.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisDVyne View Post

There's no way the governments are going to implement their programs in time to get people money for April's rent or even May's rent I'd say..

Especially when people at that level start getting sick too.. It's going to be a shit show of epic diarrhea proportions!

Here we don't have enough tests, they are not testing everyone with symptoms and they are not tracing contacts..

The government will NEVER tell us that the supply chains are going to fail.. or that the banks will close..
    The demographics between our countries and Italy are not the same, so I don’t know what you base that on.

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Why social distancing is a good thing:

5 out of 5 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Professional Poster

Hopefully you'll be alright, Alexis. Please be safe and stay safe.

filghy2 Silver Poster

That's unlikely to happen because every government knows it will be toast if it allows essential services to break down. Even an idiot like Trump finally worked out that it would be in his own interest to take this seriously.

Maintaining the supply of essentials should be feasible, as governments have emergency powers they can use to ensure this. We are going to have an excess of able-bodied people sitting at home, not a shortage. The shortages we've seen recently are due to a surge in panic buying - supply chains just take a while to catch up.

Keeping banks open is straightforward, because the central bank can supply them with unlimited amounts of money. Lehman Brothers only failed in 2008 because they chose to let it fail, and it was not a deposit-taking bank anyway.