Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: Coronavirus

not only no vaccine, but no proven effective meds, unlike flu, which can be mitigated with Tamiflu

Member Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Track it here without media interference:
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

This coronavirus is new, so the danger is unknown, but over 7,000 have died so far. And there's no vaccine for it.
    I wonder how much of this is correct. I know a few cases that "died because of coronavirus" and you read the article and they had stage 4 cancer. It's like saying the guy died of a heart attack, but ignoring the car that hit him.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Superrage View Post
    I wonder how much of this is correct. I know a few cases that "died because of coronavirus" and you read the article and they had stage 4 cancer. It's like saying the guy died of a heart attack, but ignoring the car that hit him.
    I think you are missing the point. It's people with serious pre-existing conditions that are most at risk of dying from the corona-virus. Even if they were at risk of dying anyway, catching the virus would bring it on earlier. Your analogy is around the wrong way - the virus is the car that hits them.

5 out of 5 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ls1290 View Post
    Stupid news/media does not report that the common flu virus so far as been more dangerous. The only thing they seem to report is information that causes more panic and stupidity.
    It's important to distinguish between two different issues:
    1. What's the risk to a normal person who is not elderly and doesn't have an existing condition that could make them vulnerable?
    2. What's the risk that the health system will be overwhelmed by an upsurge in serious cases, resulting in more deaths because people can't get treatment?

Maybe the risk to normal people is not so great, but it's mainly the second issue that is motivating the restrictions. They are trying to slow the spread of the virus (flatten the curve) so that the health system is better able to cope. Even though lots of people die from normal flu it's not such an issue because there isn't a sudden massive surge in cases, so the health system can cope.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by filghy2; 03-18-2020 at 02:58 AM.

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superrage View Post
    I consider Johns Hopkins University as credible a source as you can get. Do you know a more credible one?

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

TS Dominatrix Junior Poster AlexisDVyne's Avatar

Personally I think it's quite serious..

Health wise, my lungs are atypical and this could be very bad if I get it. I'm vaccinated against most types of pneumonia but this is a viral one with no vaccine as of yet..

Most things fail to kill me tho and make me suffer horribly for days or weeks instead.. It's been many years since I had a lung infection tho..

Financially this is going to be a DISASTER!

Let the billionaires bail out their own shit tho! Don't use tax dollars for that!

5 out of 5 members liked this post.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/AlexisDVyne

Professional Poster

Hopefully, you'll be fine, Alexis.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Hopefully she will, but it depends a lot on other people doing the right thing and following the medical advice about hygiene, social distancing, self-isolation etc. The more people don't do that because it's inconvenient and they think the risks are exaggerated, the more people like Alexis will be put at risk.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

i like how people are saying this shit is overblown. it's not. OK, stockpiling loo roll is funny. but then even if most people have minor symptoms, then it means many people off work. schools, shops, etc. shutting down.
    it's an unpopular opinion but I support the shutdowns.
    people aren't taking this shit really seriously. Like I see people sneezing out loud in public - DUDE. don't people think? even if they smelt some ground pepper or have an allergy, i don't give a shit. it's a bitch that there are no sports. And i was really hoping to go to a sex club in London and Paris but thishas to be put on hold. but there the greater good has to trump all this shit.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

From what I see, the EU is banning travel.

Just a question to any girls here - has business gone down? Most big cities in Europe are being locked down. I know London has been a ghost town lately. Hard times i know, but we'll all pull through.